Which career has been the biggest "what if" in NHL History?

Who is the biggest 'what if' in NHL history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
There have been plenty of career which have left you wondering, "what if" this player never suffered from or did this and this.

IMO, I'd have to say Mario. When healthy, he was neck-to-neck with peak Gretzky and was even ahead of Wayne in career PPG until he came out of retirement at age 36 during the clutch and grab era. And even then, Lemieux still dominated and ended his career at 1.88 PPG which is still only 0.04 lower than Gretzky's.

I can totally see an argument for some of the others on this list as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm actually going to say Lindros. With the others, injuries certainly took away some of their best years, but with Lindros is almost like we never even saw what he could do at his peak. The most games he played in a full season (during his peak years) was 73 games. He was constantly missing 20+ games per season during what should have been his best years. The others, we got to see at their best for a handful of healthy seasons.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
So many good options but have to lean towards Orr. Imagine if he had Lidstrom it Borques health.

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
Orr for sure; he would have been 31-32 when Gretzky came into the league so still around his prime. We missed 2 legends lining up against each other.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
All interesting choices. Subjectively I went with Jagr, although objectively I don't think it's the biggest what if.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Good poll.

Voted Orr because of the reasons @bert mentioned, but at least Lindros & Mario have a case.

Only one that I would remove from this list is Jagr, because the only thing he could have gained by not going to KHL is NHL games played record & some stat padding. In case of others we are talking about >30% increase in production without the mentioned problems.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Orr's knees didnt give out he'd of won at least 12 straight Norris'

For me the thing with Lindros is even when he played close to a full season he didnt exactly dominate the competition. He was 6th in scoring.

His concussions also could have been avoidable but whatever he still made it to the HHOF.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
All good choices so far, I lean towards Orr myself. Honorable mention might end up going to McDavid depending how much of his career gets wasted in EDM.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted Lemieux but i assume its overall health (including back issues) and not just cancer

Orr is a close second

Its diffferent. With Orr we saw him at his best for full seasons and it was great....and then he had to leave. The "what if" is likely more of the same - but for how many more years its the question. Not necessarily as intriguing a question as with Lemieux

Lemieux really only hit his peak ability around 89. And for the next 7 years he was plagued with health issues. Even in seasons where he played a lot he was nowhere near 100% with chronic back pain. To me the "what if" is more interresting as i wonder which single season offensive records he would have been able to beat if he was at 100% capacity during those years

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Probably Orr. Where the other guys continued playing at a reasonable level, Orr never played more than 20 games after age 27, coming off a 135 point season.

His career numbers are already staggering, but he could have put up records as untouchable as Gretzky's for a defenseman.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Orr had 8 Norris trophies at TWENTY SIX YEARS OLD and then played 36 games over 3 years before calling it quits. With knees that probably would have been repaired in an offseason today.

Orr could have still been in the league the entirety of Gretzky's career in Edmonton. How different would the league have been with both those guys running around!

Reactions: Pay Carl

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Voted for Orr. Would've been something to watch his prime through the 70s.

Lemieux is a close second.

Another 'what-if' is Gretzky not being traded. Oilers had some success after he left, but I wonder if keeping Gretzky would've meant keeping the rest of the core together and dominating the 90s.

Reactions: MC2D

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It's so obviously either Orr or Mario. For Mario though it is a bunch of other stuff + cancer.

I would have to go with Mario just because I think he would have come close to Wayne in terms of goals and points. The DPE would have ensured he couldn't pass him.

EDIT, i can't not think of Orr after hitting send. I'm just going to call it 50/50

Last edited:

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Orr then Mario. Those were two top 5 in history guys who retired/lost seasons in their primes when they were undisputably the best player in the league. I suppose you could argue Gretzky was better than Mario at the time, but that is a different poll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad