Which Candidate Would be Best for AZ?

Which is the Best Candidate for Arizona Head Coach

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Coyotes are rumored to have contacted and/or interviewed these five coaches remotely and/or in-person at least one or two times (depending on the candidate).

Which do you think would be the best candidate for Arizona to hire?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I want Nelson but would be thrilled with Groulx or MVR. Don't know much about the other 2.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Groulx
Nelson
Tourigny
MVR
Leech

Groulx has skyrocketed for me. I think a braintrust of him, Plandowski and BA is potentially a special group that could change this into a franchise built around winning, much like Tampa.

rt

May 13, 2004
Groulx
Nelson
Tourigny
MVR
Leech

Groulx has skyrocketed for me. I think a braintrust of him, Plandowski and BA is potentially a special group that could change this into a franchise built around winning, much like Tampa.
I'm tempted to put Groulx ahead of Nelson, but Nelson has so much more NHL experience. Only 46 games as a head coach, but he also has five seasons as an assistant coach. Groulx, on the other hand, has never played a game in NHL or coached a game in the NHL. It's a total unknown for him. I think that keeps Nelson slightly ahead of Groulx in my rankings, but they're really, really close. Honestly, I don't have Tourigny far behind either.

I have MVR and Leach a good step below those three. And if Lambert ends up getting interviewed (seems likely), I'll have him a full step below Nelson/Groulx and Tourigny.

Where would you put Lambert?

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm tempted to put Groulx ahead of Nelson, but Nelson has so much more NHL experience. Only 46 games as a head coach, but he also has five seasons as an assistant coach. Groulx, on the other hand, has never played a game in NHL or coached a game in the NHL. It's a total unknown for him. I think that keeps Nelson slightly ahead of Groulx in my rankings, but they're really, really close. Honestly, I don't have Tourigny far behind either.

I have MVR and Leach a good step below those three. And if Lambert ends up getting interviewed (seems likely), I'll have him a full step below Nelson/Groulx and Tourigny.

Where would you put Lambert?
But then I re-read a bunch of the quotes from ex-players about Groulx and I want to put him back in 1st place again. It’s tough. I guess I have him tied with Nelson for 1st. Then I have Tourigny in 3rd place by himself.

Of the names in this thread, those are the three I would be most happy with.

I don’t care much for Lambert and I think it’s way too early for MVR and Leach. Both need more time, I think.

I noticed Leach got some votes in this poll. That surprises me. I’m wondering if some Leach voters can chime in and explain their view.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Nelson. Oilers were trending up with him. I'll never understand why he wasn't given more of a chance there.

Unfortunately, the Yotes may not be cup contenders for two or three more seasons. So Nelson will have it rough the first few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->