Which fighters deserve to be inducted into the hall of fame?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
You can find the list of inductees here. UFC Hall of Fame - Wikipedia Which fighters that haven’t already been inducted deserve to be inducted in the near future.

Off the top of my head I would say Victor Belfort, Shogun Rua, Dan Henderson, Andre Arlovski, Anderson Silva, Machida, GSP, Frank Mir, Mark Hunt, JDS, Cain, Gustafsson, Rampage...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The bar is too low

Maurice Smith (4 - 3 in the UFC, 14 - 14 MMA record) was inducted

Pat Militech - whose most notable MMA win was against Shonie Carter - was inducted

And let's be honest, Matt Serra (7 - 7 in the UFC) was inducted because he's buddies with Dana White

I don't think Arlovski, Mark Hunt, Gustafsson, or JDS should be inducted

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The bar is too low

Maurice Smith (4 - 3 in the UFC, 14 - 14 MMA record) was inducted

Pat Militech - whose most notable MMA win was against Shonie Carter - was inducted

And let's be honest, Matt Serra (7 - 7 in the UFC) was inducted because he's buddies with Dana White

I don't think Arlovski, Mark Hunt, Gustafsson, or JDS should in inducted

Lol ya I had to do a double take when I saw Maurice Smith. Don’t know how he managed to get in. Why not Arlovski? Most wins in HW history and was a dominant champion that helped grow the sport.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Lol ya I had to do a double take when I saw Maurice Smith. Don’t know how he managed to get in. Why not Arlovski? Most wins in HW history and was a dominant champion that helped grow the sport.

Dominant champion?

His only 2 defenses were against Justin Eilers and Pat Buentello, he then lost the belt to Tim Sylvia

He might have the most wins in HW history, but he's also got the most losses in HW history

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Dominant champion?

His only 2 defenses were against Justin Ellers and Pat Buentello, he then lost the belt to Tim Sylvia

He might have the most wins in HW history, but he's also got the most losses in HW history

2 defences is good for HW. Stipe is the only HW champ to defend 3 times.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
2 defences is good for HW. Stipe is the only HW champ to defend 3 times.

That depends entirely on who those defenses are against

Eilers was 1 - 3 in the UFC

Buentello was 3 - 3 in the UFC, with one of those wins coming against Eilers

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The pioneer wing in all sports can get a bit tricky so I'll kind of give them a pass on those. Serra & Militech both are more than just their records - they are personalities outside of the sport & long-time coaches. When picking pioneers you need to really consider if you could tell the history of the sport without including these guys as key figures and I do think both are pretty key. Maurice Smith is a bit more questionable to me but maybe someone else can make a better case for him.

As for the guys who are in the "modern" section, I'm fine with all of the choices. All of them had a major impact on the sport in a different way. The only guy who is borderline for me is Rashad Evans but I think he's the perfect baseline guy for a HOF. I don't want anyone lower on an all-time list than Rashad in there, but I'm fine with him in there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You can find the list of inductees here. UFC Hall of Fame - Wikipedia Which fighters that haven’t already been inducted deserve to be inducted in the near future.

Off the top of my head I would say Victor Belfort, Shogun Rua, Dan Henderson, Andre Arlovski, Anderson Silva, Machida, GSP, Frank Mir, Mark Hunt, JDS, Cain, Gustafsson, Rampage...

I agree with most of these. I think there are a number more I would add as well like Cruz, Aldo, Cormier, and a bunch more.

The guys you've included I'm not sure on are Hunt, Cain, and Gus.

Cain just isn't there as of now to me. He needs another good run to lock it in.

I could see Hunt as a "pioneer", but he's not a regular HOF guy to me.

Gus - I just don't see it.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I agree with most of these. I think there are a number more I would add as well like Cruz, Aldo, Cormier, and a bunch more.

The guys you've included I'm not sure on are Hunt, Cain, and Gus.

Cain just isn't there as of now to me. He needs another good run to lock it in.

I could see Hunt as a "pioneer", but he's not a regular HOF guy to me.

Gus - I just don't see it.

I Included Hunt because he’s the king of the walk off KO and his look, attitude, incredible chin and exciting style have made him one of the sports iconic characters.

I included Gus because he’s the greatest Swedish martial artist of all time. His first fight with Jones is often sited as the greatest title fight of all time and he’s consistently been ranked near the top of the division for a long time.

I also think Demian Maia, Cowboy and both Diaz brothers should be inducted.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I Included Hunt because he’s the king of the walk off KO and his look, attitude, incredible chin and exciting style have made him one of the sports iconic characters.

I included Gus because he’s the greatest Swedish martial artist of all time. His first fight with Jones is often sited as the greatest title fight of all time and he’s consistently been ranked near the top of the division for a long time.

Gus had a great fight against Jones no doubt but he doesn't get bonus points because he's Swedish.

Not that I think they should be in the HOF but I'd say Robbie Lawler and Rory McDonald have better claims than the Diaz brothers, Maia, or Cowboy.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Hunt has less than 100k followers on Twitter

For comparison sake, Cerrone and Overeem each have half a million, Frankie Edgar has 450k, Nick Diaz has 625k

Roy Nelson at 363k followers has nearly 4 times as many as Hunt

I just don't think Hunt is as popular as you're making him out to be

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hunt isn't a HOFer. He's a good, not great fighter that has a losing record in the UFC and for his career. He does not belong. Cain and JDS don't either. The real issue is that the UFC doesn't have many real viable HW fighters to put forth as HOFers...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Belfort is and will always be a PED abuser. He looked like a different person and fighter on TRT vs off of TRT. That to me means his abilities were really enhanced from stuff in a bottle and he isn't a HOFer.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

While all of those things about Hunt & Gus are true, those aren't HOF qualities. Don't see it with Maia either. All of them don't meet the "Were they better than Rashad?" test to me.

I think Cowboy is a good call and guaranteed HOFer. He is one of the defining guys of the WEC & has multiple records in the UFC. Fan favorite who will get in as soon as they can put him in.

Nick Diaz isn't a HOF guy. Nate probably isn't either, but he's closer.

The UFC also has their "HOF Fights" division or whatever they call it which is where a bunch of these guys will fall into.

Gus had a great fight against Jones no doubt but he doesn't get bonus points because he's Swedish.

Not that I think they should be in the HOF but I'd say Robbie Lawler and Rory McDonald have better claims than the Diaz brothers, Maia, or Cowboy.

Lawler and Rory are a good example of the above - their fight against each other will be honored but I'm not sure if they will themselves.

Hunt has less than 100k followers on Twitter

For comparison sake, Cerrone and Overeem each have half a million, Frankie Edgar has 450k, Nick Diaz has 625k

Roy Nelson at 363k followers has nearly 4 times as many as Hunt

I just don't think Hunt is as popular as you're making him out to be

Hunt is definitely more popular with the older crowd, not sure how that translates to Twitter followers. But I agree he's not a HOF guy.

Hunt isn't a HOFer. He's a good, not great fighter that has a losing record in the UFC and for his career. He does not belong. Cain and JDS don't either. The real issue is that the UFC doesn't have many real viable HW fighters to put forth as HOFers...

Agreed with all of this, but I do think JDS will get there with a few more fights.

Belfort is and will always be a PED abuser. He looked like a different person and fighter on TRT vs off of TRT. That to me means his abilities were really enhanced from stuff in a bottle and he isn't a HOFer.

I think anything goes in the "Pioneer" division - you're lying to yourself if you don't think most of those guys were on something.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed with all of this, but I do think JDS will get there with a few more fights.

I think anything goes in the "Pioneer" division - you're lying to yourself if you don't think most of those guys were on something.

Oh I'm sure they were and still are. I just think about the physical differences of Belfort's body at times and can't help but laugh how blatantly obvious his abuse of PEDs was. And if they did a pioneer wing of the hall, I'd be fine if he were included. As an outright HOF guy based on his fighting career only, I don't see it. But as a forefather and precursor to what the sport has become, I can. If that makes sense.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Robbie Lawler might be on the fringe for getting inducted but this latest performance against Colby doesn’t help his case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad