Line Combos: Which do you prefer: Well-rounded or distinct identity?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Been thinking about this during the whole Iginla-should-we-sign debate and it brings up a debate that I don't believe I've seen formally introduced in some time. I'll try to keep it short and simple.

I argued last season that Eriksson should be on the top unit with Krejci and Lucic and that Iginla should be played on Bergy's right. To me, it was a scenario where each of the top two lines had players that could clear some space, could be creative with the puck, could shoot, were smart and had some skill. Eriksson is a guy who knows where he needs to be to gain puck possession and maximize scoring opportunities and with the space that Lucic creates, it would be a perfect situation for the top unit. Bergeron's line (at least come playoff time) has looked much better with someone who could fight through some traffic on the right side.

BUT, it seems to be the strategy of a VERY good group of coaches to have the top line be the heavy, leaving the second line a little smaller and shiftier.

Both strategies have their merits, I think. Defenses have to deal with different kinds of attacks from different lines under the current look... But with a well-rounded couple of lines individually, they would be more difficult to contain.

As Bruins fans, which way do you lean?

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
The style of play the coaching staff employs needs to have a distinct identity. The players on the ice need to be well-rounded.

12 Loui Erikssons might lose every game 2-1, but they'll still lose every game.
12 Marian Gaboriks might lose every game 7-6, but they'll still lose every game.

You need both to win a Cup.

Mr. Make-Believe

The style of play the coaching staff employs needs to have a distinct identity. The players on the ice need to be well-rounded.

12 Loui Erikssons might lose every game 2-1, but they'll still lose every game.
12 Marian Gaboriks might lose every game 7-6, but they'll still lose every game.

You need both to win a Cup.

I'm talking line by line though dude.

YES, this team has a distinct identity. Absolutely. But does the first line need to be one-dimensional?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
In Ice Hockey on NES, I'd always go with 2 fat guys, 1 skinny guy at center and 1 medium guy (gotta have that puck moving defenseman).

Balance is the key. You will never have a team of great all around players at every position, especially in the cap world so you need guys that can make up for the short comings of others. It's easy to go back to a guy like Marc Savard for example. Sure, you can develop his two way game a bit, but a player of his type needs to be paired with a winger that can utilize his talents. It also makes sense to also accompany him with a strong two way forward as well who can back check and has defensive awareness.

Each line needs to have a role as well. You can have a checking line with some scoring punch, but you need them to be able to match up in the shut down role. Any offense you get is a nice bonus.

Mr. Make-Believe

In Ice Hockey on NES, I'd always go with 2 fat guys, 1 skinny guy at center and 1 medium guy (gotta have that puck moving defenseman).

Balance is the key. You will never have a team of great all around players at every position, especially in the cap world so you need guys that can make up for the short comings of others. It's easy to go back to a guy like Marc Savard for example. Sure, you can develop his two way game a bit, but a player of his type needs to be paired with a winger that can utilize his talents. It also makes sense to also accompany him with a strong two way forward as well who can back check and has defensive awareness.

Each line needs to have a role as well. You can have a checking line with some scoring punch, but you need them to be able to match up in the shut down role. Any offense you get is a nice bonus.

Something I forgot to mention in my original post?

My favorite line in the past ten years:

Lucic- Savard - Kessel

The heavy. The sniper. The puck distributor.

I would LOVE if we tried to replicate something like THAT, instead of Lucic-Krejci-Horton.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I love the guy, but one of Clode's weaknesses IMO is his lack of flexibility with the forward lines. I would love if he experimented a bit more with different combinations. Use the regular season as a dress rehearsal and shake things up. Worst thing that happens is you finish 2nd or 3rd in the division instead of 1st and you reassemble your best lines for the playoffs.

Mr. Make-Believe

I love the guy, but one of Clode's weaknesses IMO is his lack of flexibility with the forward lines. I would love if he experimented a bit more with different combinations. Use the regular season as a dress rehearsal and shake things up. Worst thing that happens is you finish 2nd or 3rd in the division instead of 1st and you reassemble your best lines for the playoffs.

OR, you find that different combinations work better in different situations.

OR, you find that Soderberg is WAY better at center before 2/3 of the season has passed.

But there's no attempt at it. And I agree... It bugs me and I think it's an overall detriment to keep everything as concrete as he tends to.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I'm all about identity. I would hate to see the big bad Bruins become the Detroit Red Wings. A reason why we won the cup in 2011, was because we were the baddest mother fers in the league, and why we've been successful these past years. Identity is key, but it is always good to have a little bit of everything.

Look at the Kings, they're the Bruins of the west and they trade for a guy like Gaborik. Bam, he's a complete difference maker in their cup run.

Mr. Make-Believe

I'm all about identity. I would hate to see the big bad Bruins become the Detroit Red Wings. A reason why we won the cup in 2011, was because we were the baddest mother fers in the league, and why we've been successful these past years. Identity is key, but it is always good to have a little bit of everything.

Look at the Kings, they're the Bruins of the west and they trade for a guy like Gaborik. Bam, he's a complete difference maker in their cup run.

Again I want to clarify that I'm NOT talking about TEAM identity. That's already solid.

It's line combinations.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Why change anything? We had the best top 6 in the NHL last season (people sluff off +/-but it's a great representation for how your lines as a whole are performing), and everyone loved our third line when everyone was healthy.

Bergeron can play with anyone and carry a line, but I think him and Marchand should never be separated as they've really developed tremendous chemistry. Smith filled in very well. He was night and day at different times with his finish over the year, but his speed, shiftiness and creativity worked really well for maintaining possession with Bergeron's style of game.

Maybe another type of RW would work with the Krejci/Lucic pair, but why even bother trying it? Krejci distributing to two big-bodied and physical wingers known for their finish has worked extremely well over the last 4 seasons.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Often wondered if some of Claude`s thinking is that by keeping a player with his line for extended periods his hope is they will just figure "it" out if someone is in a slump? Not making excuses, man was he truly stubborn in his first few years.

He still isn`t one to tinker up and down the lineup that`s for sure but he`s made some nice concessions, NEVER, in his first few years did he appear to be as accepting as now in allowing the D to be as assertive in joining the play for example.

I often wonder if the players have half the issues with CJ as some fans here do? By the sounds of it, they seem to respect the fact that their coach lets players work through rough patches.

I dunno, just win the bloody Cup again, could care less who`s playing with whom.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts

Been thinking about this during the whole Iginla-should-we-sign debate and it brings up a debate that I don't believe I've seen formally introduced in some time. I'll try to keep it short and simple.

I argued last season that Eriksson should be on the top unit with Krejci and Lucic and that Iginla should be played on Bergy's right. To me, it was a scenario where each of the top two lines had players that could clear some space, could be creative with the puck, could shoot, were smart and had some skill. Eriksson is a guy who knows where he needs to be to gain puck possession and maximize scoring opportunities and with the space that Lucic creates, it would be a perfect situation for the top unit. Bergeron's line (at least come playoff time) has looked much better with someone who could fight through some traffic on the right side.

BUT, it seems to be the strategy of a VERY good group of coaches to have the top line be the heavy, leaving the second line a little smaller and shiftier.

Both strategies have their merits, I think. Defenses have to deal with different kinds of attacks from different lines under the current look... But with a well-rounded couple of lines individually, they would be more difficult to contain.

As Bruins fans, which way do you lean?

I lean toward combining different types of players on the same line, if possible. When the season started I wanted to see Eriksson on the top line with Krejci and Lucic, and Iginla with Bergeron and Marchand.

I thought that Lucic and Iginla would be too slow against fast teams and defensively would put a ton of pressure on Krejci. I thought that having Eriksson and Bergeron on the same line was incredibly redundant in terms of two way players. Ultimately, that 2nd line turned out to have Smith on it who is more offensive minded and it seemed to work.

Last edited:

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Regarding the overall construction of the roster...Of course it's important to have many different kinds of players.

The most valuable players are the ones that succeed in many different situations...and every player regardless of ability finds himself at times in various positions/ man-power situations....on the boards/ in open ice.

Thinking of the line constuction I don't really like the Lucic Krejci Iginla line going forward. It has a major weakness in its lack of speed.

I think that the line with Lucic on the left side (with or without Krejci) should have a smaller right wing that has good acceleration, lateral mobility and a good shot.

I'd like to see the Bruins try out Koko on RW in the near future...I know that he is largely a center but many Russians play the off-wing...and starting his career on the wing would allow him to get in the lineup faster and avoid having too many defensive responsibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad