Which city should get a team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerB 's

Jul 23, 2005
Which city, without an NHL team, should get one, or deserves to get one?

I'm thinking,

-Las Vegas

-Oakland, they did have the Golden Seals, and should get another team.

-Juneau or Anchorage (Alaska should be represented by some major sport, and hockey seems like a good fit, it is almost always cold and icy).

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
-Winnipeg
-Hartford
-Quebec City
-Hamilton
-Portland (great success with WHL team)
-Oakland (sure why not - give them one)

in that order. The first 3 I think are absolutely critical. All 3 deserve teams much more than many cities currently with teams.

KillerB 's

Jul 23, 2005
canucks666 said:
-Winnipeg
-Hartford
-Quebec City
-Hamilton

in that order. The first 3 I think are absolutely critical. All 3 deserve teams much more than many cities currently with teams.

I agree with your top three...I forgot about them...oops... :dunno: Also any city that had a team that doesn't anymore should get one...like your top three.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Oakland has a team. They are called the Sharks..
Enough of who should get a team, it should be, who shouldn't have a team anymore..... Quit trying to fill America up with hockey teams, when high school football is more popular in the majority of the markets... The only cities that should be considered for NHL teams are Canadian. Winnipeg, Quebec and Hamilton(who cares about territorial rights, they can support a team).
Kansas City. Give me a break. Las Vegas. Whatever....

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
I remember the Nordiques somewhat but I'm to young to have been able to hate them. As a (selfish :D )Canadiens fan, I want to see a team in Quebec city. My old man grew up when the Leafs and Habs hooked up 14 times a year but sats he never ever hated a team like he hated the Nordiques.

I want to experience a rivalry like that.

I'd like to see Winnipeg get a team back too. They've got a new rink, hopefully it happens one day.

I can't speculate on any US markets, because I don't know enough about them. But I'm glad that a wrong was righted with the Wild coming to Minnesota. :)

KillerB 's

Jul 23, 2005
tangible_faith said:
Oakland has a team. They are called the Sharks..
Enough of who should get a team, it should be, who shouldn't have a team anymore..... Quit trying to fill America up with hockey teams, when high school football is more popular in the majority of the markets... The only cities that should be considered for NHL teams are Canadian. Winnipeg, Quebec and Hamilton(who cares about territorial rights, they can support a team).
Kansas City. Give me a break. Las Vegas. Whatever....

The Sharks are from San Jose.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
KillerB 's said:
Which city, without an NHL team, should get one, or deserves to get one?

I'm thinking,

-Las Vegas

-Oakland, they did have the Golden Seals, and should get another team.

-Juneau or Anchorage (Alaska should be represented by some major sport, and hockey seems like a good fit, it is almost always cold and icy).
Juneau. It is a city of what 20,000 people with no major highways and no major city within a days drive. That is ridiculous. Why not just put a team in Kenora Ontario? Anchorage doesn't have the population and for one is way to far away. If you are going to go that far, why not just put a team in Russia....

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
canucks666 said:
-Winnipeg
-Hartford
-Quebec City
-Hamilton

So....name cities.

Oakland won't get another team - there's already one in San Jose.
Hartford struggled to support the Whalers, good or bad. They won't get one soon.

Quebec City absolutely deserves another shot - the fans bailed after the Nordiques stunk for most of the last 10 years. Give them a franchise that's stable and decent, the fans will turn out.

Hamilton is stuck with Toronto, Buffalo and Ottawa close.

I've always been surprised that Portland or Seattle are never mentioned at the top of the list of cities considered prime spots to move a team to...but when you look at the Seahawks and Mariners and how they struggled for years, I think an owner would be hesitant to move a team there and hope the fan base solidifies quickly - they'll remember years of 20-25,000 crowds at the 55,000-seat Kingdome and picture 10-12,000 fans at best in a hockey arena.

Winnipeg is probably the #2 choice in Canada after Quebec City...meaning they'll likely be waiting for a while.

Alaska (~375,000 people in the entire state - maybe 100,000 in Anchorage if that) simply does not have a big enough fan base to make a team viable there in the NHL - add in conditions in the winter and the simple travel logistics and there's no way a team goes there. And if you thought the ice was bad in Florida, it would be slush at best in Las Vegas.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Houston
New Orleans
Portland
Seattle
Salt Lake City
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Louisville
Indianapolis
Baltimore
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Mexico City
San Diego
Jacksonville

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
KillerB 's said:
Portland, yes

What about Seattle. I still think a team should go to Alaska.
Why? Just because a place is cold doesn't guarantee them a spot in the NHL

Lionheart

Jul 20, 2005
Ottawa
Seattle and Portland should be first on the list if any team decides to move. Winnipeg and KC would fall in the next tier, imo

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Unholy Diver said:
Houston
New Orleans
Portland
Seattle
Salt Lake City
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Louisville
Indianapolis
Baltimore
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Mexico City
San Diego
Jacksonville
You're crazy.....Did you just pick up an atlas and name cities...

KillerB 's

Jul 23, 2005
tangible_faith said:
Look at a map of the Bay area...Maybe take a lesson in Geography before you decide on where to put an NHL team

I understand that San Jose is very close to Oakland. What about the Rangers and Islanders, their closer than Oakland and San Jose. From NYC to Uniondale, Long Island is 28.42 miles. From Oakland to San Jose is 41.08 miles.
I'm saying that citys that used to have teams should get one back.

Last edited:

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Some comments on the list of cities:

Houston - they could care less about hockey
New Orleans - they care less than Houston
Portland - great city for hockey but can they support a big league team?
Seattle - a very possible location for a new team
Salt Lake City - what the hell do Mormons know about hockey?
Cleveland or Cincinnati - the state of Ohio already has Columbus, that's more than enough
Louisville - they'd only care if horses wear skates
Indianapolis - they'd only care if cars wear skates
Baltimore - they can drive to DC
San Antonio - they remember the Alamo, and little else
Las Vegas - great if you're planning to include gambling in the sport or if you want to have all 40 players on the ice at the same time (I'm All In)
Mexico City - too stupid to even comment on
San Diego - the top choice IMO
Jacksonville - you want another money losing franchise in Fla?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
KillerB 's said:
I understand that San Jose is very close to Oakland. What about the Rangers and Islanders, their closer than Oakland and san Jose. From NYC to Uniondale, Long Island is 28.42 miles. From Oakland to San Jose is 41.08 miles.
Why give them another chance? If there is any metro/populated area that gets another team it is Toronto. Besides The Bay area isn't a hockey market. It is one of the most populated areas in the country but those are only numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Draftman said:
Some comments on the list of cities:

Houston - they could care less about hockey
New Orleans - they care less than Houston
Portland - great city for hockey but can they support a big league team?
Seattle - a very possible location for a new team
Salt Lake City - what the hell do Mormons know about hockey?
Cleveland or Cincinnati - the state of Ohio already has Columbus, that's more than enough
Louisville - they'd only care if horses wear skates
Indianapolis - they'd only care if cars wear skates
Baltimore - they can drive to DC
San Antonio - they remember the Alamo, and little else
Las Vegas - great if you're planning to include gambling in the sport or if you want to have all 40 players on the ice at the same time (I'm All In)
Mexico City - too stupid to even comment on
San Diego - the top choice IMO
Jacksonville - you want another money losing franchise in Fla?
I concur with everything except San Diego.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Unholy Diver said:
nope just the first few that came to mind that could support a team

forgot Kansas City, they should be in there too
Why would those cities support a team.....? Any reasons?

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
KillerB 's said:
What must be answered is why they lost their team in the first place, and what's different now. Why go back where we failed before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad