Which D would you want?

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Hjalmarsson or Leddy, would love Edler or Yandle....I just don't see either of them coming here.....especially Yandle.

Big Giant Head

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
I think Ottawa will test the UFA market before they trade for a non depth defenceman.

Edler would be great assuming Vancouver can't re-sign him/he wants to sign with Ottawa to play with Karlsson/Eugene's willing to open the wallet (my opinion is that he would). A lot of variables have to fall into place in order for that to happen although it's definitely possible.

Smid would fill the void that was left in my heart when we let A-Train walk but apparently he loves Edmonton (even marrying a local girl there). If the Oilers Board had any say he'd already be signed long term and with their biggest need being defence, I'm sure management intends on re-signing him. Unfortunately I don't see him coming to Ottawa.

I like both Yandle and his contract but Phoenix needs a center. I'd be willing to work a deal around Michalek (Reunite the brothers) but that leaves a hole on our top line. I think any deal for Yandle is best done after July 5th when the Murray's know if there's any chance they can sign a Top UFA like Edler/Perry (If that's even what they want to do).

I can't pretend to have seen Gormley play much but judging from what I've read it doesn't sound like Z-Bad + would be enough. However as long as Spezza/Karlsson/Lehner/Cowen/Silfverberg aren't requested I'm open minded.

Regarding Phoenix: basically it's to bad they need a center and not a goalie or prospects, would make things a little bit easier :(

I guess if I had voting privileges I'd choose Edler and Gormely as a long shot 2nd choice.

Also I don't see Ottawa starting to sign players to offer sheets any time soon so I don't consider Subban and Kulikov realistic possibilities.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
My preference would be to make a run for either Edler or Smid if they hit FA, as we wouldn't have to give up assets for them.

If we were to go the trade route, I'd love to acquire Gormley from Phoenix. I would expect the Coyotes asking price to be pretty high though.

Mark Effin Stone

I miss Kuba
May 10, 2010
Stockholm
Edler! We need more Swedes for sure.

Murray should play this when talking to Edler in the summer

Replace Borg with Sens and Locutus with Murray.. all the FA's will sign here.. I'm suprised no other GM's does this. :sarcasm:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Edler! We need more Swedes for sure.

Murray should play this when talking to Edler in the summer

Replace Borg with Sens and Locutus with Murray.. all the FA's will sign here.. I'm suprised no other GM's does this. :sarcasm:

I wonder if the Oilers did this with Heatley when they wanted to trade us for him?

Also, I think Edler might be too young to remember TNG

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
At this point im still unsure of how good Edler really is. I mean he does play on a very good team and even then has not really impressed me.

Yandle on the other hand is a maestro. Completely controls the game. He is the real deal in my mind. He's such a talent that i can overlook the fact that he has little physical game.

I'd swing a deal for Yandle but only after we identify the need is surely needed. Like others have said trading for Yandle would be costly...hard to justify right now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would take any of those players on Ottawa.

In reality I doubt that any of them will end up here.

My #1 would be Edler, though.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Alex Edler seems like most realistic approach.

He's Swedish, he is very good friends with Alfredsson, get's to play with a plethora of Swedes(Alfredsson, Silfv, Karlsson, Zibanejad, Lehner, VIKSTRAND), get's to play with Norris partner.

It just seems perfect and very likely.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Murray does anything he most likely would sign Kent Huskins who will not cost him any assets.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
A package around Zibanejad, Bishop, Wiercioch/Goncar and Pageau - anyone else think Habs would listen and negotiate in a Subban sign and trade? Lehner, Cowen and Karlsson off the table.

Last edited:

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
A package around Zibanejad, Bishop, Wiercioch/Goncar (if he'd go to mentor Galchenyuk) and Pageau - anyone else think Habs would listen and negotiate in a Subban sign and trade? Lehner, Cowen and Karlsson off the table.

He's a young, talented, two-way defenseman with room to grow. I think they plan to build their blue line around him.

To trade for an untouchable, you likely have to give up an untouchable. Our best shot is an offer sheet.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Elder will be re-signed once they trade Luongo, Don't think he'll be an option when FA period comes around.

Not sure it is that simple.

The Canucks will have $50.4M committed cap for 2013-14 without Lulu, leaves them $14M to sign between 8 (roster size 20) and 10 players (roster size 22).

So if Elder is looking for something in the $5M range, which I believe is reasonable, then IMO the Canucks will move him by the deadline.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
A package around Zibanejad, Bishop, Wiercioch/Goncar and Pageau - anyone else think Habs would listen and negotiate in a Subban sign and trade? Lehner, Cowen and Karlsson off the table.

The Canadiens can't afford to lose Subban, so there is really no point to an offer sheet.

Jerk Store*

I don't want PK Subban near this team. Overrated, likely asking for more than what he's worth and, most of all, locker room cancer. Pass.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I don't want PK Subban near this team. Overrated, likely asking for more than what he's worth and, most of all, locker room cancer. Pass.

As someone who's met and hung with P.K a number of times, his attitude problem is completely blown out of proportion. One of the nicer and more down to earth NHLers I've met.

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa
If Subban can't sign in Montreal, I'd love to see him in Ottawa - he's physical and he's good at both ends of the ice. Not sure an offer sheet is the best strategy though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad