Which D is most tradeable?

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Of our D-men who can play or are playing NHL minutes, who should/could we move for more needed assets.

Phaneuf
Kostka
Gardiner
Gunnarsson
Komisarek
Liles
Holzer
Franson
Fraser

imo, we have a lot of depth, but not very high quality d-men. It seems like a waste of resources to be sitting on this many guys, we only need 6 guys to be able to play we have 9, plus Blacker and Rielly joining sooner than later.

We can easily move 1 or 2 of these guys, and just carry 7 or 8 NHL D.

Phaneuf (I'm a Dion fan for the most part, but given the play of the team, i think Dion as captain was a mistake that needs to be erased, and he could get a decent return)
Kostka (Nobody will take him, and he's been playing well for us)
Gardiner (Probably not wise to move him now, we don't really know what we have with him yet)
Gunnarsson (Very tradeable good cap hit, does a bit of everything)
Komisarek (No one will take him, and he's starting to turn it around with RC)
Liles (Older, and not a super friendly contract, but may be a good choice to move if a team takes him, Phaneuf, Gardiner and Gunnar all can move the puck to some level)
Holzer (I think we know what we have with him, and has okay value for a D-man giving his age and contract)
Franson (Little value right now, from last year, but his stock may rise, has shown flashes of upside)
Fraser (Almost 0 trade value, you can find someone close to him on waivers or as an FA with out giving up assests)

With that said, I see one of Holzer, Gunnar, Liles or (slim chance) Phaneuf being dealt for futures, or help in net/upfront.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Franson.

He's unreliable defensively. And while decent offensively, he'll even have trouble cracking the 2nd PP unit down the line with Phaneuf + Gardiner + Rielly, leaving only one empty spot.

Liles could also be moved at some point, though probably after the season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
One of the big reasons as to why Kostka is up with the Leafs, is because the team was certain that he would get claimed if on waivers.

As far as trade value goes.

Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Franson, and Liles would be the order for Dmen value in Toronto.

No one gives you anything for Komisarek, Frazer, or Phaneuf.

But the other 4 names?

Liles in particular - I think his value increases the longer you wait; there always seems to be a market for a PP quarterback/puck moving Dman.

With Gardiner and Reilly in the system, and progressing nicely, Liles likely becomes expendable before he reaches the end of his contract.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Personally he shouldn't go but I think he'd garner the most interest; Carl Gunnarsson.

Top-4 dmen at 1.35 million, that do what he can do are extremely valuable.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I think Kostka is being showcased tbh.

"Showcasing" a depth defenceman might fetch you an upgrade from a 5th-round pick to a 4th-round pick, if a team's scouts saw something more in him in this stint than they'd seen previously. But really, that's hardly a difference-maker, is it?

Gardiner is (along with Rielly) the blueline asset with the most value. But they'd be fools to trade either unless it was to bring a young top-line centre in return.

Phaneuf's contract and his middling play for the past few seasons depress his value - you wouldn't get elite talent back for him without some serious question marks or issues attached.

Likes has some value, but his contract - while not bad - isn't as friendly as other options on the market.

Far and away the most tradeable asset that the Leafs would likely consider moving is Gunnarsson for the reasons you mention - but I hope they resist the temptation. He's safe and reliable most nights, and he's versatile and affordable. He's also a glue guy on the ice, able to play with an improve virtually any pairing.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Most tradable? Excluding Phaneuf who i think should be untouchable, Gunnarsson. I would say Franson is next on the list. His departure would have a much smaller impact on the roster so I would hope he's the one moved out if it comes down to it.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I think the same things that make Gunnarsson "tradeable" are the exact things that make him indispensable to the Leafs.

-low maintenance
-cheap contract (RFA status)
-plays all-around solid game (not exceptional at anything, but decent at everything)
-can be paired with just about anybody
-can play top-pairing or bottom-pairing...whatever is asked of him

I think he's exactly the kind of guy we need to keep.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is talk in a thread started by an Avalanche fan, about a Statsny for Phaneuf trade.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Phaneuff untouchable.

Yes,that is exactly what other GM's say,"I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole."

Gunner is the most tradeable,but we wont be trading him.For the dollar he is the best we have.

The 2 most likely are Franson,he is young and cheap which will interest other teams because he has upside.And Liles at trade deadline will get interest as he is a pp qb guy.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Gunnar has the best value.

Kind of sucks that we have some very good D-men, yet we give up 3 goals most night.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
Nobody is untouchable. Which means they're all tradable! Everything is for sale if the price is right.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Yes,that is exactly what other GM's say,"I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole."

Yea right. Just look at how much interest there is in the trade forum. If the average HFBoard populace wants a Toronto Maple Leaf, you can sure as hell bet there's real GMs that want him too.

And frankly, who would we get to replace Phaneuf? The guy is a physical monster. This is the type of player the Maple Leafs have wanted going all the way back to the Sundin years. Losing him now would be tragic.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Of our D-men who can play or are playing NHL minutes, who should/could we move for more needed assets.

Phaneuf
Kostka
Gardiner
Gunnarsson
Komisarek
Liles
Holzer
Franson
Fraser

imo, we have a lot of depth, but not very high quality d-men. It seems like a waste of resources to be sitting on this many guys, we only need 6 guys to be able to play we have 9, plus Blacker and Rielly joining sooner than later.

We can easily move 1 or 2 of these guys, and just carry 7 or 8 NHL D.

Phaneuf (I'm a Dion fan for the most part, but given the play of the team, i think Dion as captain was a mistake that needs to be erased, and he could get a decent return)
Kostka (Nobody will take him, and he's been playing well for us)
Gardiner (Probably not wise to move him now, we don't really know what we have with him yet)
Gunnarsson (Very tradeable good cap hit, does a bit of everything)
Komisarek (No one will take him, and he's starting to turn it around with RC)
Liles (Older, and not a super friendly contract, but may be a good choice to move if a team takes him, Phaneuf, Gardiner and Gunnar all can move the puck to some level)
Holzer (I think we know what we have with him, and has okay value for a D-man giving his age and contract)
Franson (Little value right now, from last year, but his stock may rise, has shown flashes of upside)
Fraser (Almost 0 trade value, you can find someone close to him on waivers or as an FA with out giving up assests)

With that said, I see one of Holzer, Gunnar, Liles or (slim chance) Phaneuf being dealt for futures, or help in net/upfront.

franson ?

Kyle Doobas*

Most tradeable would have to be Gunnarsson or Liles, in terms of actually getting something of value back while not destroying our back end. I don't think Franson/Kostka/Fraser/etc. would net us anything equal to or better than what they provide.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I could see kostka getting traded, especially when more nhl players get up to speed. Not that I don't think he is good, I just don't think there is room. I could also see liles getting traded but he like mcarthur don't really fit with our team, they are both assistant captains. If that means anything these days?

Fat Quinn

Jan 24, 2013
Maybe Komisarek, if he has a turn around season...

And if a GM was truly, TRULY, desperate....

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
I could see kostka getting traded, especially when more nhl players get up to speed. Not that I don't think he is good, I just don't think there is room. I could also see liles getting traded but he like mcarthur don't really fit with our team, they are both assistant captains. If that means anything these days?

for what? a bag of pucks

leafspring*

Gardiner is the safest bet to say he won't be traded,is all i will say.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Trade all of them, RC will roll:

Kostka - Kostka
Kostka - Kostka
Kostka - Kostka
Kostka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad