Which Forward should the Caps trade?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
For the defensive help that they need?

With Ovechkin out, we see a full compliment of players, and good line options/combos. And Beagle isn't even playing.

So Ovechkin comes back, someone sits. Let's assume Volpatti, Latta, and Wilson are the 4th line. We can't trade or sit centers, so Backstrom and Grabovski aren't leaving or sitting.

That leaves 7 of tonites top 9 as someone to sit when #8 comes back. And none of those players should be sitting.

We need to help the defense, we have too many forwards.

Take into consideration the salary cap, and how that plays in. A lesser forward would need salary going with him to get the right d-man back.

Brouwer alone
Laich alone
Erat alone
Ward alone (maybe)
Fehr + player
MaJo + player
Chimera + player

I say Brouwer. (Adding why)

Brouwer will bring the most in return, I think. His salary isn't the biggest, and frankly he's better than anyone on here, saved arguments for Erat, and maybe MaJo and Laich. In prime age too.

He should get the most in return. Ovechkin takes his place w MaJo and Laich. Better top 9 than last 2 nights, and a much better defense when we get a top 4 dman back.

Last edited:

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Copied/pasted from the GDT:

I would like:

10-19-16 -- Keep this line in tact
21-90-8 -- Keep Mojo and Ovi together. Laich sucks, but thanks to Oates' dexterity obsession, there's no other choice. (Give Ovi the occasional shift with the first line instead of 10 or 16 to insure he gets his deserved ice time)
25-84-42 -- Gotta keep this line together.
24-46-43 -- Really like this line too.

27-74 -- Keep 'em together.
34-52 -- Urbom has played well. Adds size next to Green.
88/81-61 -- Schmidt can skate to make up for Oleksy's lack thereof. Oleksy is strong to make up for Schmidt being soft. Can replace Schmidt with Orlov.

Brouwer just needs to go. He does more harm than good in this lineup IMO, at least until Oates bites the bullet and will let players play RW/LW. Fehr is better than him, BY FAR, at even strength, as-is Joel Ward. Fehr should not go back to the 4th line, and Latta needs to stay here, not get scratched/sent down.

Trading Brouwer for a solid LD with some toughness to complement Green would be ideal. Brouwer's trade value is probably at an all-time high thanks to last year's success on the PP, too. Trade him while we can.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
I'd say Brouwer or Liach and I don't really want to see either go but one of the two won't fit with what the "right" way to set the line up would be.

Really what will happen is McPhee won't move a damn thing and te lines will be back to what they were prior to Ovechkin's injury. We will be back to sucking 5 on 5. Just like clockwork.

McPhee's major problem is complacency or lack of action and Oates major problem is he is unwilling to make adjustments (stubbornness).

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
For defensive help... Brouwer. From my personal eye test, he's one of the teams worst forwards at even strength. He probably also has a decent amount of value, and a RW is obviously the odd-man out.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Laich for me, with Brouwer close second for the least effect/price. Also if Oates doesn't dump that handedness crap, we'll play Kuznetsov as a LW I guess (considering we extend Grabo).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wilson should be in the poll.

Sike

Although he could conceivably return as much or more than the others. I bet Holmgren would pay an arm and a leg, once they get out of the hospital.

It's simple though. We have too many RWs. None pinch hit at center. If you want a sizable return, it has to be Brouwer or Ward. Fehr won't get much.

We have depth at wing, but no injuries to test it. But its always the 4th liners that have to sit. I like a 4th line built to be one. You can see why now with the Patt Latt Wilson line. I hate when coaches sprinkle in top 6 guys that have no where else to go. Depth can hurt a team when it wrecks lines. Oates likes balance in handedness, but then has no problem sticking a scorer like Erat on 4 just to avoid the more awkward scratch. GM of course has a hand in forcing Oates's hand, including trading a depth center that was easy to scratch, while shoe horning our RW depth at center. Ignoring 2LWs that likely consider themselves centers.

Rest assured if we move a RW, another RW will get injured. Beagle can move to RW, but Hershey doesnt have much to help, though.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
and with Kuyza coming over we have another spot.

I would prolly dump Brooks and his huge cap hit before he hurts his groin again

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Brouwer. He's redundant, unremarkable, expensive, and likely at peak value right now. I'd also trade Laich in a heartbeat if we weren't so thin at LW.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Brouwer. He's redundant, unremarkable, expensive, and likely at peak value right now. I'd also trade Laich in a heartbeat if we weren't so thin at LW.

Well, considering how he's started this year, we've probably already passed his peak value. What a shame, but surely no one could've predicted his drop off :sarcasm:

Both Brouwer and Laich are a huge drag on possession. It's pretty hilarious that they're being kept together for their supposed "chemistry," when they have a combined 6 goals but no assists. Heh, maybe Oates knows they suck, and he's keeping them together so they only drag one line down. I'd trade both of them if possible, and hopefully we'd get back a 2/3C as part of the return (could've sworn we used to have one of those...).

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lets get real...

we have been wanting GMGM to unload dead weight players and soon to be UFAs for years now and he never does.

do we really think he would start now?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Lets get real...

we have been wanting GMGM to unload dead weight players and soon to be UFAs for years now and he never does.

do we really think he would start now?

This is really what is so upsetting. I honestly think this team is a solid hockey trade away from being top 8 in the league, with the talent that they have.

Send out $$$ from the forwards, bring it back for the defense. It's not THAT hard.

George is a Fricking turd.

That said?

Fire George!!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Wilson should be in the poll.

Sike

Although he could conceivably return as much or more than the others. I bet Holmgren would pay an arm and a leg, once they get out of the hospital.

It's simple though. We have too many RWs. None pinch hit at center. If you want a sizable return, it has to be Brouwer or Ward. Fehr won't get much.

We have depth at wing, but no injuries to test it. But its always the 4th liners that have to sit. I like a 4th line built to be one. You can see why now with the Patt Latt Wilson line. I hate when coaches sprinkle in top 6 guys that have no where else to go. Depth can hurt a team when it wrecks lines. Oates likes balance in handedness, but then has no problem sticking a scorer like Erat on 4 just to avoid the more awkward scratch. GM of course has a hand in forcing Oates's hand, including trading a depth center that was easy to scratch, while shoe horning our RW depth at center. Ignoring 2LWs that likely consider themselves centers.

Rest assured if we move a RW, another RW will get injured. Beagle can move to RW, but Hershey doesnt have much to help, though.

Yeah. Laich's "ability" (I use that term loosely) to play C makes him a little more well rounded for this team.

However, if we could get more back for Laich, than for Brouwer, then I'd do that too. 4.5m vs 3.7m also matters.

"Psyche"?!?!? Lol. Or Sike. Whichever floats yer boat

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Not even close. It would have to be Brooks Laich. I did not like his contract from day one.

Its funny how so many of you are hating on Mike Green. And now slowly coming around on Brooks Laich.

Maybe I am not the crazy one?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
No question, Laich -- because of the anchor risk factor. 4.5m/per and a wonky groin.

Wouldn't exactly shed tears for Brouwer, either..

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
trading brouwer makes more sense if you ignore the cap, but in reality in will be a lot easier to swallow brouwers contract than laich's. I'm still hoping some gm out there still has high hopes for laich and would want to experiment with him.

laich + orlov/carrick/schmidt/urbom + futures/draft picks (maybe)
for
some LD

erat-backstrom-ovechkin (fehr isnt the reason backstrom started performing, and its not OV's fault)
chimera-grabovski-ward
johansson-fehr-brouwer (kuznetsov-johansson-brouwer)
volpatti-latta-wilson (volpatti-latta-fehr)

alzner-carlson
top 4 LD-green
orlov/schmidt/urbom-olesky

doesnt look as good as trading brouwer with the left/righty problem and fehr at center, at least until kuznetsov comes over that is and thats still 4.5 off the books. and in my mind brouwer>laich so its worth it.

Last edited:

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Not even close. It would have to be Brooks Laich. I did not like his contract from day one.

Its funny how so many of you are hating on Mike Green. And now slowly coming around on Brooks Laich.

Maybe I am not the crazy one?

I like your cause... ;)

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
A 100% Brooks Laich. Get rid of his awful cap hit, to make room for a top 4 defender or to make room for a FA pick up.

I like laich, but he has not been playing up to par so far this year.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Brooks Laich's cap hit is preposterous. And he's not that good of a hockey player. I would hope he or Brouwer is traded before the deadline for a top 4 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad