Speculation: Which Available Defenseman would YOU like to see the Jets pick up?

Pick the one D man YOU want for our playoff run

• Total voters

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think most here agree we need to bolster our defensive depth. I'd LOVE to pick up a top 4 AND a 6-7 guy for the run, but would settle for one (obviously top 4).

The guys I listed are likely to be available at the TD.

BASE YOUR ANSWER ON WHO YOU WANT, ONLY. Don't factor in their willingness to come here, or the Jets likelyhood of going after them.

Pick the guy you want the most, based on their skillset, where they'd slot in, and how you think they'd help us go deep. If I missed someone, pick other, but they must be a likely bet to be shopped at the TD (so, no Mike Green, Jack Johnson or OEL).

Have at er!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I voted for Karlsson. Though I don't really know that we need a guy in the backend who is as offensive minded as Karlsson, and I really wanted to pick Chris Tanev, I think Erik's hunger to win the cup and his absolutely elite level of skill and hockey sense makes him a defacto first choice.

Chris Tanev is a close second. I like that type of defenseman in the playoffs, and the fact that his brother plays here would make it far more likely that he would be a culture fit in the dressing room.

Reactions: sipowicz

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I mean, if we're not factoring in anything obviously Karlsson. If we are then whatever is cheapest. Don't care to give up much right now, we've got the depth to pretty easily deal with 2 injuries on the back end. I'd be content with Chevy standing pat really.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
I voted for Karlsson. Easy choice, he's the best D in the league and would make the Jets the team to beat in the playoffs. It'd be so, so awesome to see Karlsson feeding the Jets forwards... :nod:

Reactions: Jet

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
McDonagh, Hammer and Hutton are my picks in that order. I'm most concerned with potentially meeting a heavy team in the playoffs. Toby doesn't do well against them and I'd like to shore up the left side the most.

Reactions: buggs and Jet

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Holden or Cole. We are not going out and getting a top 4 D, so we can stop dreaming. Guys like Holden and Cole are good bottom pair guys on majority of teams. We have them as #7 even though Chairot has been solid they are minor upgrades with expierence. And when we need them they can help shore up our depth.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Why do we need any of those guys? You dance with the one who brung ya.
You need depth going into the playoffs, especially if you are going deep. I don't know if having a 3rd pair of Chiarot and Poolman is going to be good enough if we go up against a Penguins or Lightning team in the final.

I like our D corps too, but, as I said in my OP - we have 3 guys who are injury prone, and 2 guys who have been injured this year outside of those 3. We don't know how Trouba is going to respond to his high ankle sprain (thats what he has?) they can take forever to heal properly.

Reactions: ATLbound

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Holden or Cole. We are not going out and getting a top 4 D, so we can stop dreaming. Guys like Holden and Cole are good bottom pair guys on majority of teams. We have them as #7 even though Chairot has been solid they are minor upgrades with expierence. And when we need them they can help shore up our depth.
*does not follow instructions*

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Based on the criteria I don't see how anyone doesn't go Best D available which would be karlsson

Edit voted McDonagh initially but only read thread title, not op, sorry

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Agree with ATL. Screwing around with the chemistry on this team is playing with fire. Add some D depth and lets see where this team can go on their own. Bringing in big name players can seriously damage the room.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Taking in relative costs, Holden, Cole being no more than 2nd to mid round picks and Karlsson costing the moon, I figure Hammer would be a happy median for cost. Could slot in behind Morrissey and paired with Buff would be awesome. Myers and Kuli paired on the bottom with Enstrom Chiarot as our 7ths. I pity the other teams forwards

Reactions: cg98

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think most here agree we need to bolster our defensive depth. I'd LOVE to pick up a top 4 AND a 6-7 guy for the run, but would settle for one (obviously top 4).

The guys I listed are likely to be available at the TD.

BASE YOUR ANSWER ON WHO YOU WANT, ONLY. Don't factor in their willingness to come here, or the Jets likelyhood of going after them.

Pick the guy you want the most, based on their skillset, where they'd slot in, and how you think they'd help us go deep. If I missed someone, pick other, but they must be a likely bet to be shopped at the TD (so, no Mike Green, Jack Johnson or OEL).

Have at er!

Ok I am an entrepreneur and don’t tend to follow rules well but I want to be respectful of your thread Jet. I have one clarifying question, do we factor in cost? It doesn’t appear like we do but I want to be clear.

Last edited:

ShooTer44

Oct 6, 2012
Ryan McDonagh , he was a first round pick (2007/12 overall) , Olympian(2014), proven leader (Rangers Captain) , has a bit of size to him, he's only 28 yrs old , and as for fitting in , he's from St. Paul , Minnesota

Edit .... he shoots left !!

Last edited:
Reactions: boydkc and Jet

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
They dont need a dman. They are plenty deep. Tampa now they need help on d not us.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So we'll mark you down as "other" then?
If you count trouba in our top 6 as in all healthy who upgrades at a position were all players are playing good. Every team going into playoffs would kill to have a 6th dman like enstrom or kulikov who ever you think that might be. On top of everything they are playing great. They wont be looking anybody to replace any of our top 6.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
If you count trouba in our top 6 as in all healthy who upgrades at a position were all players are playing good. Every team going into playoffs would kill to have a 6th dman like enstrom or kulikov who ever you think that might be. On top of everything they are playing great. They wont be looking anybody to teplace any of our top 6.
Your choice isn't on the list ;)

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ok I am an entrepreneur and don’t tend to follow rules well but I want to be respectful of your thread Jet. I have one clarifying question, do we factor in cost? It doesn’t appear like we do but I want to be clear.

Ha! Thanks for being so thoughtful about following THE RULES :)

Nope, it's simply the available player you'd want most for the run. That's it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad