Which Current Players Will Have Their Jerseys Retired?

Which Current Players Will Have Their Jerseys Retired?

• Total voters

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
You go to the Pepsi Center circa 2040 to watch a game, and look up at the rafters.

Will there be any jerseys to accompany Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, and Bourque? And if so, whose?

Obviously a bold prediction since:
a. Star players are still young
b. Is highly conditional on team success
c. Is conditional on injuries
d. Is conditional on team loyalty
But all of that goes into the prediction regardless.

Poll created to track responses, but please elaborate otherwise.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't even want to guess this since I thought for sure Matt Duchene would eventually have his jersey hanging from the rafters.

At the very least, 18 just needs to be taken out of the rotation entirely, unless it's Derick Brassard situation where both sides know there's no future.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
As of right now, I'm going to opinion Mack, Rants, and Landy.

I guess my reasoning there is a good chance they'll be legendary enough, with a good enough Cup potential for SOMEONE to be worthy to have their number retired. And it's hard for me to see only 1-2 to make it without all 3.

Obviously Makar has the talent, maybe others, but I guess there is more uncertainty at this point, because the other 3 have already laid a tenured base to accomplish it.

Reactions: MacBradley

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
If Landeskog plays his whole career with the Avalanche I see 92 being retired since he was the youngest captain ever at one point and stuck through a few awful years.

MacKinnon is another potential name to be added if he helps the Avalanche to a cup but Landeskog being the captain for the majority of his career could hurt the immediate chances.

Out of the current stars for the Avalanche Rantanen is the least likely due to perceptions that his success was based off of what MacKinnon did. If he is intrasmental in a cup run and spends the majority of his career it is likely he makes to the rafters.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Too early to tell with Makar, but the big line will likely be up there. Landy for sure, don't see him ever putting on another sweater. MacKinnon also will be resigned one way or the other at the end of his contract. Rantanen might move on at the end of this deal though, so of the three I'd say he's the only one who may be questionable.

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
TBH the only one might be Landy so far, but even then he has more to do.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Too early to tell with Makar, but the big line will likely be up there. Landy for sure, don't see him ever putting on another sweater. MacKinnon also will be resigned one way or the other at the end of his contract. Rantanen might move on at the end of this deal though, so of the three I'd say he's the only one who may be questionable.

I wouldn't be so quick to say Landy won't put on another sweater. He tipped a delivery driver under a dollar twice. That dudes gonna go for the money someday I'm certain of it and if we don't have it well....

Edit: that delivery driver was me if anyone was wondering if that was just a rumor or just some bs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think it all depends on whether this current group wins a cup or not.

If they win a cup, I think Landy and Mack end up in the rafters. Possibly Mikko if he keeps doing what he's doing for 10 more years as well. And maybe Makar if he actually ends up winning a Norris or two in his career.

I'll say Landy and Mack as my answer.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I don't know about the current crop of players but I suspect we see number 4 up in the rafters next. It would pay homage to one of the greatest defensive talents this team ever saw, and even though they are no longer playing for us, their impact is still being felt.

We miss you Greg Zanon.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Landy is really the player with the best chance. He's been a captain most of his career, is very likely to be here into his mid 30s, going to end his career in the top 5-7 in franchise history in points and goals, etc (Quebec and Colorado combined... he's already 4th in goals for the Avs and could move into 3rd and 7th in points where he should move up to 5th or 6th this season depending on MacK passing him). I feel the odds are very high he's going to get his number retired as long as he signs an extension.

MacK and Rants will likely have the numbers to support them getting retired, but they will need to stick around past their current contracts OR win a couple Cups in the next few years.

With EJ, I don't think his ability has ever been high enough to warrant his number being retired, and he's not been the face of the franchise or that level of leader on the team. Falls in the same area as Tanguay, Liles, Stastny, Deadmarsh, etc.

The younger players, it is just way too early to say much of anything.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This group has to win a cup first, without one none of them, but if they do I can see Landy and MacKinnon up there if their careers keeping going as projected. I have a hard time seeing Rantanen here throughout his career and it's way too early to tell on Makar and Byram.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
This is all a crapshoot guessing game, but if the current group hypothetically matches the classic group with at least two Cup wins, and all these players hypothetically reach their potential and have long careers with the Avs, AND they keep the bar the same as they did with the classic group, probably all but EJ. But when they retired Hejduk's number, they closed out the honors for the classic group, and I think they should elevate the bar for getting a number retired going forward. So a bar set at Sakic,
Forsberg and Roy.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Eagerly hoping for none, assuming it'll be about eight of them if we win a cup in the next five years

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Had Stastny signed back here last year he would have been a possibility, but now Landeskog is the closest and at 26 it’s going to be over a decade before another number goes up.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Landeskog is close to a lock imo.
He's 26 so we can expect him to be the captain for an other 8 to 10 years ?
I'll retire in the top 5ish for games and points.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Landeskog is close to a lock imo.
He's 26 so we can expect him to be the captain for an other 8 to 10 years ?
I'll retire in the top 5ish for games and points.
I could see Lacroix getting an honor. Yeah he was behind a lot of the aimlessness of the franchise for the late aughts/early teens, but two Cups, 9 division titles and pulled off some blockbuster deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->