Which 1B will have a better career?

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Gotta go with Rizzo here. Abreu has been much better than expected, and I believe his numbers will come down some, and Rizzo offers much more on the defensive side.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
For several seconds I was utterly confused at the sudden appearance of these Toews challengers.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Impossible to tell. Think both are going to be very good for a long time. Abreu will probably put up bigger offensive numbers I am guessing. I think it'll be fun for the city as a whole to have two guys at the same position be excellent players and cornerstones of their respective teams.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I'd lean Rizzo because he's just about to hit his prime whereas Abreu is already in the middle of his prime. Also because of his body shape, Abreu is likely to break down at an earlier age.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Everything points to Abreu statistically, who is a rookie, still adjusting to the league and has an OPS about 80 points higher this year and 180 points higher in his mlb career. Lots of cubs fans on this subforum though.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Everything points to Abreu statistically, who is a rookie, still adjusting to the league and has an OPS about 80 points higher this year and 180 points higher in his mlb career. Lots of cubs fans on this subforum though.

He's 27. He's not a normal rookie.

Crow

May 19, 2014
He's 27. He's not a normal rookie.

No, I agree he is not, but because he is a rookie, he is still likely to improve due to learning the pitchers in the league. Much more often than not, in baseball, when a pitcher and batter are learning each other, the pitcher has the advantage. Jose will likely continue to improve on his numbers, and I doubt Rizzo will ever even reproduce Jose's rookie year OPS.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
No, I agree he is not, but because he is a rookie, he is still likely to improve due to learning the pitchers in the league. Much more often than not, in baseball, when a pitcher and batter are learning each other, the pitcher has the advantage. Jose will likely continue to improve on his numbers, and I doubt Rizzo will ever even reproduce Jose's rookie year OPS.

giphy.gif

So Jose is going to improve, but Rizzo won't. Amazing logic. Truly flawless.

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada

Rizzo hasn't even hit his prime yet, and Abreu entered the league in his prime age. Rizzo just turned 25, has 27 homeruns, is batting .280 and plays GG defense. I wasn't high on Abreu coming into the league, but he has changed my mind with his play this year. I would still take Rizzo. Defense has a lot of value. Remember Derrek Lee? He was not only a very good hitter, but his defense made him crazy valuable to a team. Abreu is a below average first baseman, and could very well end up DHing a lot in his career.

Nothingman*

Rizzo...because I am a Cubs homer. But also because I think he has a more complete game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad