Which city would you like to host the next Fallout game

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They sort of did LA in the first game. I wouldn't mind them revisiting it, but I see a few problems:
1) They'd have to work around or include the events, locations and factions of the first game.
2) Hardly anything of LA (or any big city in the Southwest) was left. They could re-imagine it, but there'd be the continuity problem.
3) A "desert" setting (like the first two games and New Vegas had) might not show off their modern engine too well.
4) Such a setting would be close in look and feel to New Vegas, which Bethesda seems to want to distance itself from.

I suspect that Bethesda will want to go somewhere new... not the Southwest (done that), not the East Coast (done that)... but still in America. Something in the middle might be good: Colorado, Montana, the Dakotas. I'd rather that they target an area, like a state with many smaller cities (like Interplay did with the original games), rather than one big city, as if it's a GTA game.

I'd like to have a Fallout in Alaska, personally. The war that ended civilization was fought over oil and started with China invading Alaska, so it'd be like visiting ground zero. A lot of history of the war could be explored. It'd also just be a very different location for the franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They sort of did LA in the first game. I wouldn't mind them revisiting it, but there are some problems:
1) They'd have to work around or include the events, locations and factions of the first game.
2) Hardly anything of LA (or any big city in the Southwest) was left. They could re-imagine it, but there'd be the continuity problem.
3) A "desert" setting (like the first two games and New Vegas had) might not show off their modern engine too well.

I suspect that Bethesda will want to go somewhere new... not the Southwest (done that), not the East Coast (done that)... but still in America. Something in the middle might be good: Colorado, Montana, the Dakotas.

I'd like to have a Fallout in Alaska, personally. The war that ended civilization was fought over oil and started with China invading Alaska, so it'd be like visiting ground zero. A lot of history of the war could be explored. It'd also just be a very different location for the franchise.

Wasteland 3 takes place in Colorado and I wonder if they're sort of trying to avoid each other's space.

Basically it's a snow-based one and you drive an armed snowcat around.

I second doing London because you could simulate a lot of the famous landmarks and neighbourhoods and people would still be familiar with them.

Plus you could get some decent voice actors.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wasteland 3 takes place in Colorado and I wonder if they're sort of trying to avoid each other's space.

Basically it's a snow-based one and you drive an armed snowcat around.

I still need to play Wasteland 3, so I didn't know that. When it comes to Alaska, I was thinking that it could be a somewhat snow-free setting, perhaps because of climate change, effects of radiation or even just being set in the Summer or mostly in the south of the state. That would help it avoid feeling like Wasteland 3 or a Metro game.

As for international locations, Bethesda did a lot of scouting in Boston to get Fallout 4 right, and travel restrictions, quarantining and other issues could complicate things right now. It might not be the best time to set a game outside of the country for the first time in the franchise. Of course, that's only assuming that they're planning ahead now. With their hands full with Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI, they may not even think about the next Fallout until one of those (likely Starfield) is done, at which point international travel may be back to normal.

I'm not sure that, even then, they'll want to set the game anywhere but their home country, though. After all, Fallout is intrinsically associated with America... its ad campaigns, its circa-1960 retro style, its music, its government programs. Getting away from that would be fresh, but would it still feel like Fallout or more like a generic post-apocalyptic game?

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
LA was present in Fallout as the Boneyard. I wouldn't mind a return to California for a new Fallout game but I think something new would be more interesting. Colorado is an interesting suggestion because from what is mentioned in New Vegas, Caesar controls a lot of the state.

Setting aside, I am cautiously optimistic for the future of the franchise. Although BGS is going to be tied up until at least 2026/2027 with Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI, with Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax a whole new world of options are now available. We could see Obsidian work on a new Fallout game after the release of Avowed, or remakes of Fallout 1 and 2 (or even a new isometric RPG which would be awesome) by InXile.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Personally, I would love to see Detroit, could do a Windsor connection too, smuggling Nuka Cola across the Detroit River, a vault hidden under some of the buildings on Belle Isle.

And when in Canada, it would be amusing to me to see bilingual Vault-Tec signs.

Reactions: Power Man

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
LA was present in Fallout as the Boneyard. I wouldn't mind a return to California for a new Fallout game but I think something new would be more interesting. Colorado is an interesting suggestion because from what is mentioned in New Vegas, Caesar controls a lot of the state.

Good point. Also, Colorado features the most famous "fallout shelter," the Cheyenne Mountain Complex. That could be either the vault that the player comes out of it or, perhaps more excitingly, one of the main areas of the game that the player visits and explores, maybe even the setting of the end game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As long as it's not east coast I don't really care. Preferably they go somewhere else on the planet or back to the way more interesting (in a post-apocalypse) desert southwest setting. Washington was boring and Boston got old fast. Just not interesting geographically.

West Virginia would have been a cool setting for a real game...sigh.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Part of the reason I would like something in Europe (or elsewhere) is that they would have the creative license to actually develop something novel instead of finding a way to shoehorn Vault-Tec and the Brotherhood of Steel into every game.

It's similar to Elder Scrolls where they are definitely fun but seeing the same factions over and over again gets a bit repetitive.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The issue with potentially going with Europe is wasn't the story based around a nuclear war between the US and China that due to it being a nuclear war it was over in a matter of minutes once all the bombs fell. We have already seen some instances of locations that were not completely nuked in the current US locations, so why would areas that were not even targeted with nukes have any damage? Europe, Africa, Australia, and South America could be still going on like normal

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The issue with potentially going with Europe is wasn't the story based around a nuclear war between the US and China that due to it being a nuclear war it was over in a matter of minutes once all the bombs fell. We have already seen some instances of locations that were not completely nuked in the current US locations, so why would areas that were not even targeted with nukes have any damage? Europe, Africa, Australia, and South America could be still going on like normal

I don't know specifically where the Fallout lore goes here, if US/China just nuked each other or if it was like the Cold War where US/NATO and the USSR had nukes pointed everywhere. But either way I assume US and China just nuking each other would cause enough environmental damage/fallout/nuclear winter to collapse the rest of society. So buildings won't be bombed out, but maybe most people left the cities or died of starvation so you have more of a Chernobyl thing where a radiated nature starts reclaiming the cities.

So in that line of thought, I doubt it would be even considered but putting on a homer hat for a minute I wonder if Vancouver would make a good location. The downtown urban jungle/core can easily be isolated as an island, has an actual wilderness of roughly equal size right next to it in Stanley Park, and has nearby mountain and island environments. Downside is lacking a good subway system as most of the RT rail here is a skytrain, a lack of notable 'monuments', and the rest of the GVA urban area is going to be pretty standard/boring. But just from a geography perspective it could make a cool more nature-y focused environment.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
You could easily add to this story with something like France became allies with the US and got nuked by China and then set the game in Paris.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's literally nothing about anywhere aside from North America and China that I can recall so they have carte blanche to invent any kind of story they want.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I'd almost be looking at Louisiana especially the New Orleans and the surrounding bayous, or South Florida and the Everglades could be interesting, wouldn't mind a PNW or cascades area setting.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I would like to see somewhere outside North America.

The issue as I see it is that Fallout is so wrapped up in the retro Americana theme that it wouldn't really fit the game.

A Canadian city would be interesting to explore as they can work in the close American-Canadian relationship that exists in real life and also the annexation of Canada by the US in Fallout lore.

So Vancouver or Toronto?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd almost be looking at Louisiana especially the New Orleans and the surrounding bayous, or South Florida and the Everglades could be interesting, wouldn't mind a PNW or cascades area setting.

They sort of did that with the Point Lookout DLC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad