Which do you like more? Winter or Summer Olympics?

Winter vs Summer Olympics - Which is your favorite?

• I like the Winter Olympics more

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • I like the Summer Olympics more

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I like both Olympics about the same

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Just wondering what olympics do you guys like to watch more? The winter or summer? Whether you like one more than the other because it has more sports and events that you like to watch or maybe its because you like the larger spectacle of the summer games vs the smaller winter games or something else. Which one do you prefer and why or do you like both about the same? :)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Summer Olympics for me. Just a lot more that I'm interested in.

Bigger spectacle. Feels way more important. And the entire world competes.

Not necessarily (at the event at least). But with IOC giving all these crap locations the Olympics it does feel that way.

Not that many years ago there were 70k watching a regular ski jumping contest in Norway. In places like Germany and Poland you would draw even bigger crowds. There are 50k watching slalom in Austria etc.

Many winter olympics events are better suited to big crowds and many of the sports are considered "national sports" in the countries they are most popular in. If you arrange the events in a proper European city with the right facilities you would get 50k from Poland just for the ski jumping, you will fill the stands with the Dutch for the speed skating, 100k Norwegians and Swedes for the cross-country, Austrians and Swizz everywhere for the Alpine etc.

The Winter Olympics are more "intense" for me. In the summer games there are so many events that don't feel related to each other. So so many niche events that no-one outside the ones competing in them really care for. In the winter games there are far fewer of these kind of events.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I lke both about the same. It's the idea of Olympia that makes me a fan. I do follow winter sports more. But that's because many wintersports are regularly broadcasted.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Both.
for me it's not about the spectacle etc, .. it's just... it's the Olympics.
if they made poker and spelling bees part of the Olympics i'd watch because it's THE OLYMPICS.
I like the Winter Olympics because it's more intimate and you can watch more (no matter how much i try I can't do this during the Summer. poor @Soliloquy of a Dogge had to deal with my whinging about missing all the event riding. AGAIN one day I'll be able to see 3 day eventing)

I like the summer because those are the events (minus curling) that i did as a kid. so it brings me back to when i pretended I was Donovan Bailey or Shannon Miller or Marnie McBean.

the Olympics makes you want to watch ALL the sports all the time (which is why i get pissed when people on the radio poo-pooh on them that no one cares. well it's your job dumbos. MAKE us care. show it on television more talk about them)

I love the nationalism and the "OOOH CANADA IS AWESOME" vibe
I loove it when we dominate.
I'm angry and want it to be 4 years from now so we can get revenge.

I love the stories
i love (yet am emphatic) the heartache and DRAMA
i love catching up with my Olympic Boyfriends (or finding new ones)
I love the crazy uniforms etc
I love watching history unfold.

I love debating with other people why Canada (or the nation of choice) is ___. (ie: WHY CAN'T CANADA SKI DOWN A MOUNTAIN?!. or from Rio "HOW DID CANADA FORGET HOW TO ROW!?"). or the inside jokes: "How hard did he choke from a scale from 1 to Shawn Barber" or #ItsHomansFault.

I will always love hockey and watching stanley cup finals.
but the Olympics are far and above the most amazing thing ever.

(and i'm so Olympic depressed right now because they are gone :( )

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Both.
if they made poker and spelling bees part of the Olympics i'd watch because it's THE OLYMPICS.
I like the Winter Olympics because it's more intimate and you can watch more (no matter how much i try I can't do this during the Summer. poor @Soliloquy of a Dogge had to deal with my whinging about missing all the event riding. AGAIN one day I'll be able to see 3 day eventing)

I like the summer because those are the events (minus curling) that i did as a kid. so it brings me back to when i pretended I was Donovan Bailey or Shannon Miller or Marnie McBean.

the Olympics makes you want to watch ALL the sports all the time (which is why i get pissed when people on the radio poo-pooh on them that no one cares. well it's your job dumbos. MAKE us care. show it on television more talk about them)

I love the stories

I love debating with other people why Canada (or the nation of choice) is ___. (ie: WHY CAN'T CANADA SKI DOWN A MOUNTAIN?!. or from Rio "HOW DID CANADA FORGET HOW TO ROW!?"). or the inside jokes: "How hard did he choke from a scale from 1 to Shawn Barber" or #ItsHomansFault.

I'll never forget Rio for one reason: watching Derek Drouin vs. Shawn Barber was like watching a live-action lecture in personality and sociology.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'll never forget Rio for one reason: watching Derek Drouin vs. Shawn Barber was like watching a live-action lecture in personality and sociology.

I have literally never saw someone melt before like Barber.
Drouin was a machine.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have literally never saw someone melt before like Barber.
Drouin was a machine.

It was hilarious to watch the difference. Barber came off as classic Type B personality, while Drouin couldn't be more alpha male if he tried.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I said both.

The sports I prefer are in the Winter games but it seems like there is a lot more going on in the Summer games so they are better for me to follow.

Oct 18, 2006
Both.

I love the stories

I love this post. I love everything about the Olympics.

The stories, the passion, the triumph and even the heartache. I love the worlds best coming together to compete at one time.

It's just amazing, I can't get enough of it. Winter/Summer, doesn't matter, both incredible and I'm always totally hooked.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I love this post. I love everything about the Olympics.

The stories, the passion, the triumph and even the heartache. I love the worlds best coming together to compete at one time.

It's just amazing, I can't get enough of it. Winter/Summer, doesn't matter, both incredible and I'm always totally hooked.

it's like the worlds bigger soap opera. but with sports. and you only have two weeks to binge watch and you have to wait 4 years for the next edition.

i truly don't get how more people don't like it

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I like both but prefer Winter. I love hockey, figure skating and curling as well as some of the newer sports like ski-cross and snowboard-cross.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Both.

I love the stories

Great post, Daisy.

And you're gonna have to make sure you catch (at the very least) the cross country phase of the eventing in Tokyo 2020. The course is gonna be an absolute monster. As well as all the showjumping (let's go Eric Lamaze!) too.

I need someone to talk Equestrian with :P

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Great post, Daisy.

And you're gonna have to make sure you catch (at the very least) the cross country phase of the eventing in Tokyo 2020. The course is gonna be an absolute monster. As well as all the showjumping (let's go Eric Lamaze!) too.

I need someone to talk Equestrian with :P

I KNOW.
i've gotta figure it out somehow. like how i miss one of my favourite events every Quadrennial is beyond me.

i'm thinking (hoping) that Tokyo will be like Beijing 08. the majority of the events were at night, like 7 through 11, i never had to wake up TOO early, (or over night) to see anything i wanted.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I get absolutely absorbed in both, but I've always preferred Winter. It doesn't have much to do with the number of sports, the organization or such. It's mostly because, having grown up where it never snows, winter conditions have always been "exotic" to me. In the same way that people in wintery locations fantasize about sunny locations, I've always dreamed of snow and icy conditions, so the Winter Games hold a special appeal to me.

I do also appreciate the more intimacy, the feeling that it's more "down to business" (and not so much a big party), the fact that the athletes get more individual attention and the fact that I like nearly all of the sports, but it's really the wintery nature of it that makes me look forward to it more than the Summer edition.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
My preference is 100% dependent on if the NHL participates in the Olympics.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Ditto. I said Winter (provided the NHL goes), but if not then I don't care about either one.
I still like the Summer Olympics, I'd still tune in every once in a while. Literally never watched a second of the Winter Olympics this year. Olympic hockey with NHL participation is more or less the pinnacle of sports for me though.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Literally never watched a second of the Winter Olympics this year. Olympic hockey with NHL participation is more or less the pinnacle of sports for me though.

Agreed.

I didn't watch any of the Olympics this year until the OT of the gold medal game.

And I only watched that, because everyone here wouldn't shut up. :laugh: So I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Winter by a long shot. Summer Olympics... yawn... too much running. Couldn't say much more about the Winter games, which hasn't already been said.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Winter by a long shot. Summer Olympics... yawn... too much running. Couldn't say much more about the Winter games, which hasn't already been said.

I wish there was a better way to televise track and field. It all feels chaotic and for some reason I always lose interest. However I love how the swimming is presented and Hicks and Gaines on the call.

I prefer the Winter Olympics though. I love alpine skiing, hockey, and some of the figure skating is nice. Still, nothing gets the heart pumping like going down a slope at 8- miles per hour, or any of the sliding events. Skeleton needs more love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad