Speculation: Which Available Defenseman would YOU like to see the Jets pick up?

Pick the one D man YOU want for our playoff run

• Total voters

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Even though the opening assumption is that “most agree we need to bolster our defensive depth”, I’d like to see none of the above as an option.

That’s where I’d land, unless Chevy wants to get really creative and put a package together for someone like Karlsson only to auction him off at the draft to recoup assets. I’d be on board with something like that only because I think his value would be higher at the draft than at the deadline, which means there might be some arbitrage opportunity to exploit

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Even though the opening assumption is that “most agree we need to bolster our defensive depth”, I’d like to see none of the above as an option.

That’s where I’d land, unless Chevy wants to get really creative and put a package together for someone like Karlsson only to auction him off at the draft to recoup assets. I’d be on board with something like that only because I think his value would be higher at the draft than at the deadline, which means there might be some arbitrage opportunity to exploit
So, you are saying that you are happy with what we have at D, considering our injury risk?

Not saying your opinion is wrong at all, just wanted to confirm. I don't mind Poolman subbing in here, but below that I think we are in trouble, and we do have injury prone defensemen.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
So, you are saying that you are happy with what we have at D, considering our injury risk?

Not saying your opinion is wrong at all, just wanted to confirm. I don't mind Poolman subbing in here, but below that I think we are in trouble, and we do have injury prone defensemen.

I tend to think deadline acquisitions are rarely worth the price but I suppose it would depend on that price. If the question just amounts to “who is the best player we could add?” then I’m happy to vote, but I assume price matters or we’d all vote for the best player.

If I had a gun to my head, I’d pick the cheapest option just as a pure depth insurance policy. I have no interest in the prices being thrown around for guys like McDonagh.

I agree with you in that I’m comfortable with Poolman but it gets dicey after that.

With Trouba healthy, I don’t think this is too bad:
Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Myers
Enstrom - Byfuglien
Chiarot - Poolman

Two capable spares with a top 6 that has enough talent to provide some flexibility in case injury strikes. I think our results without Trouba show that even without arguably our #1D, the remaining players can shift up the lineup and not get exposed too badly.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I would like to see someone that would be above Chiarot in the depth chart but wouldn't take Enstroms spot. That way the cost is reasonable. I think Ian Cole fits that bill. I see no reason to change the top 6.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wonder what the cost of Hutton would be. I think he's a better puck mover and skater than Chiarot. Wouldn't be a bad guy to have as a depth option for the inevitable injuries.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ha! Thanks for being so thoughtful about following THE RULES :)

Nope, it's simply the available player you'd want most for the run. That's it!

Ok so IMO Erik Karlsson is a no brainer if you want to pick the most talented D man in the NHL. If Trouba were injured and unable to return I do that move all day. However if Trouba was healthy I would be really concerned about brining in a D man better than anyone on on the right side with our egos. That could be way too disruptive when Buff gets kicked off the #1 PP unit and EK stars eating the top 25 minutes?

I would probably add McDonagh. I think he would complement any one of our RHD men really well and I think the egos on the left side could make room for the talent. Also if we lost a righty I like the idea of playing 4 LHD before Chiarot if PMo has Ben as the clear cut #7.

Ben goes to #8 Poolman #9 and I think we are sitting pretty.

Reactions: Jet and ShooTer44

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Cody Franson please. He has already cleared waivers so won't even cost you a roster spot until someone gets hurt and you need him to play. Cheap as well, both in terms of salary and the assets required to acquire him. Can likely be had for something like a conditional 5th.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Well, Karlsson, by the thread criteria.

Which are weird.

I don't think the Jets should pay what Karlsson will cost.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Chose McDonough, he's more of a team player than Karlsson is. Karlsson, as amazing as he is, is overall the better player, but he just does too much himself and is almost not a team player at some points to his game. McDonough would just bring too much good for the Jets.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Based on the criteria I don't see how anyone doesn't go Best D available which would be karlsson

Edit voted McDonagh initially but only read thread title, not op, sorry
You have to realize that we would give up a shitload for the top D. If you are willing, then pick them.
I'd obviously love Karlsson, but not at the price he would ask. More like Hjalmarsson for a pick and a prospect.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
You need depth going into the playoffs, especially if you are going deep. I don't know if having a 3rd pair of Chiarot and Poolman is going to be good enough if we go up against a Penguins or Lightning team in the final.

I like our D corps too, but, as I said in my OP - we have 3 guys who are injury prone, and 2 guys who have been injured this year outside of those 3. We don't know how Trouba is going to respond to his high ankle sprain (thats what he has?) they can take forever to heal properly.

Really? I'm not buying this.

Since when have the Blackhawks, or Pens had more depth than that? I've never heard of anyone going out at the trade deadline for a rental that's going to sit on the bench when everyone is healthy.

We already have great depth with Chairot and Poolman as our 4th pairing.

Our bottom pair is one if JoMo-Trouba, Enstrom-Buff, or Kuli-Myers.

There is no way we should be giving anything up for someone who's gonna watch from the stands and be a "just in case"

Not happening.

If we make a trade it's for forward depth

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I used Other for nobody. I await my admonishment for rule breaking.
giphy.gif

Reactions: nobody important

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
As long as we don't pay more than a third round pick

You don’t think McDonagh is a fair return for our lack of skill at LD(compared to the rest of the team), and it’s somewhat more realistic for the team he’s on and the situation at hand.

As a Jets fan I’d be willing to move a couple 1sts for that if it’s possible.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You don’t think McDonagh is a fair return for our lack of skill at LD(compared to the rest of the team), and it’s somewhat more realistic for the team he’s on and the situation at hand.

As a Jets fan I’d be willing to move a couple 1sts for that if it’s possible.

No don't need him, don't want to spend the assets now. If you really want him to replace Enstrom wait til the draft. It will cost less.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Never ever trade a first. Firsts are jets greatest strengt

that said I would trade a first to Edmonton for their 2 to 7 rounders. :) They will waste their non firsts anyways.

Happy adding a #5 or 6 guy for depth.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No interest in any of those over priced aging rentals available. Sooner get a McCabe or bottom pairing guy who is better then Chariot for depth. Don't need any big splash type of moves.

At forward add a bottom 6 C ideally for depth, nice if he was good at PK & face offs. Again no big splash moves.

During the summer we can reevaluate what we have & what we need. Steady as she goes here.....no big moves needed at the TDL.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd definitely take Karlsson so voted for him.
If that actually happened though, I'm scared of what we'd have to give up.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I went with Chris Tanev. I think he'd be ecstatic to join the team. He talked Brandon into signing with the Jets so he must think rather highly about our team, hasn't played on a winning team since forever and would join his brother on an overall probably fair price. The Canucks are gonna have to go through a rebuilding process very soon. I don't think they're going to be determined to re-sign him anyway.

Sure Karlsson would be a dream but it's going to only be a dream so why bother.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Really? I'm not buying this.

Since when have the Blackhawks, or Pens had more depth than that? I've never heard of anyone going out at the trade deadline for a rental that's going to sit on the bench when everyone is healthy.

We already have great depth with Chairot and Poolman as our 4th pairing.

Our bottom pair is one if JoMo-Trouba, Enstrom-Buff, or Kuli-Myers.

There is no way we should be giving anything up for someone who's gonna watch from the stands and be a "just in case"

Not happening.

If we make a trade it's for forward depth

of coarse this is true and of coarse the jets wont by looking to upgrade at defence. the good news is chevy isn't spending even 1 dime phoning any gm's asking them about their dmem.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Josh Gorges would my pick for just playoff injury insurance. He's an assistant captain so likely good locker room guy, and fills the bill for the Jets getting someone with playoff experience. Yes he's in decline but getting away from Buffalo to a winning team may rejuvenate him a bit. Likely can be had with a mid to late draft pick or player like Dano. Article that speculates Gorges may be a fit with the Jets (or Blues):

Buffalo Sabres working hard to trade Josh Gorges

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->