Which D is most tradeable?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Nice derail. Come on. You can do it.
"I wuz wrong. There IS more than one type of offensive d"

Gardiner and Rielly are both not good at playing defence in their end.

We already have Phaneuf who is terrible defensively too. And Liles.

So you have to separate all those players and play them with players who play solid defence.

Which means we will have to give one of Phaneuf/Gardiner/Rielly third pairing limited minutes, and 2nd unit PP time.

Terrible idea in my opinion.

Trade one of them and if it isn't Phaneuf it should be Gardiner easily, since Rielly is a way better version of him.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Gardiner and Rielly are both not good at playing defence in their end.

We already have Phaneuf who is terrible defensively too. And Liles.

So you have to separate all those players and play them with players who play solid defence.

Which means we will have to give one of Phaneuf/Gardiner/Rielly third pairing limited minutes, and 2nd unit PP time.

Terrible idea in my opinion.

Trade one of them and if it isn't Phaneuf it should be Gardiner easily, since Rielly is a way better version of him.
Except again, Rielly is not a 'version' of Gardiner. They play different games. And neither is similar at all to Phaneuf.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Except again, Rielly is not a 'version' of Gardiner. They play different games. And neither is similar at all to Phaneuf.

Phaneuf has always played with a solid defensive partner like Gunnarsson, Regher, and such because he is bad defensively.

Rielly and Gardiner are not good defensively.

So not only should they never play with each other but they also shouldn't be paired with Phaneuf.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Phaneuf has always played with a solid defensive partner like Gunnarsson, Regher, and such because he is bad defensively.

Rielly and Gardiner are not good defensively.

So not only should they never play with each other but they also shouldn't be paired with Phaneuf.

Defensive stalwarts like Aulie right? It's amazing how good people look next to Dion. Maybe it's something to do with him?

And again, both being 'bad defensively' does not make them the same anymore than 'both wear skates' does.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Defensive stalwarts like Aulie right? It's amazing how good people look next to Dion. Maybe it's something to do with him?

And again, both being 'bad defensively' does not make them the same anymore than 'both wear skates' does.

Aulie was a great stay at home shutdown d-man.

He's been looking decent for Tampa.

I know it doesn't make them the same. They are both bad defensively (one component of the game) but Morgan Rielly is WAY better offensively.

That's why I'm saying we should trade Gardiner...:help:

number72

Oct 9, 2011
I think Kostka is most tradeable. He has shown
- he is capable of playing 30 minutes a night
- he can clean up for phaneuf's mistakes and mental lapses
- has a attractive low cap contract.

That said, there is no way the leafs would trade Kostka without overpayment as he makes Phaneuf and every other leaf on the ice better

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo

I know it doesn't make them the same. They are both bad defensively (one component of the game) but Morgan Rielly is WAY better offensively.

I would trade Gards for the right price.

But I mean... the 'price' is up in the air right now. What are you suggesting we trade him for?

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
I think Kostka is most tradeable. He has shown
- he is capable of playing 30 minutes a night
- he can clean up for phaneuf's mistakes and mental lapses
- has a attractive low cap contract.

That said, there is no way the leafs would trade Kostka without overpayment as he makes Phaneuf and every other leaf on the ice better

he has only played 5 nhl games, trade him for what? a bag of pucks. :sarcasm:
he still has a long way to go to prove he can stay in the NHL.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I would trade Gards for the right price.

But I mean... the 'price' is up in the air right now. What are you suggesting we trade him for?

One of the holes we have in our lineup. (Note, offensive defenceman is not a hole...we have too many as is)

Center, Shutdown Defenceman, Goalie, Power Forward

Any of those will do.

Combine Gardiner with Kessel and we could knock off one of those holes pretty easily.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
One of the holes we have in our lineup. (Note, offensive defenceman is not a hole...we have too many as is)

Center, Shutdown Defenceman, Goalie, Power Forward

Any of those will do.

Combine Gardiner with Kessel and we could knock off one of those holes pretty easily.

I seem to remember a time the leafs had two upcoming promising prospects and we traded one for an immediate need. Oh yes, we traded Tukka Rask and put our faith in Justin Pogge.

That worked out brilliantly.

PS trading Kessel fills one hole but adds another hole. Sure we get a center, but now we lose our all star winger.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I seem to remember a time the leafs had two upcoming promising prospects and we traded one for an immediate need. Oh yes, we traded Tukka Rask and put our faith in Justin Pogge.

That worked out brilliantly.

Has nothing to do with the present situation.

We drafted Morgan Rielly because he is going to be an amazing NHL player.

End of story.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place

The fact is, Phaneuf only looked bad when Francois was his defensive partner. We are in no position to trade either Gardiner or Liles till Reilly is ready and even then, only Liles should be moved. Overall I agree with what you are saying but for future reference, just block the person you are arguing with. You can never change a decisivly ignorant and irrational mind.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Phaneuf made Aulie look a lot better then he was. Playing D is pretty simple when all you need to do is hang back because your partner is a 3 time all-star who covers a lot of ice, does all the offensive lifting for the pairing and isn`t as bad defensively as people make him out to be. It was equivalent to the Markov-Komisarek pairing. Guess which one was the major cog. If Aule stops somebody everybody goes look at how great Aulie look because they went down his side in the first place to avoid going down Phaneuf wing because he might end their career with a hit and Aulie doesn`t make the play people will still blame Phaneuf a lot of the time because he left his partner out to dry by trying to be offensive or simply because he makes a lot of money.

Aulie has played less then 13 minutes per game in Tampa this season. He hasn`t had a chance to look good or for that matter bad.

Why can`t Gardiner improve defensively and become something like Vlasic is to the Sharks. Why can`t Rielly become good defensively

The game has also changed over the years and having a mobile D that can quickly exit the zone is more important than it was even 3 seasons ago let alone 10 or 20 which is why guys like Komisarek are having a tough time or Schenn struggled.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Phaneuf made Aulie look a lot better then he was. Playing D is pretty simple well all you need to do is hang back because your partner is a 3 time all-star who covers a lot of ice, does all the offensive lifting for the pairing and isn`t as bad defensively as people make him out to be. It was equivalent to the Markov-Komisarek pairing. Guess which one was the major cog.

Aulie has played less then 13 minutes per game in Tampa this season. He hasn`t had a chance to look good or for that matter bad.

Why can`t Gardiner improve defensively and become something like Vlasic is to the Sharks. Why can`t Rielly become good defensively

The game has also changed over the years and have a mobile D that can quickly exit the zone is more importnat than it was even 3 seasons ago let alone 10 or 20 which is why guys like Komisarek are having a tough time or Schenn struggled.

Gardiner and Rielly can't improve defensively because they are soft.

Can't have Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, and Rielly.

Pick two and use the other two to trade to fill holes in the lineup.

We don't need that many offensive defencemen.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Gardiner and Rielly can't improve defensively because they are soft.

Can't have Phaneuf, Liles, Gardiner, and Rielly.

Pick two and use the other two to trade to fill holes in the lineup.

We don't need that many offensive defencemen.

Gardiner is injured right now.

Rielly won`t be with the team until at least next year and even then it isn`t a gurantee.

Liles is a mentoring role right now with Gardiner and maybe even Rielly who will need to be taught a lot at the NHL level from a veteran. Liles will most likely be traded before the end of his contract but there is no rush atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad