Which city should get a team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Original6

sandman441 said:
We get something else nobody else gets and that is checks from the government. I think Alaska can support a franchise could I be wrong yes but with all the factors thrown in (permanent fund plus I am sure the government here would support the team) I think they can support a team.

I doubt alaska is ever going to get a team. A few reasons being A) the population is not much B) Travelling

Last edited by a moderator:

Original6

Evileye said:
How about the fact that they didn't sell-out games in the Finals against Detroit?
Can I see some proof please? since I didn't know this.

Evileye said:
When they were playing the Leafs in that same playoff year, Leaf fans were able to drive down and buy tickets at the box-office.
Again, Can I see some solid proof? (not from some person who knows a person etc.)

Evileye said:
This should NEVER happen in a market that properly supports hockey.
When I was watching the East conf. finals that year I could have sworn on tv it appeared to be properly supported. Whether it was a bandwagon I don't know. Probably? :dunno:

Evileye said:
The cold hard truth is that in the south any sport that does not involve a ball or a motorized vehicle will not be popular.

The cold hard truth is that this comment is nothin but ignorant.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Original6 said:
Can I see some proof please? since I didn't know this.

Again, Can I see some solid proof? (not from some person who knows a person etc.)

When I was watching the East conf. finals that year I could have sworn on tv it appeared to be properly supported. Whether it was a bandwagon I don't know. Probably? :dunno:

The cold hard truth is that this comment is nothin but ignorant.
the guy is right - where you been hiding? - it was on tv for god's sake

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Ah well. I guess us Saskatchewan fans will have to live with the SJHL, the best junior A hockey league in North America, five WHL teams and one of the best midget AAA leagues in the country. We can also gloat about the accomplishments of our many players in the show. Oh, and did I mention that there's an SJHL or WHL team within two hours of the vast majority of this province's population, the tickets are affordable and the leagues are lockout-proof?

By the way, I'd love to see Oklahoma City get a team, but only if they keep their current coach and GM, Doug Sauter. The team is like a friggin' Saskatchewan-reunion. I know a few players who have been part of the team - Brad Herauf (one of the most articulate players in recent SJHL history), Justin Kot, Cam Breitkreuz and Joel Pullman, among others. I believe Tyler Fleck is the captain. Always try to keep tabs on Oklahoma City because of my connections with the team. I don't think the city will ever land a franchise, although I like their chances a lot more than Anchorage.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
KillerB 's said:
I understand that San Jose is very close to Oakland. What about the Rangers and Islanders, their closer than Oakland and San Jose. From NYC to Uniondale, Long Island is 28.42 miles. From Oakland to San Jose is 41.08 miles.
I'm saying that citys that used to have teams should get one back.
The New York metropolitan area is MUCH larger than the SF Bay Area (San Jose / San Francisco / Oakland) and can support three teams (Forgot about the Devils?). The Bay Area cannot - especially Oakland with only about 300K population. The Bay Area can't really support two teams in Baseball - it certainly can't in hockey.

Did you ever think that there are legitimate reasons why cities lost teams?

I don't get all the nostolgia over Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford. The only reason they ever got teams was because of the WHA, a league that tried and failed in real markets and was reduced to second tier markets. Are Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford really any more NHL worthy markets than Cincinatti or Birmingham, or Indianapolis or any other failed WHA market (Houston, San Diego, anyone).

The sad truth is that none of the ex-WHA markets would ever have gotten an NHL expansion team, nor should they have - their markets just weren't big enough to make them attractive.

The new economy of the new CBA might allow a team to survive in Winnipeg, but that's really the only possibility, but the new CBA also means it's very unlikely that any current team will fail and try to relocate, and if they do, there are many more appealing options: Portland, Houston, Vegas, KC, etc. The only way Winnipeg will ever get a team is if the league expands to 32 teams in 5 or more years, and even then, Winnipeg would be a bone thrown to Canada by the NHL - there are more promising expansion sites in the US.

Original6

mr gib said:
the guy is right - where you been hiding? - it was on tv for god's sake

Well if it was so embarressing why can't I find any hard facts?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
jamiebez said:
"Deserves" is such a subjective word.... it's easy to say Winnipeg or Quebec City "deserves" a team, but of the cities that have been mentioned, very few have the combination you need to get a team: a suitable arena, a large enough market size and a willing/likely ownership group.

The cities that fit the bill (in no particular order) as I see it are:
- Houston. Les Alexander as an owner, the brand-new Toyota Centre and the 4th largest TV market in the US
- Winnipeg. The Aspers as owners (potential partnership with Global TV in Canada), the brand-new MTS Centre, a hockey-crazy city
- Kansas City. New arena (opening in 2006), NHL21 ownership group already in place.

Portland is close, too, but the likeliest owner (Paul Allen) has never expressed interest in the NHL (so far).

But at least Paul Allen is no longer a road block to an NHL team - he no longer controls the Rose Garden, one of the most NHL ready, non-NHL arenas in the US.

Original6

kdb209 said:
The New York metropolitan area is MUCH larger than the SF Bay Area (San Jose / San Francisco / Oakland) and can support three teams (Forgot about the Devils?). The Bay Area cannot - especially Oakland with only about 300K population. The Bay Area can't really support two teams in Baseball - it certainly can't in hockey.

I don't get all the nostolgia over Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford. The only reason they ever got teams was because of the WHA, a league that tried and failed in real markets and was reduced to second tier markets. Are Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford really any more NHL worthy markets than Cincinatti or Birmingham, or Indianapolis or any other failed WHA market (Houston, San Diego, anyone).

The sad truth is that none of the ex-WHA markets would ever have gotten an NHL expansion team, nor should they have - their markets just weren't big enough to make them attractive.

The new economy of the new CBA might allow a team to survive in Winnipeg, but that's really the only possibility, but the new CBA also means it's very unlikely that any current team will fail and try to relocate, and if they do, there are many more appealing options: Portland, Houston, Vegas, KC, etc. The only way Winnipeg will ever get a team is if the league expands to 32 teams in 5 or more years, and even then, Winnipeg would be a bone thrown to Canada by the NHL - there are more promising expansion sites in the US.

Edmonton is still around :handclap:

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
Original6 said:
I doubt alaska is ever going to get a team. A few reasons being A) the population is not much B) Travelling

Yeah I said that in most if not all of my other posts. Out population is getting larger but until they get planes fast enough to travel from here to anywhere else we won't get one.

Lucky Lager

Jul 17, 2002
Northern Ontario
tangible_faith said:
Why give them another chance? If there is any metro/populated area that gets another team it is Toronto. Besides The Bay area isn't a hockey market. It is one of the most populated areas in the country but those are only numbers.

I couldn't agree more. However instead of Toronto simply put one in Hamilton. Yeah yeah there's fees and such, but I think Hamilton would be a viable choice.

Winnipeg - my top choice. Bring back the Jets!

Québéc - très bien!

Seattle - I think would be a good city as well seeing how close they are to our Canadian border.

Portland - donno where it is and too lazy to care

As for that large REDICULOUS list, i'd say someone had too much time on their hands.

Sekarn

Aug 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
Draftman said:
Some comments on the list of cities:

Houston - they could care less about hockey
New Orleans - they care less than Houston
Portland - great city for hockey but can they support a big league team?
Seattle - a very possible location for a new team
Salt Lake City - what the hell do Mormons know about hockey?
Cleveland or Cincinnati - the state of Ohio already has Columbus, that's more than enough
Louisville - they'd only care if horses wear skates
Indianapolis - they'd only care if cars wear skates
Baltimore - they can drive to DC
San Antonio - they remember the Alamo, and little else
Las Vegas - great if you're planning to include gambling in the sport or if you want to have all 40 players on the ice at the same time (I'm All In)
Mexico City - too stupid to even comment on
San Diego - the top choice IMO
Jacksonville - you want another money losing franchise in Fla?

I Live in Salt Lake City and I just wanted to point out that, while I am not Mormon, a lot of the guys that I play hockey with are and they know a lot about the game. They are also quite passionate about it and are passing this love for the game down to their children, which will be part of the future fanbase of the game here.

As for Salt Lake City being a viable location for an NHL franchise, I say forget it. The Utah Grizzlies received no promotion from any of the local networks and little-to-no coverage in the local papers for one reason: The owner of the NBA Utah Jazz (Larry Miller) hates hockey and has done everything in his power to drive any sort of professional hockey out of the area. The only reason we have any sort of pro team now was because of the E-Center, which was built for the Olympics, and they needed a tenant to occupy the building once the Games were done. That being said, there are quite a few rabid hockey fans here. Maybe in 20-30 years, the NHL in Salt Lake City MIGHT work, but not a chance in **** now.

My choices for cities that need and would support an NHL franchise would include:

Quebec City/Winnipeg: I strongly believe that the new financial make-up of the game could very easily allow teams in these cities to be successful. I was living in Rochester, NY when both the Jets and Nordiques moved and thought that it was terrible and a disgrace to the game that they relocated.

I feel that the fans in Quebec City suffered for so long, just to have it snatched away when the franchise became good and I also believe the Jets would have been able to remain competitive if the financial reality of the league had been fixed in '95.

I am a lifelong fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins and, while I don't want them to relocate, if they did I would absolutely want them in Canada, preferably in Winnipeg or Quebec City.

Hamilton: I think that a team could work here, however there is the territorial issue with the Leafs and, more importantly, with the Sabres. It would be nice, but I don't think that it will happen as long as the Sabres are in Buffalo.

As for a US area that could support an NHL franchise, I have always been surprised that Wisconsin does not have a team. My cousins live there and I played numerous travel tournaments there when I was younger and hockey would easily flourish in the area.

In all, I hope that no team has to relocate any time soon. Not too realistic, I know. If there is to be more expansion (or relocations) in the future I hope that a city in Canada is the first to get a franchise. The game needs it and Canada deserves it. Especially Quebec City and Winnipeg. Even this "dumb" American who "doesn't get" the game can see this. :)

CF

Dec 10, 2004
Burnaby, BC
benderkyle said:
I couldn't agree more. However instead of Toronto simply put one in Hamilton. Yeah yeah there's fees and such, but I think Hamilton would be a viable choice.

Winnipeg - my top choice. Bring back the Jets!

Québéc - très bien!

Seattle - I think would be a good city as well seeing how close they are to our Canadian border.

Portland - donno where it is and too lazy to care

As for that large REDICULOUS list, i'd say someone had too much time on their hands.
People like you are the reason why Ontario is called the centre of the universe.

Portland is in Oregon, and loves hockey as much, if not more than most current NHL cities. The Winterhawks hold most WHL attendance records, and the city has lots of hockey history. Portland also has a great NHL sized arena(Seattle's arena wouldn't work for hockey). They should have had an NHL team a long time ago.

Spooky371*

Just forget Québec. No Arena.

Eh, I just wake up, and I have dream Wild move up to Philly or Detroit for next season ..

I dont think its a possiblity to Philly with Phantoms.. but can Detroit have 2 franchises ??

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Winnipeg, thier was nothing wrong with that franchise other then money.
Quebec, oh my god, the battle of quebec again, again the money issue.
Hamilton would be an instant success, not for Buffalo though.

With new arena's these three sites would be sure fire success stories. AS far as Buffalo is concerned stopping Hamilton, Buffalo will have to finaly get thier own act together and draw thier own fans and not rely on Hamilton fans to prop them up. Short sited ownership is the problem there.

Portland, yes. it's not that small and It's a hockey hot bed.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Winnipeg, thier was nothing wrong with that franchise other then money.
Quebec, oh my god, the battle of quebec again, again the money issue.
Hamilton would be an instant success, not for Buffalo though.

With new arena's these three sites would be sure fire success stories. AS far as Buffalo is concerned stopping Hamilton, Buffalo will have to finaly get thier own act together and draw thier own fans and not rely on Hamilton fans to prop them up. Short sited ownership is the problem there.

Portland, yes. it's not that small and It's a hockey hot bed.

New York, look it's way big enough to have two NHL teams. This would maximize the entire reagon. Build an instant rivalry and wow huge hockey exposure. With both at a 39mil cap it would be a war.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Original6 said:
That's what the diehards want you to believe. The fact is, unless some rich billionaire has some attachment to Winnipeg or the jets and wants to buy an NHL team for sale and move em (whats the chances of that?), it aint happening.

They can always root for the manitoba moose.

Ever heard of David Asper? His family's worth about $1.8 billion, last I checked...

http://www.notacolony.ca/0204news/021304A Asper would pony up.htm

Evileye

Jul 20, 2002
Visit site
Original6 said:
Its a difficult thing to Google.

I can tell you without question that there were plenty of Leaf fans in the building during the series, I remember them all singing O Canada. I also remember it being a big story that all the Leaf fans were able to drive down there and get in to see a game. I found one article with a recap of game 2 referencing this:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/cup02/games/2002-05-19-tor-car.htm
At the end of the article it talks of several thousand Leaf fans and the mixed crowd.
It also makes mention of them selling a bunch of standing room seats, where do you think the demand for that came from?

I have nothing against Carolina but as a Canadian who basically bleeds hockey, I found it disturbing to hear about this back then. I know that in a city like Hamilton, this would never happen. And that they don't have a team because of 'political' reasons. The mentality shouldn't be 'build it and they will come' it should be go where the fans already are.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Original6 said:
saw it with my own eye's on hockey night in canada when the series was on - they had cameras with fans as they drove from toronto to carolina - also in the piece was a fantastic fluff bit on how warm and friendly the hurricane fans were - you're in denial

KillerB 's

Jul 23, 2005
kdb209 said:

The post i quoted said that the sharks were from Oakland, so i didn't include San Fran in my post because we wernt talking about San Fran, so I didn't include the Devils either because we were talking about 2 cities, not three. Even if I did include the Devils, those three teams are closer than Oakland and San Jose.

Heaton29

Aug 9, 2005
I don't know if anyone has made this point before, I haven't seen it. But I think with the state of the league, and the shaking out of the new CBA, I don't know if any market right is attractive for expansion at this point - or even within the next 7-10 years.

I love the NHL like everyone else on here, but I have serious doubts that the league can sustain another franchise. The franchises we already have (even before the lockout) were struggling to develop a fan base - especially in places like Atlanta and Nashville.

Is it really fair to think that because of some rules changes (which I will reluctantly admit do make the league more exciting for casual fans) people will all of a sudden flock to the rinks? I just have trouble believing that is the case.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I totally off base here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad