which C is on for the first shift this year ?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's meaningless and I imagine it's Tavares, new guys tend to start.
Unless it's Kadri as a match up.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Leafs with last change so Habs put out their top line to force Babs to put the Kadri line out first.

2nd shift Matthews (draws Habs shut-down crew)......

setting up the JT line to come out and feast as the crowd roars -- 1-0 Leafs JT from Marner :)
If Babcock line matches with this lineup......I'll be calling for his head. Pure stupidity. With a lineup like this, you take the reins and force other teams to match up with the Leafs, not the other way around. Other teams will be jumping for joy if Babcock tries to line match.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Babcock line matches with this lineup......I'll be calling for his head. Pure stupidity. With a lineup like this, you take the reins and force other teams to match up with the Leafs, not the other way around. Other teams will be jumping for joy if Babcock tries to line match.

I dont see Babcock using Kadri as a defensive matchup guy too much this season, I see Kadri putting up some really good numbers!

Reactions: Rogie and kb

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think this matters given that the Leafs will have the last change and get to see who Montreal will start prior to game time. It could be Tavares to get his first shift out of the way as soon as possible, but I don't see it as a big deal if he starts before Matthews line or Matthews line starts ahead of Tavares line.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

On the road he'll let the opposing coach try to match and he'll just roll 3 scoring lines creating a matchup nightmare.

At home he'll use the Kadri line as the shutdown unit and lines 1 and 2 will alternate decimating the 3rd lines of other teams.

God help the other team if they send out their 4th line in Toronto.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
On the road he'll let the opposing coach try to match and he'll just roll 3 scoring lines creating a matchup nightmare.

At home he'll use the Kadri line as the shutdown unit and lines 1 and 2 will alternate decimating the 3rd lines of other teams.

God help the other team if they send out their 4th line in Toronto.
I get that, but I just don't think it is absolutely necessary anymore. The days of Bozak and JVR needing to be massively sheltered are done. Each of the top 3 C's is a capable 2-way player, and each of the top-2 has a LW who can also handle shutdown duties. Run free and score at will! It's even more of a matchup nightmare for the opposing coaches without last change.

Agreed! I doubt you see too much of any teams 4th line in Toronto - which is another reason I want to simply see them roll the lines at home.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Probably Kadri for the matchup. Tavares first over the boards to get the jitters over with. Matthews next. By this point we're up 3-0, so I guess Lindholm can have a shift.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Babs is not dumb he knows the media. It will be Kadri first so that no story can be done either way.

That's exactly the answer and the reason. Just convenient Montreal starts their first line.

What if MTL starts their 2nd or 3rd line ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad