Which Canucks lineup do you take?

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Canucks management seem to feel that they are in win-now mode, while the Sedins are around. So to play Devil's advocate, I put together 2 teams. The first is basically the current lineup. The second is a team that we could have currently, if the trades had not been made and certain players had not been let go.

(I realize there was probably no way to keep Hodgson, but play along anyways.)

Which team is better now and which is better going forward?

Team A

Daniel Henrik Burrows
Booth Kesler Hansen
Higgins Horvat* Kassian
Sestito Richardson Weise

[Current Defense]

Luongo
Lack

*can substitute with Schroeder

Team B

Daniel Henrik Burrows
Booth Kesler Hansen
Higgins Hodgson Torres
Sestito Lapierre Weise

[Current Defense]

Schneider
Lack

(Luongo bought out)

Lundface*

Canucks management seem to feel that they are in win-now mode, while the Sedins are around. So to play Devil's advocate, I put together 2 teams. The first is basically the current lineup. The second is a team that we could have currently, if the trades had not been made and certain players had not been let go.

(I realize there was probably no way to keep Hodgson, but play along anyways.)

Which team is better now and which is better going forward?

Team A

Daniel Henrik Burrows
Booth Kesler Hansen
Higgins Horvat* Kassian
Sestito Richardson Weise

[Current Defense]

Luongo
Lack

*can substitute with Schroeder

Team B

Daniel Henrik Burrows
Booth Kesler Hansen
Higgins Hodgson Torres
Sestito Lapierre Weise

[Current Defense]

Schneider
Lack

(Luongo bought out)

Team A is better upfront for the future, but team B has Schneider in net so it would be better now. It's all unrealistic anyways, since Loungo couldn't be traded/bought out.
I'd much rather have Horvat/Kassian than Hodgson. Horvat/Kassian represent what this team wants to become, if they pan out the future looks bright

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think the second one would work cap wise because of what Torres makes and what Hodgson will probably make.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011

Hmmm.. With the trades Gillis has been making I thought he was aiming for lose-now mode. He has certainly been executing that way the last two seasons.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Team A is better upfront for the future, but team B has Schneider in net so it would be better now.
That's the main thing I was wondering... if we're in win-now, would Schneider be better than Luongo?
It's all unrealistic anyways, since Loungo couldn't be traded/bought out.
We could've used 1 of our 2 amnesty buy-outs on him, couldn't we?

I'd much rather have Horvat/Kassian than Hodgson. Horvat/Kassian represent what this team wants to become, if they pan out the future looks bright
Agreed on all points. If they pan out, it could be pretty amazing.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Cannot vote due to my impressive accumulation of recent infractions so....

B for now
A for the future

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
So basically veto'd a trade done 2 year ago (or 2 seasons, a bit over a year) and switch the goalie situation? A lot has happened between then and now (on top of moves that might or might not have been made due to Hodgson's move, signing/non-signings/etc due to that move, etc).

Team B would be better now, Team A might be better in 2 years when someone brings this poll up again... :laugh: Tho there is a question on how Hodgson's development might have changed if he was still here (i.e. would he get better defensively due to it being required or he doesn't get minutes, would his offensive game suffer, etc).

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
That's the main thing I was wondering... if we're in win-now, would Schneider be better than Luongo?

We could've used 1 of our 2 amnesty buy-outs on him, couldn't we?

Agreed on all points. If they pan out, it could be pretty amazing.

A poor use of both asset and financial management. I think for the next 2~3 years Luongo = Schneider. Perhaps a slight edge to Schneider. Certainly not large enough a gap to lose an quality asset for nothing.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
So basically veto'd a trade done 2 year ago (or 2 seasons, a bit over a year) and switch the goalie situation? A lot has happened between then and now (on top of moves that might or might not have been made due to Hodgson's move, signing/non-signings/etc due to that move, etc).

Team B would be better now, Team A might be better in 2 years when someone brings this poll up again... :laugh: Tho there is a question on how Hodgson's development might have changed if he was still here (i.e. would he get better defensively due to it being required or he doesn't get minutes, would his offensive game suffer, etc).

Good points, especially the bolded - I think it's a guarantee that if he'd stayed, he wouldn't have gotten the minutes, nor the linemates, nor the pp time that he got in Buffalo, and he wouldn't have close to the points he put up there.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think the second one would work cap wise because of what Torres makes and what Hodgson will probably make.

This. Even if we run with a 22-man roster and keep Corrado up as our #7 dman (unlikely), the most we could pay Cody is 3m (he'll likely want more).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Cody Hodgson ($3.051m) / Raffi Torres ($2.000m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.800m)
Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Yannick Weber ($0.650m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: Roberto Luongo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $0

Last edited:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
both lineups are flawed. Horvat is not ready to be a 3rd line center and Mr. Hodgson will have none of Cody on a 3rd line.

King of the ES*

Team B is very, very obviously better now. And they're probably better for the future, too, given that they have Schneider.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
How about C?

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Raffi Torres ($2.000m)
Dale Weise ($0.677m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
Yannick Weber ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,585,944; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $876,556

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad