Which city has potential to have 2 or more NHL teams

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
some will, some wont. there will be more than enough though to buy seasons and single game tickets, watch on TV, paint their faces, instagram babies in new swag ... to make someone an awful lot of money. southern ontario is a big place with lots of people with cars. no need to worry for us, we'll do ok.
How does painting gace and instragaming babies in new swag make them money? Merchandise sales are split league wide. If I paint my face to watch tonight's Rangers game or when I attend next sunday, does that add revenues to the Rangers?

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
How does painting gace and instragaming babies in new swag make them money? Merchandise sales are split league wide. If I paint my face to watch tonight's Rangers game or when I attend next sunday, does that add revenues to the Rangers?
ugh. it was a silly way of saying, "hockey fans in this area have been starving for another team, and they will go nuts, spends tons of money and watch games". the GTA2 market is a gold mine for a second nhl franchise, surely you are not suggesting otherwise? do you think GTA2 tix will be discount priced or something? how HRR revenues get divided is a different issue. vegas and winnipeg each made a lot of money selling jerseys and yes, so too did other teams, so what?

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Only Toronto. Although what would the fanbase look like? Would fans really abandon the Leafs? For it to work I think a new Toronto team would have to be in the Western Conference.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018

Fan Experience. Actually, that's one aspect of the fan experience as it adds much flavor to the fan experience/fan atmosphere at games, which might in turn create repeat customers. The "fan experience" thing encompasses many facets, but creating a fun atmosphere of more intense fans (those willing to paint their faces) does indeed add to all of that. That's what teams want.

Weekend matinee Ranger games at MSG Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon/evening has historically had a much more of a family feel vs. the corporate feel you get weekday nights, with the corporate crowd in suits, sitting in what was called the "Amtrak Acela Express Seating" business section (and whatever it has been changed to now) and seemingly being quiet and disinterested. There is definitely a difference.

For teams with historic attendance problems like the NJD and teams with current new arena plan situations like the NYI, atmosphere is extremely important. Believe it or not, face painting and Instagraming is only part of it and important enough.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
ugh. it was a silly way of saying, "hockey fans in this area have been starving for another team, and they will go nuts, spends tons of money and watch games". the GTA2 market is a gold mine for a second nhl franchise, surely you are not suggesting otherwise? do you think GTA2 tix will be discount priced or something? how HRR revenues get divided is a different issue. vegas and winnipeg each made a lot of money selling jerseys and yes, so too did other teams, so what?
Again, approximately how many will jump from the leafs? Don't even need an exact number, what percentage will jump from the Leafs? Especially now that the Leafs finally have a good young team after years of being terrible? Starving for a 2nd team so they can have a local rivalry similar to Rangers-Isles or Rangers-Devils or starving for a 2nd team so they can abandon the Leafs? Big difference. If the Isles or Devils ever moved from this area, I would be one who would love for someone with deep pockets to come to the area and bring the team back. Not because I would jump from the Rangers, but because I would want another local rival to hate.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Fan Experience. Actually, that's one aspect of the fan experience as it adds much flavor to the fan experience/fan atmosphere at games, which might in turn create repeat customers. The "fan experience" thing encompasses many facets, but creating a fun atmosphere of more intense fans (those willing to paint their faces) does indeed add to all of that. That's what teams want.

Weekend matinee Ranger games at MSG Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon/evening has historically had a much more of a family feel vs. the corporate feel you get weekday nights, with the corporate crowd in suits, sitting in what was called the "Amtrak Acela Express Seating" business section (and whatever it has been changed to now) and seemingly being quiet and disinterested. There is definitely a difference.

For teams with historic attendance problems like the NJD and teams with current new arena plan situations like the NYI, atmosphere is extremely important. Believe it or not, face painting and Instagraming is only part of it and important enough.
Gotchya, face painting will help the team instantaneously be a top-5 revenue generator. If the Devils offered free face painting at games, would that help them sell tickets?

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Are you being willfully obtuse or just plain annoying? The point is that, in a market as large as southern Ontario, where hockey is by far the most popular sport, a second team is likely to get enough fans to generate major revenue, even if that team has a smaller fan base than the Leafs. The comparison is that the Leafs, with their sky-high prices, are a corporate feeling team, while a second team can be marketed as the team for the middle class and families, the type that draws the fewer, yet passionate types that paint their faces. Just as one sees with the Rangers vs the Devils or Islanders.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, the market is large. Yes, hockey is the most popular sport. However, it does not mean a 2nd team will instantaneously be a top-5 revenue generator. Face painting and instagram remarks were just ridiculous. Especially when the teams you are using in your post are not even close to the top-5. The point is, it is not as simple as just saying that it is a large market and a lot of hockey fans when you already have an established team in the market. To be a top-5 revenue generator, they will NEED corporate support. Families attending won't get it done. Corporate support is not just in terms of tickets.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Toronto loves hockey, and though a second team may take a while to find it's niche, the Leaf overflow would carry them initially. And in a world class city, I can't see corporate sponsors not lining up.

London loves EPl Football. Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, and Fulham are all in London. Watford is just outside of London. 7 out of 20 teams.

I see no way a second NHL team wouldn't be a huge success in The GTA.

Granted it's not easy, as they'd have to pay off The Leafs.

Local Derby's are sweet. Manchester United v Manchester City, Everton v Liverpool, Celtic v Rangers....

Perhaps it makes too much sense as a sports rivalry to happen...

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Toronto loves hockey, and though a second team may take a while to find it's niche, the Leaf overflow would carry them initially. And in a world class city, I can't see corporate sponsors not lining up.

London loves EPl Football. Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, and Fulham are all in London. Watford is just outside of London. 7 out of 20 teams.

Local Derby's are sweet. Manchester United v Manchester City, Everton v Liverpool, Celtic v Rangers....

Comparing soccer teams in Europe to hockey teams here is a bad analogy.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Of those 7 teams based in or just outside of London, how long have they been around?

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
Gotchya, face painting will help the team instantaneously be a top-5 revenue generator. If the Devils offered free face painting at games, would that help them sell tickets?
Yes, the market is large. Yes, hockey is the most popular sport. However, it does not mean a 2nd team will instantaneously be a top-5 revenue generator. Face painting and instagram remarks were just ridiculous. Especially when the teams you are using in your post are not even close to the top-5. The point is, it is not as simple as just saying that it is a large market and a lot of hockey fans when you already have an established team in the market. To be a top-5 revenue generator, they will NEED corporate support. Families attending won't get it done. Corporate support is not just in terms of tickets.

"corporate support" needs the arena/fan experience more than families do, in relation to selling extremely expensive box & club seats, luxury suites etc. That's plain common sense.

It's a simple concept. You're overthinking everything and being too literal & silly. Not that difficult a concept to grasp.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
"corporate support" needs the arena/fan experience more than families do, in relation to selling extremely expensive box & club seats, luxury suites etc. That's plain common sense.

It's a simple concept. You're overthinking everything and being too literal & silly. Not that difficult a concept to grasp.
I am not overthinking anything. I have agreed there are a lot of hockey fans in toronto and the surrounding area. Probably more than any area in North America. I agree it is a market that could support two teams. I question that it will "immediately be a top-5 revenue team as someone earlier stated. I question if they will ever be more than a 2nd fiddle to the Leafs in that market. I also doubt there will be many Leafs fans (relatively speaking) who jump over to the new team. I would say the same thing about a 2nd team in Montreal or Vancouver. Not a knock on the market, but because they already have teams that own the city in terms of hockey. Oh, and we can find people painting their faces for every game. We can find people posting pics of themselves on instagram wearing "swag" of any team. Doesn't make them top-5 in terms of revenues.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
yes, of course they were, doh ... which is why it's unfortunate that you took them literally.

you seem unwilling or unable to understand the rather obvious point that myself and others here are making ... there's plenty of fans, corporate support, media, money to make BOTH the Leafs and GTA2 very, very successful. your insistence on a zero-sum support base is what's ridiculous.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Not sure why people don't understand this concept and mistakenly always say "NYC really has 0 teams", when they have 2, and they happen to play nearby in NJ.
I alluded to that in a tongue-in-cheek comment that should have highlighted that neither team actually plays in New York City or even the state of New York; both the Jets and Giants play over in New Jersey and have since '84. I didn't think a full explanation was going to be needed.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Toronto has Blue Jays, Raptors and Argos that has to share the corporate dollars with Maple Leafs. While I am sure they all do well there isn't an infinite corporate money even in GTA.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Toronto has Blue Jays, Raptors and Argos that has to share the corporate dollars with Maple Leafs. While I am sure they all do well there isn't an infinite corporate money even in GTA.
I’m not sure how well The Argos do for corporate support but as far as Fan support... there are many high school football teams in the States that outdraw the Argos.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
1. NYC (already have two)
2. LA (already have two)
3. Toronto
4. Montreal

Only four cities that could support two teams. However, with the history of the Leafs and Habs it would be very hard to create a fanbase in either of these cities.

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
I alluded to that in a tongue-in-cheek comment that should have highlighted that neither team actually plays in New York City or even the state of New York; both the Jets and Giants play over in New Jersey and have since '84. I didn't think a full explanation was going to be needed.

Almost everybody knows the Giants and Jets play in NJ. Even many with only a passing interest in sports.

Not sure why people need to make the comment that neither team plays in the City or State of New York. They are New York City teams that just so happen to play in NJ, just 7 miles from Times Square, Madison Square Garden or most Manhattan tourist or famous landmarks, all due to just a unique quirk in geography.

And still not sure what this has to do with a city or NHL location having or being able to support 2 NHL teams.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Not sure why people need to make the comment that neither team plays in the City or State of New York.
Because it's a major deal to some, especially the geographically challenged.

And still not sure what this has to do with a city or NHL location having or being able to support 2 NHL teams.
It has to do with what's considered the "New York City" market and that some people think anything in New Jersey isn't part of it because "it's all the way over in another state."

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
1. NYC (already have two)
2. LA (already have two)
3. Toronto
4. Montreal

Only four cities that could support two teams. However, with the history of the Leafs and Habs it would be very hard to create a fanbase in either of these cities.
I would add Chicago as a hypothetical could, but that it's an uphill climb for reasons noted by others. Circa 1999, it would have been a much easier setup because of fan anger at Wirtz and the general decline of the Blackhawks the next several years.

Reactions: smitty10

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
However, with the history of the Leafs and Habs it would be very hard to create a fanbase in either of these cities.

The game is much more global, as it was before. With many online media options, you can support a team on another continent. Then you have much more "imigrants" today, as it was 20 years ago. ANd i dont point to people from South America or Africa. I mean, there is much bigger fluctuation from Europe and also in North America. They dont have any real connections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad