Which 2 centers would you take at their peaks?

Which pair would you rather have on your team at their best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
This is not true.

From 94 to 04, Forberg's PPG was 1.28, the average PPG of the other Top 20 scorers was 1.01

From 05 to 14, Crosby's PPG was 1.40, Malkin's was 1.22, the average PPG of the other Top 20 scorers was 1.01

Crosby clearly is ahead but playoff stats are similar.
Oh damn sorry I don’t how I ended up with those numbers for Crosby. I guess the top 20 ppg is a lot more relevant in this case when we’re looking at these guys in particular but scoring was lowest in 02-03 and 03-04 iirc.
My point is that Forsberg is absolutely in those guys tiers (so is McDavid) so it’s actually really close either way, regardless of how many cups Crosby and Malkin have over the others.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Oh damn sorry I don’t how I ended up with those numbers for Crosby. I guess the top 20 ppg is a lot more relevant in this case when we’re looking at these guys in particular but scoring was lowest in 02-03 and 03-04 iirc.
My point is that Forsberg is absolutely in those guys tiers (so is McDavid) so it’s actually really close either way, regardless of how many cups Crosby and Malkin have over the others.

Forsberg would certainly be in the upper tier with Crosby, Malkin and Sakic as the best playoff performers out the ten players listed but peak offensive play is a level below Crosby's and Malkin's best. McDavid's offensive peak is below them (and arguably below Forsberg too) and obviously has no playoff resume to speak of.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I can't be the only one who thinks that Mcdavid is on a completely different level compared to Crosby right? Crosby has lost the Art Ross to so many people during his career but with Mcdavid there just isn't anyone who is even close to him.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Oh yeah, seems absolutely fair. Somehow, winning their cups together is a disadvantage even if the purpose of the pool is who would you take at their best...

Measuring this poll on Stanley Cups is a moot point anyways as it takes a whole lot more than two great centres to win in this league. Teams also need a combination of goaltending, defense, health, supporting cast and even a few lucky bounces here and there.

If this poll were all about Cups, Sakic and Yzerman would be top two for most voters yet they’re not.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Measuring this poll on Stanley Cups is a moot point anyways as it takes a whole lot more than two great centres to win in this league. Teams also need a combination of goaltending, defense, health, supporting cast and even a few lucky bounces here and there.

If this poll were all about Cups, Sakic and Yzerman would be top two for most voters yet they’re not.

Not only Crosby and Malkin have the most cups, but they actually won them together and one of them with a pretty poor supporting cast in 2009. That was one of the only years when both have been healthy at the same time at their prime/peak. So, we know what we can get with them.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I can't be the only one who thinks that Mcdavid is on a completely different level compared to Crosby right? Crosby has lost the Art Ross to so many people during his career but with Mcdavid there just isn't anyone who is even close to him.

Look up the word context in the dictionary then apply some.

Take your pick:

Crosby > McDavid because Crosby won an Art Ross by 17 points to McDavisd's 10 points

Apply some context and see that McDavid has not separated himself that much when looking at the PPGs of the other top scorers.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
You are probably the only one outside of Edmonton, Washington and Philadelphia.

McDavid was only a few points ahead of a 30+ year old Claude Giroux, so let's not pretend he's out on this untouchable island. The only reason he won the scoring championship by 10 points the previous year was because Crosby was injured in the first two weeks of the season. Insert a healthy Crosby and who knows if McDavid even wins the Art Ross. Not to mention McDavid hasn't proven anything in the playoffs, while Sid just post 21 points in 12 games.

And Crosby's trophy case was effected more so by injuries than anything. A little more luck and he'd have a trophy case better than anyone not named Wayne or Gordie and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You are probably the only one outside of Edmonton, Washington and Philadelphia.

McDavid was only a few points ahead of a 30+ year old Claude Giroux, so let's not pretend he's out on this untouchable island. The only reason he won the scoring championship by 10 points the previous year was because Crosby was injured in the first two weeks of the season. Insert a healthy Crosby and who knows if McDavid even wins the Art Ross. Not to mention McDavid hasn't proven anything in the playoffs, while Sid just post 21 points in 12 games.

And Crosby's trophy case was effected more so by injuries than anything. A little more luck and he'd have a trophy case better than anyone not named Wayne or Gordie and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Crosby had not separated himself more from the pack that significantly around the same age though. Not just that, but McDavid has also shown to be a superior scorer in general compared to Crosby, who benefited greatly from the playing on the PP with Malkin.

Did Crosby have a chance of catching McDavid? Sure, but he didn’t. He was 11 points back in 7 less games. He slowed down towards the end of the season so who knows. It’s hard to prove yourself in the playoffs when your the only talented player on your own team. Crosby has had Malkin, McDavid has no one.

I’m not saying McDavid is light years ahead of Crosby, but to say he’s better at this moment shouldn’t be such a shock. He just lacks the Team around him.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If you're talking hypothetical healthy peak, for me it's Fedorov and Lindros.

At their peaks they absolutely took over games in a way I've not seen many players do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad