Which franchises have been the best investments?

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
The Hurricanes announced that they turned a profit last year, so i'm not sure where Forbes got those numbers from..

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
Before interest and taxes, the Canes were looking at roughly $500,000 worth of income from operations. They turned a proft but not much. But, at least they turned a profit!

Hey, 500K is a heck of alot better than the -14 million Forbes has them at :)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
NJD and NYI probably have the best 2 tv deals in the league. Cablevision is owned by the owner of the Rangers, and he had to pay a lot in order to keep his competitors down.

That's also because of the Yankees and Mets starting their own tv networks. The original plan for the YES network was to have the Yankees, Nets, and Devils (Once their cablevision deal ran out). The Newark arena was also supposed to serve as studios for YES. However when YankeesNets dissolved and the Nets and Devils were sold those plans changed. When the Mets started the talks about their new network I think they talked to both Islanders and Devils about a deal with the network as Sportsnet new work needed (and still does) winter programming. After the Yankees, Mets, and Nets left cablevision for their own networks it left Cablevision with no summer programming for their 2 channels and they were forced to pay big to keep the Devils and Islanders so they would not loose any more programming. Thus the Islanders and Devils got great tv deals because of the fierce compition there is among regional sports channels in metro New York. Most cities only have 1 rsn New York has 4 (2 of which are owned by the same company)all competing against the other 2 for programming.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
That's also because of the Yankees and Mets starting their own tv networks. The original plan for the YES network was to have the Yankees, Nets, and Devils (Once their cablevision deal ran out). The Newark arena was also supposed to serve as studios for YES. However when YankeesNets dissolved and the Nets and Devils were sold those plans changed. When the Mets started the talks about their new network I think they talked to both Islanders and Devils about a deal with the network as Sportsnet new work needed (and still does) winter programming. After the Yankees, Mets, and Nets left cablevision for their own networks it left Cablevision with no summer programming for their 2 channels and they were forced to pay big to keep the Devils and Islanders so they would not loose any more programming. Thus the Islanders and Devils got great tv deals because of the fierce compition there is among regional sports channels in metro New York. Most cities only have 1 rsn New York has 4 (2 of which are owned by the same company)all competing against the other 2 for programming.

Uh, no.

The Isles lucrative cable deal predates YankeesNets and YES by almost two decades - it goes back to the deal that Dolan/Cablevision signed with John Pickett in 1982, modified and extended over the years. When the Isles sold in 1998 to Milstein and Gluckstern, over half of the $195M price was just for the cable rights. The Isles Cable deal extends through 2030 (at $15M+/yr).

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Uh, no.

The Isles lucrative cable deal predates YankeesNets and YES by almost two decades - it goes back to the deal that Dolan/Cablevision signed with John Pickett in 1982, modified and extended over the years. When the Isles sold in 1998 to Milstein and Gluckstern, over half of the $195M price was just for the cable rights. The Isles Cable deal extends through 2030 (at $15M+/yr).

I am mistaken. I thought the Islanders had reupped recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad