Which franchises wouldn't suffer attendance issues under these conditions?

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
Up to and including the 2009/2010 season the CBJ have placed on average, 25th overall in a 30 team league. Only one season with a record better than 0.500; one playoff appearance (as an eighth seed - swept in four games). Yet they've averaged 16.5K a night, over that span. Their fans should be applauded, not degraded.

I don't know why people keep including seasons before 2005-2006. 05-06 was when "parity" was achieved through the salary cap. Even salary "floor" teams were spending more then teams just 5 seasons prior (Oiler's payroll 2001ish was ~$19M-$22M)

Anyways, I'm not knocking Columbus. Good on them on their dedication as well; even with consistently poor teams.

jacketracket*

I don't know why people keep including seasons before 2005-2006. 05-06 was when "parity" was achieved through the salary cap. Even salary "floor" teams were spending more then teams just 5 seasons prior (Oiler's payroll 2001ish was ~$19M-$22M)

Anyways, I'm not knocking Columbus. Good on them on their dedication as well; even with consistently poor teams.
What does league parity and cap spending have to do with the fact that a team in a new market and with a consistently crappy on-ice product still managed to average 16.5K over its first nine seasons?

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Philly is also an outlier, but on the opposite spectrum (pun!!) of the Leafs, in that they have been so successful for the majority of their franchise life, that no one can really say what would happen if the wheels fell off.

To the best of my knowledge, the Flyers have never experienced prolonged futility.

Also, Montreal was falling in the late '90s/ early '00s in terms of attendance, but they quickly resurged after they returned to the playoffs. It really is all about degree.

Since 1996, 1 season under 20 000 (the only team in the league with this stats) with several mediocres seasons.
Since 2005, sold out for 100% of the games (21 273).

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
What does league parity and cap spending have to do with the fact that a team in a new market and with a consistently crappy on-ice product still managed to average 16.5K over its first nine seasons?

It eliminates excuses from other markets that they couldn't compete with the big spenders of the prior era (aka, Edmonton) as a reason for why attendance was lacking.

Good on Columbus for continuing their attendance before and after the lockout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad