Which Canada/Russia moments do you remember most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here is my unofficial list of the greatest moments between these two teams. Which other countries boast this rivalry? Do you remember where you were, and which one is your favourite?

1972 - Paul Henderson and his heroics in Game 8 how can you forget it? That third period gives me chills when I watch it. Rod Gilbert's fight, Alan Eagleson's protest and Henderson's dramatic winner. Watch the tape and you'll see that Gary Bergman nearly scored with three minutes left in the game on a three on two. Henderson saved our bacon anyways.

1987 - The Canada Cup game 2, the most entertaining game you'll ever watch bar none. Krutov had brilliant chances to win it in OT nonetheless. Then Wayne and Mario come to the rescue.

1987 - Game 3 Canada Cup, Lemieux to Gretzky and the rest is history. The unsung heroes on that play are Hawerchuk and Murphy. For whatever reason Larry Murphy jumped into the play. Its funny every player on the ice for Canada is a HOFer (others are Bourque and Fuhr).

1981 - An embarrassment for sure. Mike Liut played like sin. But so did the rest of the team. Even Gretzky in that game. 8-1 thrashing sent us back to reality. There was no Orr or Espo to save us now. Let's face it that generation of Russians was due to break out eventually.

1987 - The WJC. The Piestany punch out! A classic bench clearing brawl for sure. Possible started on the ice by Theo Fleury, something he's never denied. But the Russians emptied their bench first and the rest is history.

1979 - Another embarrassment. In the third game of the Challenge Cup of Rusian star vs. NHL stars the Soviets thrash us 6-0. It was a very good NHL team as well, no slouches. I just can't picture why Cheevers was in net for the third game and not Dryden or even Tony Espo. Oh well.

1999 - WJC. I remember this one. This was supposed to be Canada's coming out party for us after the '98 disaster. We played a terrible game even in this gold medal game but then got to overtime before Chubarov ended it 3-2. Luongo despite losing put on a goaltending clinic.

1976 - Russia vs. Flyers. No other team had beaten the Russians in this trip they were taking across the NHL. Philly who had won the Cup twice before now used their typical intimidation to beat them 4-1.

1975 - New year's Eve. Some say the best game ever in a 3-3 draw between the Habs and the Soviets. Outshot 38-13 were the Russians, and funny thing is it was even worse in the Philly game.

1972 - Game 7. Its a 3-3 draw and a brawl breaks out behind the net. Bergman, Cournoyer and Espo are all in on it. Bergman got his leg kicked by Mikhailov and got his leg bloodied. After the dust had settled Henderson does an end to ender with two minutes left to ensure there is going to be the drama of an eighth game.

2002 - WJC. This one still irritates me. Canada had its best team at that time since '95. Spezza, Weiss, Nash, Bouwmeester etc. They had two two-goal leads and then blew it in the second. Medvedev of the Russians actually got pulled. What I hate about this game is that when it was 5-4 late in the third with the Canadians buzzing around the net with seconds left the Russian goalie sensing a goal coming on knocks the net off and the buzzer goes off. What drives me crazy is that he knew what he was doing and after the final buzzer went off he looked over at the ref to see if it was okay before celebrating. A lot of cursing happened that day by me.

1984 - Canada vs. Soviets semi final Canada Cup. At that time the Soviets were beating the tar out of us before this. A 6-3 round robin thrashing of us. Then the memory of '81 and '79 still fresh. But when a bunch of Oilers and Isles teamed up together to beat the common enemy it was magic. Coffey's break up of a two on one, Tonelli's grit, then Coffey's point shot tipped in by Bossy. Beauty. Great game.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Big Phil said:
1976 - Russia vs. Flyers. No other team had beaten the Russians in this trip they were taking across the NHL. Philly who had won the Cup twice before now used their typical intimidation to beat them 4-1.

1975 - New year's Eve. Some say the best game ever in a 3-3 draw between the Habs and the Soviets. Outshot 38-13 were the Russians, and funny thing is it was even worse in the Philly game.

Flyers beat the Soviets by outshooting them 49-13 :eek: . Shero was a big fan of Soviet hockey and probably knew more about them than any North American coach.

His game plan was not to forecheck, but to line-up 4 men across the blueline and dare the Russians to dump the puck in. The Soviets couldn't adapt, and the game was total domination, and cemented the Flyers position as the best team on the planet.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My most memorable Canada-Soviet moments would be:

Game 3 1987 Canada Cup

Game 2 1987 Canada Cup

Game 1 1987 Canada Cup

1979 Challange Cup (game 3)

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The second greatest hockey memory of my life is Coffey breaking up the 2 on 1 in 84 and heading up the ice. Paul took lots of knocks for his defence, but that play was indicative of how effectively he could turn danger into opportunity. That goal was the sweetest and I for one will never forget the excitement I felt. Thanks for the memory Paul. (Note to Mike Bossy: thanks for tipping the puck in)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
*1972. The greatest series in hockey history, which generated the single greatest moment in hockey history, and started the greatest feud in hockey history, and one of the great international rivalries in any sport. Soviets proved they belong, Henderson scores the winning goal in last three games. But what separates this series form anything else in hockey history is the political tensions - it was more than just hockey, it was a battle of ideologies, especially for the Soviets, who used sport to further their propoganda. Canada faced hostile fans in Russia, with nasty phone calls at 3 a.m. to their hotel. Who can forget Espo's post-Game 4 speech, or the blind goal judge in Game 8?

*1987. Likely the greatest hockey we've seen for many years. Canada, with a young team rife with future HHOF, faced off against a skilled Soviet team with many players at their peak. What more could a hockey fan ask for? Overtime? You had it. Double OT? You had it. A series winning goal in the final minute? Yep, you had it. Heart, emotion, and a genuine sense that it mattered.

*1991. The game that so few talk about. Canada vs. USSR in the unofficial gold medal game for the WJC. Lots of talent on both teams. Canada wins, they get gold. If they lose, they may not medal. Late in the game, John Slaney scores the winner on a point shot, capping off what was likely the greatest game in WJC history.

*1984. Paul Coffey proved that he was more than just a one-dimensional floater with one of the greatest defensive plays in hockey history, then raced down the ice and set up the overtime winner. One of the great plays by one of the game's greatest defencemen.

Of course, there are many other memories. The many great games between the NHL teams and the USSR teams in the late 70s and early 80s, back when those games meant something. The USSR's rope-a-dope in 1981. The classic 1986 WJC contest between the USSR and Canada. Canada and Russia have had some great battles, too.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
The second greatest hockey memory of my life is Coffey breaking up the 2 on 1 in 84 and heading up the ice. Paul took lots of knocks for his defence, but that play was indicative of how effectively he could turn danger into opportunity. That goal was the sweetest and I for one will never forget the excitement I felt. Thanks for the memory Paul. (Note to Mike Bossy: thanks for tipping the puck in)
That's one I won't forget. Didn't Russia tie up that game when Robinson got beat badly in his own end. I remember I didn't want Larry to have to wear that one if they lost. If you're old enough to have seen the Henderson goal live, nothing tops the emotion of that one, nothing even close.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
72 - No sporting event will ever approach that series for me. It was so much more than hockey. I was in grade 8 and I can rememebr us sitting in science class, at our desks, listening to the games over the pa system. What a great way to get out of that class! I still get a buzz off watching Henderson's series winning goal. At that time though, it was sheer ectasy. :)

75- The New Years Eve game - completely riveting, that was the night I became a Tretiak fan for life. The Habs dominated the game but VT was really on his game. Both teams considered it to be a match to see who was the best team in the world. But in any one game, a goaler can steal the show. Great end to end action though during the game.

76- the first Canada Cup- The Russians didn't bring all of their best players and the results showed. The round robin game was a good one but not on par with the 72 games. Rogie Vachon was great that entire tournament including that game.

87- Great series. The three final games were all max entertainment value. Lemieux and Gretzky playing together in their prime was tough to beat.

79 and 81 - Some great hockey but blowout games to end the series. Gerry Cheevers and Mike Liut would like to forget those games, I'm sure.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Bring Back Bucky said:

That was the most memorable moment that i've seen, especially being a huge Paul Coffey fan growing up. That was just a breath-taking play.

Also Mario and Wayne in 87, just amazing.

Obviously, I'm not old enough to have seen the 1972 series, if I was, that would probably be first.

HiLite

Jan 6, 2005
This year's WJC champsionship I thought, while not the greatest of games, produces two classic hockey images.

1 - Ovechkin crying. Not because I want to see him in tears, but I think it sums up the heart some of these guys put into playing for their country.

2 - The two Russians sitting on top of their overturned net. That was a classic.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
HiLite said:
This year's WJC champsionship I thought, while not the greatest of games, produces two classic hockey images.

1 - Ovechkin crying. Not because I want to see him in tears, but I think it sums up the heart some of these guys put into playing for their country.

2 - The two Russians sitting on top of their overturned net. That was a classic.

1. Ovechkin wasn't the only one crying, btw. By the looks of it, Malkin was pretty much bawling for about 5 minutes(A few other guys teared up pretty good as well). But hey, you often see crying in big games(just in case anyone says theres no crying in hockey)

2. The sitting on the net thing was cool-I thought that was only for little kids. But then again, those guys didn't look like they shaved yet.

Betcha Russia is the team to beat at the WJC next year ....

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Big Phil said:
Here is my unofficial list of the greatest moments between these two teams. Which other countries boast this rivalry? Do you remember where you were, and which one is your favourite?

1972 - Paul Henderson and his heroics in Game 8 how can you forget it? That third period gives me chills when I watch it. Rod Gilbert's fight, Alan Eagleson's protest and Henderson's dramatic winner. Watch the tape and you'll see that Gary Bergman nearly scored with three minutes left in the game on a three on two. Henderson saved our bacon anyways.

1987 - The Canada Cup game 2, the most entertaining game you'll ever watch bar none. Krutov had brilliant chances to win it in OT nonetheless. Then Wayne and Mario come to the rescue.

1987 - Game 3 Canada Cup, Lemieux to Gretzky and the rest is history. The unsung heroes on that play are Hawerchuk and Murphy. For whatever reason Larry Murphy jumped into the play. Its funny every player on the ice for Canada is a HOFer (others are Bourque and Fuhr).

1981 - An embarrassment for sure. Mike Liut played like sin. But so did the rest of the team. Even Gretzky in that game. 8-1 thrashing sent us back to reality. There was no Orr or Espo to save us now. Let's face it that generation of Russians was due to break out eventually.

1987 - The WJC. The Piestany punch out! A classic bench clearing brawl for sure. Possible started on the ice by Theo Fleury, something he's never denied. But the Russians emptied their bench first and the rest is history.

1979 - Another embarrassment. In the third game of the Challenge Cup of Rusian star vs. NHL stars the Soviets thrash us 6-0. It was a very good NHL team as well, no slouches. I just can't picture why Cheevers was in net for the third game and not Dryden or even Tony Espo. Oh well.

1999 - WJC. I remember this one. This was supposed to be Canada's coming out party for us after the '98 disaster. We played a terrible game even in this gold medal game but then got to overtime before Chubarov ended it 3-2. Luongo despite losing put on a goaltending clinic.

1972 - Game 7. Its a 3-3 draw and a brawl breaks out behind the net. Bergman, Cournoyer and Espo are all in on it. Bergman got his leg kicked by Mikhailov and got his leg bloodied. After the dust had settled Henderson does an end to ender with two minutes left to ensure there is going to be the drama of an eighth game.

2002 - WJC. This one still irritates me. Canada had its best team at that time since '95. Spezza, Weiss, Nash, Bouwmeester etc. They had two two-goal leads and then blew it in the second. Medvedev of the Russians actually got pulled. What I hate about this game is that when it was 5-4 late in the third with the Canadians buzzing around the net with seconds left the Russian goalie sensing a goal coming on knocks the net off and the buzzer goes off. What drives me crazy is that he knew what he was doing and after the final buzzer went off he looked over at the ref to see if it was okay before celebrating. A lot of cursing happened that day by me.

1984 - Canada vs. Soviets semi final Canada Cup. At that time the Soviets were beating the tar out of us before this. A 6-3 round robin thrashing of us. Then the memory of '81 and '79 still fresh. But when a bunch of Oilers and Isles teamed up together to beat the common enemy it was magic. Coffey's break up of a two on one, Tonelli's grit, then Coffey's point shot tipped in by Bossy. Beauty. Great game.

1972: Bobby Clarke intentionally breaks Valeri Kharlamov's leg. The Canadians pros are forced to admit that they are no longer the best.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
arnie said:
1972: Bobby Clarke intentionally breaks Valeri Kharlamov's leg. The Canadians pros are forced to admit that they are no longer the best.

#1. The Canadians won the series.

#2. Kharlamov played in Game 8

#3. The slash was so bad it didn't even knock Kharlamov of his skates.

#4. Mikhailov repeatedly kicking Gary Bergman was far worse than Clarke's slash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->