Music: Which 5 albums do you like the best and why? Part One

Which 5 albums do you like the best and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Do you guys have any car music? I always listen to the Blues, but the 2 bands that never come out of the CD player are the best car band Sam and Dave and the legendary live artist James Brown.

You have a CD player in your car??? :laugh:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I feel like the weaker songs from Pet Sounds are also stronger than the weaker bits from Smile as well, though, so hard to say Pet Sounds wouldn't still be their best work regardless. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but while I think the highs of Smile are really cool, I'm not sure if I fully buy into the what if dream scenario being some next level thing like people suggest-- I'm sure it would have been better if prime Beach Boys recorded it, but the 2004 Smile felt like there were some dips in quality (especially some of the stuff between Surf's Up and Good Vibrations) and largely built around just a few centerpieces rather than some total magnum opus for them.
I was moreso referring to the Beach Boys continuing on their psychedelic/artsy pop trajectory instead of falling back like they did on albums like Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, etc. But from what I understand, while all the backing tracks were recorded only three tracks were actually completed during the original Smile sessions (Wonderful, Vegetables, Wind Chimes), and Van Dyke Parks was brought back in during the 2004 sessions to help Brian complete the record. So it would've likely been significantly different.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was moreso referring to the Beach Boys continuing on their psychedelic/artsy pop trajectory instead of falling back like they did on albums like Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, etc. But from what I understand, while all the backing tracks were recorded only three tracks were actually completed during the original Smile sessions (Wonderful, Vegetables, Wind Chimes), and Van Dyke Parks was brought back in during the 2004 sessions to help Brian complete the record. So it would've likely been significantly different.
In what way besides performing prowess, though? Aren't the ideas/material he used in 2004 exactly what he dreamt up in the 60s?

I get that his voice and the voice of the others recording with him would have been way better had they been recorded in their prime, but I'm unfamiliar with other setbacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad