Which Canadian team is currently the best?

Best Canadian team?

• Total voters

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You mean it's not allowed to be both?,

Pasta cored the most points in one game against Anderson

I really dont know what you're trying to argue
Elite vs elite goaltending makes it wash
This would be like trying to pick at percentiles with rinne vs helle last year
They're both good. Useless trying to argue which is which
Both teams get the check mark for goaltending
Flames definitely do not
Pastrnak scoring on him doesn’t prove he was tired, though?

Fair enough, I thought we were handicapping. I guess I’m just not totally convinced Hellebuyck is an elite goalie yet.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Leafs absolutely tanked in 2016 and anyone who says otherwise is being willfully ignorant.

Leafs in 2015-16 had 15 more points than last place Buffalo the previous season, and 21 more points than Colorado(Last overall) the following season. They also paid 8 million per for an elite coach, and lost the most 1 goal games in the entire NHL.
If there is one team recently that did not tank, it's the Leafs.

Reactions: Rob Brown

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They traded away players to ensure they woukdnt make it to the playoffs
They placed last and got first over all lol
You keep telling yourself the leafs didnt tank

So any team that finishes last tanked? And what team doesn't trade players?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Pastrnak scoring on him doesn’t prove he was tired, though?

Fair enough, I thought we were handicapping. I guess I’m just not totally convinced Hellebuyck is an elite goalie yet.

Helle has been elite in respective leagues all the way to becoming a vezina finalist

Reactions: Snowman

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Helle has been elite in respective leagues all the way to becoming a vezina finalist
Consistently is important, though. You have to admit it’s a little concerning, given that we know how volatile goaltending can be?

There’s a handful of guys who do it year after year and I’m not sure I’m putting Hellebuyck there yet. I think Freddy Andersen has only just now established himself in that group as elite. He’s had bad October’s his first two years in Toronto, and he also had a stretch near the all star break in his first season where he was pretty bad... but since the first month of last season he’s been a top 5 goalie.

Offense - Leafs > Jets
Defense - Leafs << Jets
Goaltending - Leafs > Jets

I’m not sure I’m prepared to say either team is clearly better but I would love to see this Stanley Cup final in the next few years. That, we can agree on.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Consistently is important, though. You have to admit it’s a little concerning, given that we know how volatile goaltending can be?

There’s a handful of guys who do it year after year and I’m not sure I’m putting Hellebuyck there yet. I think Freddy Andersen has only just now established himself in that group as elite. He’s had bad October’s his first two years in Toronto, and he also had a stretch near the all star break in his first season where he was pretty bad... but since the first month of last season he’s been a top 5 goalie.

Offense - Leafs > Jets
Defense - Leafs << Jets
Goaltending - Leafs > Jets

I’m not sure I’m prepared to say either team is clearly better but I would love to see this Stanley Cup final in the next few years. That, we can agree on.

I disagree
Leafs may be better down the middle offensively(stopping at the 3rd line)
But that's it

I'll take jets wingers over leafs

Forwards jets and leafs can be a wash
Defense easily jets

Goaltending is a wash giving the edge to Anderson tho

Leafs dont fool me with they're regular season antics
Winnipeg has a better win/loss with injuries

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Isn't it great you say that yet out of the 3 teams, the Leafs have the lowest GA.
Thats a pretty weak argument since the Leafs have also played the fewer games. In 51 games the Leafs have allowed 145 goals. In 52 games the Jets have allowed 146 goals. In a goals per game played the Jets are ahead of the Leafs (2.807 vs 2.843)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
People who say the leafs willfully tanked in 2016 are willfully ignorant. Maybe do some research first.
I did some research...
For many teams, finishing dead last in the standings would not be cause for happiness. They would be disappointed and left to lament what exactly went wrong throughout their 82-game schedule. This would be the case for most teams. However, what if finishing last overall was the goal? Cue the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Maple Leafs had no expectations this coming season. It was to be a campaign of change and pain in order to grow and build a prosperous winner for the future. Their goal was to shed some contracts, acquire prospects and picks, and to finish last, which would secure them the best odds of winning the lottery and picking first overall. In the following paragraphs, I’m going to explain exactly how they check off each point on their wish list.

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-news-the-art-of-the-perfect-tank/

Reactions: Peggy

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Thats a pretty weak argument since the Leafs have also played the fewer games. In 51 games the Leafs have allowed 145 goals. In 52 games the Jets have allowed 146 goals. In a goals per game played the Jets are ahead of the Leafs (2.807 vs 2.843)
That’s also kind of weak because Andersen missed a month and neither Garrett Sparks or Michael Hutchinson are very capable NHL goalies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That Leafs team finished 21 points ahead of the Avs the next season. 21.
What does that article prove?
It proves that during the 2015-2016 season the Leafs achieved the perfect tank. You asked us to do some research... I did what you asked. What the Leafs did the next season has nothing to do with what their achievements in 2015-2016.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That’s also kind of weak because Andersen missed a month and neither Garrett Sparks or Michael Hutchinson are very capable NHL goalies.
And Hellybuyck hasn't exactly been spectacular either.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And Hellybuyck hasn't exactly been spectacular either.
That’s kind of my point. I think the Leafs have the edge in net despite the fact their backup is far inferior. I don’t see backups as much of a factor here when both teams will be judged in the playoffs where neither is likely to play.

For me, the goaltending is all about Andersen vs Hellebuyck.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It proves that during the 2015-2016 season the Leafs achieved the perfect tank. You asked us to do some research... I did what you asked. What the Leafs did the next season has nothing to do with what their achievements in 2015-2016.

So a team that hires an elite coach and spends 8 million is tanking? Why did they have better stats than any other last placed team?
Compare them to anyone. They were better. Better record, better goal diff.

And to be clear I was saying Colorado finished last the next season with 21 less points than the Leafs did in 2015-16

Are you aware of this? Did Colorado tank?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
A team that wants to compete after their tank season?

Coaches don't actually play hockey, you know that right?
But an elite coach can ruin any chance of a top pick. It came very, very close to happening with the Leafs. Over 20 1 goal losses in 2015-16.

Bottom line, if you look at the numbers, if Toronto "Tanked", every team that's ever finished last tanked.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
There's a difference between trading your best player and being the team that just happens to finish last, even if you are too obtuse or disingenuous to admit it

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There's a difference between trading your best player and being the team that just happens to finish last, even if you are too obtuse or disingenuous to admit it
So did Buffalo and Arizona tank in 2014-15? Colorado in 16-17?

Did you know that in 2015-16 the Leafs actually had more points than they did the previous year when they finished with the 4th worst record?

In what world does trading your best player means you are tanking? Especially when you spend so much on an elite coach AND have more points and better goal diff. than the previous season when you had that best player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad