Which Forward should the Caps trade?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
They should trade Laich, but went with Mojo b/c I think he has the value to get a quality Dman. Doubt anyone wants Laich or Brouwer anyway.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Laich: just to get out from under that contract.
Brouwer: because he can probably return good value.
Erat: if he asks for it/he's relegated to the 4th line for some reason, but he's probably our 2nd best winger.
Johansson: iff he returns a legitimate top pairing defenseman.
Ward: not at all.
Chimera: not at all.
Fehr: he won't return anything.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
SHOULD trade? Who I WOULD trade given the right return? I'd consider every single forward on that list moveable without much 2nd thought. Can't just pick on the underperforming guys. I'd have a long conversation with Chimera and agent and if he wasn't interested in a reasonable extension and thinks he's going to cash in like Hendricks, I would consider moving him on the uptick....

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
In the past, McPhee has pointed to Laich's utility as a reason for his value - I believe even saying they can plug him in at D if they need to. I think they should try doing exactly that. He's not cutting it as a forward. Let's see if he can crack the top 4 on defense.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Like, this should be Laich. The problem is the log jams at RW and not LW, or even Center. So because of the OCD on handedness, it'll have to be Brouwer.

Halpysback*

You won't get nearly as much for Laich as for Brouwer and he seems to have a bit more to offer at ES and on the PK. Plus he's a left hand shot and our coach is a handedness nazi. Plus, "utility". Whoo!

Laich should be moved in general though, costs too much just doesn't fit the makeup of the team. Wish we found a way to offload him and bring Bolland in during the offseason instead.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
You won't get nearly as much for Laich as for Brouwer and he seems to have a bit more to offer at ES and on the PK. Plus he's a left hand shot and our coach is a handedness nazi. Plus, "utility". Whoo!

Laich should be moved in general though, costs too much just doesn't fit the makeup of the team. Wish we found a way to offload him and bring Bolland in during the offseason instead.

Guess good thing we didn't.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Easily Brooks Laich. He is awful.

Look....he's returning from an injury and is clearly rusty but he is by no means an "awful" player. He's a good player who needs to find his groove and is a good locker room guy (the anti-Richie Incognito) from all accounts.

Currently we are 2nd in the league in PK.

Last year our PK was bottom 3rd.

Guess who our leading SHTOI forward is????? I'll give you ONE guess

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142WSHSASALL&sort=avgShortHandedTOIPerGame&viewName=timeOnIce

And you will see who our 2nd leading SHTOI forward is....the two main whipping boys here on the forward ranks.

Laich: just to get out from under that contract.
Brouwer: because he can probably return good value.
Erat: if he asks for it/he's relegated to the 4th line for some reason, but he's probably our 2nd best winger.
Johansson: iff he returns a legitimate top pairing defenseman.
Ward: not at all.
Chimera: not at all.
Fehr: he won't return anything.

MJ I like as a player but he is the most logical candidate to me.

He has more value (due to age, cap hit, and ability) first off. Also with Kuznetsov waiting on the LW we will need to make room for him anyhow.

The other guys we need more, are bigger, more experienced and for most make far more thus lowering their value.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Look....he's returning from an injury and is clearly rusty but he is by no means an "awful" player. He's a good player who needs to find his groove and is a good locker room guy (the anti-Richie Incognito) from all accounts.

Currently we are 2nd in the league in PK.

Last year our PK was bottom 3rd.

Guess who our leading SHTOI forward is????? I'll give you ONE guess

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142WSHSASALL&sort=avgShortHandedTOIPerGame&viewName=timeOnIce

And you will see who our 2nd leading SHTOI forward is....the two main whipping boys here on the forward ranks.

Yeah, that's the saving grace for Laich and Brouwer. As incompetent as they've been at even strength, they're maybe the best PKing duo in the league right now.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
^this. Useful/nice guys and all but not at the money they get...

Brouwer isn't really overpaid by that much. He's physical, big part of the PK and still scores some goals, although not at last years pace.

Laich on the other hand... while he is good PK guy, he doesn't bring much even strength, is absolutely useless on the PP (and still gets time there over better options), and has few points and -8 rating so far. :shakehead

Johansson value wise, Brouwer value and cap wise and Laich just to get rid of his cap.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Brouwer isn't really overpaid by that much. He's physical, big part of the PK and still scores some goals, although not at last years pace.

Laich on the other hand... while he is good PK guy, he doesn't bring much even strength, is absolutely useless on the PP (and still gets time there over better options), and has few points and -8 rating so far. :shakehead

Johansson value wise, Brouwer value and cap wise and Laich just to get rid of his cap.

Laich is coming off a pretty major injury and we are basing this off a sample size of 14 games. Don't you think it would be wise to see how he rounds into form before jettisoning him?

I agree on Brouwer. Guys like Hartnell and Clarkson are general comprables who both make more $$$. Obviously Hartnell has had more sustained success but at this point in their careers I'd take Brouwer for less $$$

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The golden opportunity to get very solid value on Brouwer may have passed. His slow production to start would certainly make some GMs second guess about paying a premium price for him now, especially given that Ward has scored the same amount on the powerplay in less than half the ice time. Killing penalties is about the only thing he brings to the table right now.

On the other hand, Ryane Clowe had a pretty darn nice return for a rental in the midst of an awful season. So hopefully a 2nd + 3rd would be the very minimum return for Brouwer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad