Which all-time team has the best starting man unit?

Who has the best 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Edmonton

McDavid-Gretzky-Messier (Kurri)

Coffey-Lowe

Pittsburgh

Crosby-Lemieux-Jagr (Malkin)

Murphy-Gonchar

Boston

Bucyk-Esposito-Neely (Bergeron)

Orr-Bourque (Shore)

Montreal

Lafleur-Beliveau-Richard (Morenz)

Harvey-Robinson (Savard)

Detroit

Fedorov-Yzerman-Howe (Datsyuk)

Lidstrom-Kelly

Chicago

Hull-Mikita-Kane (Toews)

Chelios-Pilote (Keith)

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
It was great, but Bourque and Coffey didn't seem to click together. Which is fair for a short tournament where they've never played together before, but those Soviets kept blitzing them for SH chances.

Reactions: Sentinel

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It was great, but Bourque and Coffey didn't seem to click together. Which is fair for a short tournament where they've never played together before, but those Soviets kept blitzing them for SH chances.
You're right. Defensively, it didn't really work. Actually, I thought Coffey and MacInnis were a perfect pair at Canada Cup '91.

But anyway, offensively, that '87 fivesome was lights-out.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
CSKA Moscow is a club team that could give any NHL squad a run for their money:

Kharlamov - Fedorov - Makarov
Fetisov - Kasatonov

Note: Fedorov played on the team 1986-90.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Toss in 06 Pronger instead of Lowe and I'll go Oilers. If Lowe is mandatory, probably not.

I didn't think playing with them for one year would qualify him, but if that was the case I agree we would have our answer.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If the proper Detroit team were listed (Lindsay in, Fedorov out), I might have voted for them.

Would you rather Lindsay over a peak Fedorov though? I guess I didn't specify peaks, but IMO it adds more diversity to their line up, Lindsay was like a mini Howe.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Was Lindsay as well rounded as Howe...or even Fedorov for that matter? In my head, I equated Lindsay with Maurice Richard Jr. ...work-a-day, passionate, goal scoring wingers that weren't exactly geniuses out there but did work their bags off...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Would you rather Lindsay over a peak Fedorov though? I guess I didn't specify peaks, but IMO it adds more diversity to their line up, Lindsay was like a mini Howe.

I mean, Fedorov's 93-94 is better than Lindsay's or a lot of other players. But beyond that season... Lindsay's prime was easily better. Plus he's a natural LW.

Was Lindsay as well rounded as Howe...or even Fedorov for that matter? In my head, I equated Lindsay with Maurice Richard Jr. ...work-a-day, passionate, goal scoring wingers that weren't exactly geniuses out there but did work their bags off...

Lindsay was very well rounded, unlike Maurice Richard, who was mainly a goal scoring machine.

No, he wasn't as good defensively as Fedorov, but he was a lot better offensively (other than 93-94 of course)

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Montreal, the greatest dynasty of all-time has the greatest starting man unit.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I think Montreal is getting overrated here.

Forwards are easily Pittsburgh (although I'd put Coffey there), defensemen -- easily Boston.

As a 5 man-unit: Edmonton, especially with Pronger.

MyDogSparty

Yzerman & Lidstrom
Mar 3, 2008
I like the 6 franchises selected but where are the goalies?

Edmonton: Fuhr
Pittsburgh: Barrasso, Fleury
Boston: Thompson, Brimsek
Montreal: Durnan, Plante, Dryden, Roy (?)
Detroit: Sawchuk, Hasek, Osgood
Chicago: Hall, T.Esposito

It’s pretty hard NOT to pick Montreal in this scenario. I do love how the Boston & Chicago teams have wingers playing their original positions (Bucyk-LW, Neely-RW, Bo.Hull-LW, P.Kane-RW). They get extra credit from me for that.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->