Which forward is most likely play for Vegas opening night?

masasa

Oct 10, 2016
Vegas has 5 potential NHL ready wingers ready to play, but most likely just 1 free spot(assuming Pulkkinen plays). Who do you think will make it in the opening night lineup?

Keegan Kolesar RW (20)
Alex Tuch RW (21)
William Carrier LW (22)
Brendan Leipsic LW/C (23)
Tomas Nosek LW (25)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tuch.

In part because he was the price Minnesota had to pay to get Vegas to take Haula instead of Dumba, Staal or Scandella. So, GM McPhee may want coach Gallant to give him a good chance to make the line-up.

Plus he's 6'4 and quick to block shots. Gallant will love him in a Bottom-6 role.

DSC_1177_large.jpg

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Depends on where the spot is open but I think Nosek is probably first at bat. Depends on camp really.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
It's as simple as this:

- Tuch and Kolesar are exempt from waivers.
- Nosek, Carrier and Leipsic are all trending up and coming off good seasons, and are eligible for waivers for the first time this coming season.

I have a hard time seeing McPhee willing to risk losing any of those three to waivers after specifically selecting them in the expansion draft, so I imagine all three will be on the opening day roster - and Tuch/Kolesar will start the year in Chicago.

For the sake of this poll, I'll say Carrier is the one who will most likely play for Vegas, since he would fill a designated role on the 4th line. I'm hoping Leipsic could play on opening night, but there's always a chance he could be a scratch. Nosek seems like a scratch on Day 1 as well to me.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Vegas has 5 potential NHL ready wingers ready to play, but most likely just 1 free spot (assuming Pulkkinen plays). Who do you think will make it in the opening night lineup?

Keegan Kolesar RW (20)
Alex Tuch RW (21)
William Carrier LW (22)
Brendan Leipsic LW/C (23)
Tomas Nosek LW (25)

PS. I think Pulkkinen gets waived. He's trending down, and hasn't proven he can be an NHL regular.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tuch and Kolesar are exempt from waivers.
- Nosek, Carrier and Leipsic are all trending up and coming off good seasons, and are eligible for waivers for the first time this coming season.

I have a hard time seeing McPhee willing to risk losing any of those three to waivers after specifically selecting them in the expansion draft, so I imagine all three will be on the opening day roster - and Tuch/Kolesar will start the year in Chicago.
But they don't have to go through waivers if they START in the minors, eh?

The fact that a player is exempt from waivers is all the more reason to start them in the NHL and send them down later!!!!!!

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Gotta trim the roster to 23 by opening night. The guys who don't need waivers pass right through, while the ones who do need waivers get exposed. I see no reason to send someone through waivers just so Alex Tuch can play on a team that's not going to do much in the first season. And it looks like Tuch probably knows that too:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Carrier is the most likely, based on his style of play and coach Gallant probably knows him best out of the lot. But that's not saying much since other guys can have a hell of a preseason and it's always good to have an extra center in the lineup playing wing. Plus who knows, Engelland might start the year on wing.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Leipsic is a very underrated player. I know a lot of Leaf fans were dissapointed he was picked over Rychel.

I think he's the spark plug utility type player that fits anywhere outside the top line. I think he gets a spot.

Then I would say Nosek due to age and pro experience.

I could see him as a utility player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad