Which franchise has "failed" the most: Toronto, St.Louis, Buffalo, or Vancouver?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
TeamLast Stanley CupStanley Cup drought
Toronto Maple Leafs1966–6750 seasons
St. Louis Bluesnever (inception of franchise in 1967–68)50 seasons
Buffalo Sabresnever (inception of franchise in 1970–71)47 seasons
Vancouver Canucksnever (inception of franchise in 1970–71)47 seasons
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There are other standards beside championships that we could mention (like Florida's not having won a playoff series for 22 years!), but the four franchises shown above have the longest span of Cup-less years.

Just for fun -- and of course longtime fans of those teams should chip in -- which of the four franchises above do you think has "failed" (however you want to interpret it) the most?

It's a funny thing: maybe from the Canadian perspective, while Toronto and Vancouver are often noted as franchises with playoff or franchise failures, we don't usually think of Buffalo or St.Louis as having failed, but in fact their Cup-less runs of a half-century are becoming remarkable.

Which one has failed its fanbase the most?

I think I would tend to name Toronto as the biggest failure, in the sense that they have the world's #1 hockey market and all kinds of resources, but since Toronto has won several championships before expansion, isn't it more accurate to name another franchise? Ignoring pre-1967, however, the Leafs don't look too good. Not once from 1967 to 1999 (32 years) did they manage a .600 regular season. And unlike St.Louis, Buffalo, and Vancouver, the Leafs since '67 have never made it to the Finals.

Or, maybe the winner here is St.Louis, because 50 seasons without a Cup. But St.Louis was the best of the early expansion teams (three Finals' trips), and made the playoffs every year from 1980 to 2004 inclusive. They've also been quite competitive much of the past six or seven years.

Buffalo had its successes from the mid-70s to early-80s, and then the Hasek-backed team made the Finals in 1999. Since 2001, the Sabres have made the playoffs only 4 times in 16 seasons -- but prior to that, they'd missed only 3 times in 27 years.

Despite their unlikely '82 Finals run, Vancouver were probably never in championship contention for the franchise's first 21 seasons. But since 1991-92, they've had a lot of good years ('94 and '11 Finalists, five 1st-place seasons in a row from '09 to '13).

What do you think?

Reactions: Killion

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Rangers. One cup since Hitler.
Well yes, the time-period under scrutiny is arbitrary. I guess I'm asking about "since expansion (1967)".

If we're going back to 1941 onward, it has to the Rangers that have failed most. If we're looking at since the Lockout, it's got to be Edmonton (since 2006 anyway).

But I'm asking about since 1967...

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
St.Louis Blues. Had an amazing 26 year streak of making the playoffs. We're contenders on a routine basis from 1990 until the lockout. Then again from 2011 until last season. The first three seasons of their existence, they made the Cup Finals, but that should not be taken seriously, as they were in an incredibly weak division, and were swept easily.

The Blues just seem like choke artists, only making it past the second round twice in their last 30 years, despite having some excellent teams.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
When I was young, at the end of the 1970's...

Buffalo was much respected, had a Stanley Cup Final run in 1975 and several years of competitive playoff hockey with the vaulted French Connection. In the 1980's they were okay and in the 1990's Hasek stardom led to high expectations and inspirational play. After Hasek left, that's when the team lost its competitiveness. So the franchise has only been a disappointment for the last 15 years. And yet they have two superstar hyped potentials and optimism nowadays.

St. Louis had three Stanley Cup Finals runs in its past but was basically an also-ran. It set the NHL record with 25 consecutive playoff appearances, and not a single Stanley Cup Final appearance to show for it. They had a HHOF career with Bernie Federko, though leaguewide the induction isn't exactly heralded, so one wonders what the Blues faithful must think. I have to admit: I've never met a rabid Blues fan. I suspect the MacInnis and Pronger years are also a source of pride. But to never have won a cup, and have had 47 years without even a Finals appearance... and some good years not long ago surrounded by some bad years... and no bona fide superstar for over a decade... must be frustrating.

Vancouver is my hometown team and at the end of the 70's the franchise couldn't give the tickets away. Seriously. My dad came home with free tickets constantly and no one wanted to go to games. The team was a joke. Then the 1982 Stanley Cup Cinderella run came and it changed everything. Lots of excitement with King Brodeur, Europeans and then Linden and later 1994. But then the dark days of the 1970's returned with the Keenan years, Messier fiasco, Dan Cloutier, ugh... Naslund and Bertuzzi were exciting and the Sedins fed us hope until the Stanley Cup Finals against the Bruins. The organization decided to double down on the weak Sedins (when they should have been traded) and instead let go of the franchise's biggest playoff warriors: Luongo, Kesler, Bieksa. The fanbase knew the management was operating on automatic pilot and that dark days were ahead and have been for years now.

So,...

I think the ride has been the bumpiest as a Canucks fan and the saddest as a Blues fan. I think the Sabres have been, and are set to become, the most successful of the trio, and most likely to finally win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
When I was young, at the end of the 1970's...

Buffalo was much respected, had a Stanley Cup Final run in 1975 and several years of competitive playoff hockey with the vaulted French Connection. In the 1980's they were okay and in the 1990's Hasek stardom led to high expectations and inspirational play. After Hasek left, that's when the team lost its competitiveness. So the franchise has only been a disappointment for the last 15 years. And yet they have two superstar hyped potentials and optimism nowadays.

St. Louis had three Stanley Cup Finals runs in its past but was basically an also-ran. It set the NHL record with 25 consecutive playoff appearances, and not a single Stanley Cup Final appearance to show for it. They had a HHOF career with Bernie Federko, though leaguewide the induction isn't exactly heralded, so one wonders what the Blues faithful must think. I have to admit: I've never met a rabid Blues fan. I suspect the MacInnis and Pronger years are also a source of pride. But to never have won a cup, and have had 47 years without even a Finals appearance... and some good years not long ago surrounded by some bad years... and no bona fide superstar for over a decade... must be frustrating.

Vancouver is my hometown team and at the end of the 70's the franchise couldn't give the tickets away. Seriously. My dad came home with free tickets constantly and no one wanted to go to games. The team was a joke. Then the 1982 Stanley Cup Cinderella run came and it changed everything. Lots of excitement with King Brodeur, Europeans and then Linden and later 1994. But then the dark days of the 1970's returned with the Keenan years, Messier fiasco, Dan Cloutier, ugh... Naslund and Bertuzzi were exciting and the Sedins fed us hope until the Stanley Cup Finals against the Bruins. The organization decided to double down on the weak Sedins (when they should have been traded) and instead let go of the franchise's biggest playoff warriors: Luongo, Kesler, Bieksa. The fanbase knew the management was operating on automatic pilot and that dark days were ahead and have been for years now.

So,...

I think the ride has been the bumpiest as a Canucks fan and the saddest as a Blues fan. I think the Sabres have been, and are set to become, the most successful of the trio, and most likely to finally win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime.

English language takes a hit from the French Connection.:huh::laugh::skeptic:

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I would say Toronto. The Leafs haven't made a Cup final and have only three conference final appearances to their credit since the 1967 expansion. Ballard had a lot to do with Toronto's fall in the 70's and dreadful 80's, but Toronto also missed the playoffs in 10 out of 11 seasons after the 2005 lockout. The lone playoff appearance in 2013 was marred by blowing a 3 goal, third period lead in Game 7 against Boston. Maybe the Leafs fortunes change this year.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
St. Louis often gets left off the radar in terms of historically inept franchises because they're usually quite a solid regular season team, with plenty of good and great years. And while they have plenty of playoff failures they never seem to be remembered as these high profile stunning chokes (like Washington has had)

TheSilverSkeeter

Sponsor
Oct 27, 2011
STL
If we define failure as a measure of squandered opportunities, this has to be the St. Louis Blues qualifying for 41 postseasons and ending each with a loss.

To add some perspective, the Washington Capitals, who until 2018 were often cited as the symbol of playoff ineptitude, finally won it all on their 28th visit to the postseason. If the Blues had won in their Presidents' Trophy year of '99-'00, that would have been two trips more than the Capitals required. Instead, of course, they collapsed in the first round and have fallen short in each of the 11 attempts that have followed.

Since expansion, the Buffalo Sabres and Toronto Maple Leafs have each amassed a level of playoff futility (0-for-29) that the Blues realized by the end of the '99 playoffs. Vancouver at 0-for-27 is sitting in line with where the Blues were at the conclusion of the '97 playoffs.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Both Drury and Briere had career-high seasons just after the lockout. Two years later both centers left Buffalo and hopes were deflated. The feeling was "If only the centers had stayed another year or two..." The Sabres proceeded to immediately miss the playoffs and struggle until today.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yes, they left. But before they left, they were a wagon in the two no-touch seasons...the 2006 and 2007 Sabres are quite possibly the best teams they've ever had...I think they walk to a Cup if only 2 of their top-4 are injured instead of 10 or whatever it was...

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Based on the size of the market it would have to be Toronto. Like others pointed out, at least these other franchises have made the Finals since 1967 (although the Blues' finals should have an asterisk next to them).

If we get to cherry pick any one season, the answer would be Vancouver in 2011. Easily the best team any of these franchises had since 1967 that did not win the Stanley Cup.

In another 10 years, the Montreal Canadiens will likely be leading this topic.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Haters don't want us to win anything. Even worse franchise of all time.

Based soley on the fan base I pick Toronto! :naughty:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Thing with St. Louis is how many times have they lost series they should've won? 2015, 2000, 1991, beyond that I don't know. I don't really consider them chokers outside of those ones because they just kept running into the 90s/2000s Red Wings and the 2010s Blackhawks. Other than 2000 when they won the president's trophy, were they ever considered cup favorites?

Buffalo had a window in 06 and 07 where they were cup favorites and lost in the conference finals each time. They only made it out of the 2nd round once with Hasek - though they kept running into Philly and Pittsburgh.

Vancouver probably has the most regular season success and postseason failure. That said, up until the 90s they only really had one playoff run of note and little regular season accomplishments. It might be recency bias to focus on what they've done since 2008 or so. But they also have the honor of losing in spectacular fashion all the time - which makes the failure look worse than it would if they just fizzled out normally.

The Leafs have been to the conference finals a few times in the past 25 years, but only one regular season division title since 1963. Over the long run, that's pretty weak. Add in the fact that they are the biggest market with the most expectations and pressure, the most money to spend on free agents (before the cap), etc. To not win their division at all except in 2000 with those conditions is stunning.

I guess it's a toss-up. I'd probably eliminate St. Louis and maybe Vancouver from the running. I think Buffalo has been more futile overall, but Toronto more futile vis-a-vis expectations and resources.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Of those 4 easily the leafs.

Average in the 70's. Crap in the 80s until 93, crap for the middle of the 90's. Pretty good under Quinn, Crap post lockout.

That being said the 80's and early 90's leafs were extremely fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad