Which Events and Sports Should be Included in the Winter Olympics?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Ice fishing. They should have to all run from the line with their augers and the combination of time it takes and the size of the fish they catch should determine the score.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ice fishing. They should have to all run from the line with their augers and the combination of time it takes and the size of the fish they catch should determine the score.
Bonus points for the one that drinks the most beer in the shack while they wait?

Reactions: Deen

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Bandy should be in if it was not so that so few countries actually have a league. It will be an affair between Sweden, Russia and Finland. Perhaps Canada could build a core of teams made up of hockey players who fancy a career shift (i.e. failed at hockey but still want to do sport on ice and not in a beer leauge) .

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Definitely ski mountaineering. As someone who does a lot of backcountry skiing in the winter and who knows a couple of former World Cup competitors, I can vouch for how demanding the sport is. It's basically XC skiing uphill, the going down as fast as possible. It requires amazing fitness and skiing ability.

I like the idea of dog sled racing. If horses can be in the summer Olympics, why not have dogs in the winter Olympics?

I also like the idea of ice climbing. And ski big air should be added because far more people compete in that than aerials, which is in the Olympics but is nowhere near as exciting.

The rest of the suggestions (other than adding women's events where there aren't already) seem like exercises in adding medal opportunities but not adding new sports.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Bandy should be in if it was not so that so few countries actually have a league. It will be an affair between Sweden, Russia and Finland. Perhaps Canada could build a core of teams made up of hockey players who fancy a career shift (i.e. failed at hockey but still want to do sport on ice and not in a beer leauge) .

I am surprised that that was not in the Sochi Olympics considering that Russia is really into it.

Reactions: Name Nameless

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The greatest mystery of all is why cricket is not in the summer games

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A 20 overs match should be manageable. They don’t even need to build a full stadium for it. Some bleachers around the field would suffice.

It'd take cricket on every single day of the Olympics for 12 hours of each day. Not sure the saturation would be welcome and not sure it'd draw enough additional interest/revenue for the IOC to consider taking that logistical nightmare on.

There are other issues as well.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
It'd take cricket on every single day of the Olympics for 12 hours of each day. Not sure the saturation would be welcome and not sure it'd draw enough additional interest/revenue for the IOC to consider taking that logistical nightmare on.

There are other issues as well.

A 20 over match would take about 3 hours and could be formatted like hockey to accommodate within the Olympic schedule. This would help draw big interest from countries like India and Pakistan that really don’t have a strong Olympic following due to the lack of players competing. Building a cricket field would be much cheaper than building a hockey rink. They could use it to get bigger TV deals out of those countries.

Do you get know rules? Very hard to find spectators outside of a few countries. Even casuals.

I bet most people don’t know the rules to hockey but still tune in. That applies to most sports at the Olympics.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A 20 over match would take about 3 hours and could be formatted like hockey to accommodate within the Olympic schedule. This would help draw big interest from countries like India and Pakistan that really don’t have a strong Olympic following due to the lack of players competing. Building a cricket field would be much cheaper than building a hockey rink. They could use it to get bigger TV deals out of those countries.

I bet most people don’t know the rules to hockey but still tune in. That applies to most sports at the Olympics.

This article explains it better than I can:

Five Reasons Why Cricket Shouldn't Be an Olympic Sport

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

I am going to have to disagree with that article. If cricket was going to be in the Olympics, you will have only 8 team tournament to fit both men’s and women’s matches in. If you go with 8 teams, there shouldn’t be too many issues, plus this will automatically separate itself from their 20Twenty tournament. West Indies will be out of luck and only Great Britain will have to get their issues resolved.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
We should have a combat winter sport. Too bad there is nothing competitive out there. Hockey style fighting would not fly. Maybe some sort of snowball fighting. :D

Summer games have: Wrestling, Boxing, Judo, Karate, Taekwondo heck even Fencing.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
We should have a combat winter sport. Too bad there is nothing competitive out there. Hockey style fighting would not fly. Maybe some sort of snowball fighting. :D

Summer games have: Wrestling, Boxing, Judo, Karate, Taekwondo heck even Fencing.

Combine Ski-orienteering and Bihatlon and the athletes could snipe at each other (not serious ofc, but ok: with paintball guns then). It would be like a capture the flag game with a range of flags.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Red Bull Crashed Ice (Downhill Ice Cross) would be perfect for the Winter Olympics. Its fast, dangerous, highly competitive, and draws a good sized crowd when events are held. The only concern I would have is if the IOC would recognize a governing body because of Red Bull's heavy involvement with the sport.

A form of 3 on 3 ice hockey would be welcomed as well.

Given that they added 3 on 3 basketball to the Summer Olympics, it would be cool to add 3 on 3 hockey to the Winter.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I am going to have to disagree with that article. If cricket was going to be in the Olympics, you will have only 8 team tournament to fit both men’s and women’s matches in. If you go with 8 teams, there shouldn’t be too many issues, plus this will automatically separate itself from their 20Twenty tournament. West Indies will be out of luck and only Great Britain will have to get their issues resolved.

That's the other issue.

Is women's cricket actually a thing? They barely play any games as is. The IOC is going to balk at adding a sport that is only played on the men's side.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
If you want more medals, it is possible to expand some sports like swimming has expanded in the summer-games. When skiing got a new style- skating with skis- they realized it would be two styles, classical, and skating. But they have basically divided the events, so you don't have one 10 km skating, and one 10 km classical. You get just one of them. It could easily be twice as many events if they wanted it. Relays? One with four classical legs, one with four skating-legs. And so on.

Of new sport, bandy would be the obvious choice, as has been mentioned here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad