Which American city is a natural for an new NHL franchise?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dan Galvin said:
I was kind of wondering about Oklahoma City myself. What kind of attendance have they had?

Oh man...can you imagine the outcry from traditionalists

X0ssbar

Canadian city first...if nothing there then Vegas..

Personally, if the NHL were to expand or relocate I would hope that they explore all Canadian options first...two teams were forced to move b/c of financial difficulties and I personally believe that if we had today's system back then then there would still be 8 Canadian franchises instead of 6...so in other words I think they got screwed...

If for whatever reason Canadian cities aren't viable I'd like to see the NHL put a franchise in Vegas....the positivies in my mind outweight the negatives...for one its one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. Also, with all of the corporate mega-hotels and tourism that comes in and out of that city that arena will be full. Think of all the tie-ins that could be marketed....

"Round trip 3 day stay at MGM Grand with free tickets to NHL game"...."only $699 dollars per person"...

I mean seriously...I don't know how many of you have been to Vegas before but there is only so much gambling you can do....

Anyhow..somebody is going to tap that market first and I'd like to see the NHL make throw down the first ace.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
No offence to canadians, but if the NHL ever wants to break from its niche sport title (which will be hard to do) they cannot expand back to anymore markets in Canada.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Dan Galvin said:
I was kind of wondering about Oklahoma City myself. What kind of attendance have they had?

8,988 average this year (I believe they have had an ave of 10,000 before) which apparently leads all 93 minor pro league teams in North America.

They also hold single game records of around 17,000. Not bad considering they play in the CHL which is like the 4th tier.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
stan17 said:
I am sure the proposed ownership group is fully aware of those costs, the cost to renovate Copps and to purchase the existing team. All apart of the Business plan.
Relocation or expansion, territorial rights (tv, merch etc.) to Toronto and Buffalo would equal HUGE $$$. Add to the cost a new building (Copps can't be reno'ed- it just wouldn't be worth it) and a team in Hamilton dosen't make much financial sense IMO.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
Solfjäder said:
How about Madison? The Kohl arena should be suitable (I'm not sure if College Rink Regulations are the same as the NHL's), and they could maybe build a new arena and move in after it's built. Madison doesn't have many major sport franchises, and it's a pretty big hockey town.

No chance in the near future. But I actually think Madison might make a great site in 25-30 years. Great city. Relatively affluent. If it can work for Columbus in 2000, then I say it can work for Madison in 2035. Especially if the Chicago Blackhawks have a revival. Make it Wisconsin's team. Play a couple of games in Milwaukee and and outdoor games at Lambeau. Way out there in the future though.

geezette

Jun 9, 2006
30 yrs in the minors
Madison is just lovely, but it's way too small. They havn't even supported minor leagues since the Monsters folded.

Having been to all the Canadian Cities, I think Quebec and Winnepeg could well support a winning hockey team. However, probably not a really bad one. All a city needs is the great font of moola and a franchise could be granted.
It's just the great white north doesn't enjoy dumping large sums of money into the furnace.
The potential owners are waiting to see how things shake out before anyone decides it's a good idea. Give it 3or 4 more years and then see if a couple of franchises aren't bandied about.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Seattle is not a hockey town. The fact that the local NBC affialte King 5 didn't show games 3 & 4, and isn't planning to show game 5 tonight tells you that market doesn't care at all. They are just showing the news

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
CrazyCanucks said:
Seattle is not a hockey town. The fact that the local NBC affialte King 5 didn't show games 3 & 4, and isn't planning to show game 5 tonight tells you that market doesn't care at all. They are just showing the news

Bah! That old hag Jean Enerson probably *****ed to the point where they dropped the game.

That station needs to drop her butt to the curb.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
CrazyCanucks said:

It's true that Channel 5 isn't showing the games, but they put them on their alternate (over the air) channel KONG.

That doesn't make it right, but it's not as if the games aren't available at all in Seattle.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Oh man...can you imagine the outcry from traditionalists

as a traditionalist, I have no problem with a team in OKC... they have a history of supporting hockey at an unusual level. It'd make better sense than the current trend of putting a team in location and hoping the people find the inside of the building, aka the southern strategy.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Doctor No said:
It's true that Channel 5 isn't showing the games, but they put them on their alternate (over the air) channel KONG.

That doesn't make it right, but it's not as if the games aren't available at all in Seattle.

CBC is on Basic cable in Seattle.

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
Patman said:
as a traditionalist, I have no problem with a team in OKC... they have a history of supporting hockey at an unusual level. It'd make better sense than the current trend of putting a team in location and hoping the people find the inside of the building, aka the southern strategy.

Ya me too I've heard good things about hockey support in that area.
Seems to me like a better spot then some.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Doctor No said:
Not in the entire metro area (I can speak specifically of Kitsap County).

It depends who your carrier is in the Sticks. I used to also live in Thurston County as well as King county and the further away from Seattle you went, the less likely you had CBC on your cable if it wasn't Comcast/Viacom.

shatner_rules

You're in Trouba
Nov 22, 2004
Manitoba
Originally posted by Top Shelf

Canadian city first...if nothing there then Vegas..

Personally, if the NHL were to expand or relocate I would hope that they explore all Canadian options first...two teams were forced to move b/c of financial difficulties and I personally believe that if we had today's system back then then there would still be 8 Canadian franchises instead of 6...so in other words I think they got screwed...

If for whatever reason Canadian cities aren't viable I'd like to see the NHL put a franchise in Vegas....the positivies in my mind outweight the negatives...for one its one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. Also, with all of the corporate mega-hotels and tourism that comes in and out of that city that arena will be full. Think of all the tie-ins that could be marketed....

"Round trip 3 day stay at MGM Grand with free tickets to NHL game"...."only $699 dollars per person"...

I mean seriously...I don't know how many of you have been to Vegas before but there is only so much gambling you can do....

Anyhow..somebody is going to tap that market first and I'd like to see the NHL make throw down the first ace.

Finally someone with sense. :clap:

Winnipeg now has a proper arena. If you had a chance to see a game in the old arena then you would know how obstructed your view can be when watching a game. In the new arena? No such problems.

I'm tired of people saying "Winnipeg had its chance already." Excuse me, but didn't Minnesota and Atlanta have teams already? They were given a second chance.

(Forgot to add Colorado in there as well)

With the new economics I am certain a team can make it here.

Last edited:

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
shatner_rules said:
Winnipeg now has a proper arena. If you had a chance to see a game in the old arena then you would know how obstructed your view can be when watching a game. In the new arena? No such problems.
The MTS Centre is a lovely facility, and the sight lines are superb (especially compared to the old Arena) but I don't think that's the issue. The Jets didn't die because you couldn't see the scoreboard from the upper deck - they died because the team didn't make a dime from parking or concessions. Also, isn't the MTS Centre just a little too small for a 'real' NHL rink (only ~15,000 seats)?
shatner_rules said:
With the new economics I am certain a team can make it here.
I just don't see a homegrown owner willing or able to take this on. There's no Eugene Melnyk or Mark Cuban in Winnipeg.

I'd love to have the Jets back again, but I can't see it happening.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
Dan Galvin said:

Oklahoma City would be a pretty good choice for another hockey team,the Blazers seem to have real good fan support(as it's been mentioned). A friend of mine lives in Noble,which is like 10 minutes from OKC,and says the team and sport gets alot of fans.

Now what to name the team,if the league did indeed move a team there?

corneo

Jun 12, 2006
Davis, California
Would their be enough Vegas fans? I heard most of the people that live there work in the Vegas tourism industry. Not a whole lot of spare change there to pay for a season ticket.

A NHL in Canada would be nice. Some where in a big city would be great. Winnipeg? Hamilton? One of those Newfie city.

puckhead103*

corneo said:
Would their be enough Vegas fans? I heard most of the people that live there work in the Vegas tourism industry. Not a whole lot of spare change there to pay for a season ticket.

A NHL in Canada would be nice. Some where in a big city would be great. Winnipeg? Hamilton? One of those Newfie city.
not a chance.....

no corporate bases.....small populations.......not enough affluence to buy NHL prices.....

HoustonHockey

Jan 5, 2006
Garbs said:
1. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2. Seattle, Washington
3. Portland, Oregon

Houston will get a team before any of those cities, however.

The two reasons this would happen are the sheer size of the city (4th largest in the U.S.) and we have a brand-new arena where the Rockets play. They would have to move the Aeros, though.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
puckhead103 said:
not a chance.....

no corporate bases.....small populations.......not enough affluence to buy NHL prices.....

I support southern teams, yet I find your comment ridiculous. The hockey base is really large down there, I'm sure any corporation down there would support a new NHL expansion team. Plus, I believe Winnipeg has a new arena that's expandable. A hockey team in Winnipeg or Quebec City is really a no-brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad