NBA Which career has been the biggest "what if" in NBA History?

Who is the biggest 'what if' in NBA history?

• What if Tmac stayed healthy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What if Bird never had chronic back pain

• What if Dwight Howard remained healthy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Gotta go with Len Bias. When both Red Auerbach and Larry Bird say that this guy was destined to be the next Celtics legend it makes what happened even more sad. :(

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Magic + T mac had their hall of fame cases sowed up before the injury's/illness came, so i don't think there was much more we would have seen.

Rose hit his peak before the knee injury, so while I don't know if he'd win another MVP he likely lost out on more All-NBA teams, maybe a scoring title.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gotta go with Len Bias. When both Red Auerbach and Larry Bird say that this guy was destined to be the next Celtics legend it makes what happened even more sad. :(

Ok but to be fair one was his GM, one was his future team mate.

So I am sure their opinions are a little tainted, but Bias did have a lot of potential.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Rose was always bound to kill his knees. He always played like a kangaroo and his knees took severe beatings every night.

EDIT: Of course, BostonBob with the homer vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Ok but to be fair one was his GM, one was his future team mate.

So I am sure their opinions are a little tainted, but Bias did have a lot of potential.

Well sure - as is my opinion. But a lot of NBA " experts " were saying that at that time Bias had skill set to dominate the league. The other reason I picked him is that at least all the other options listed had players that actually played in the NBA for a certain amount of time but we never got a chance to see Bias play a single second. :banghead:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Wow. 6 out of 10 votes. Congrats.

Everyone knows you're a massive homer. Celtics can do no wrong in your world.

Of course I'm a Celtics homer just like everybody else here ( including you ) is a " homer " when it comes to their team of choice. But I guess everybody else ( including you ) can slurp on their favourite teams and that's perfectly OK. :clap:

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Magic + T mac had their hall of fame cases sowed up before the injury's/illness came, so i don't think there was much more we would have seen.

Rose hit his peak before the knee injury, so while I don't know if he'd win another MVP he likely lost out on more All-NBA teams, maybe a scoring title.
A good What if is what if t mac stayed with the raptors and did not have to carry a magic team with a frequently injured grant hill.

Reactions: Neutrinos

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
A couple more good " what if " options:

- Reggie Lewis dying of a heart attack at the age of 27 ( yeah I know - another homer pick. ) :laugh:
- Drazen Petrovic killed in a car accident at the age of 28

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
A good What if is what if t mac stayed with the raptors and did not have to carry a magic team with a frequently injured grant hill.

What if Doc Rivers allowed TD's family to be on the team plane? TD would've signed with the Magic and even with Hill and his injuries, the T-Mac-TD duo would've at least made the Finals.

Reactions: Voight

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Thought of a few more " what if " scenarios:

- what if the ABA never happened and guys like Dr.J played their whole careers in the NBA ????
- what if Bill Walton never had any knee problems ???? How many titles would Portland have won during the late 70's and early 80's ????
- and then there's a bunch when it comes to trades and drafts: what if Charlotte never traded Kobe Bryant to LA, what if Detroit drafted Carmelo, Bosh or Wade instead of Darko Milicic, what if Portland drafted Jordan instead of Bowie, what if OKC kept Harden over Westbrook or Durant or even kept all 3 players, what if Shaq stayed in Orlando, what if Shaq stayed in LA, what if Kareem stayed in Milwaukee and what if David Stern didn't veto the Chris Paul trade to LA ????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad