Which 1 year deal works out the best?

Which 1 year deal signing works out the best?

• Total voters

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Prediction:

Nordstrom - Toby Rieder level player that floats in and out of the pressbox
Simon - Gets waived
Leivo - 15g+15a
Nesterov - Returns to Russia

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Leivo, like Czarnik, will thrive under elite players and also can produce a lot if given the ice time.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Which FA acquisition that the Flames made this offseason works out the best for the upcoming season?

Nordstrom
Simon
Leivo
Nesterov

I am "longshot picking", in honour of my Dad, who always choses the longshot.
I say Simon, on a whim, in that with the hope of Lindholm C on 1st line with JG on LW and MTk on RW. Then a line of Dube -Lw/ Money -C and try Simon onRw. Third could be Mangi-Lw/ Backlund-C and Josh Leivo-Rw. If this were to work out, I hold hope that Simon finds his game and gels with setting Money up, along with Dube contributing more in a higher role.
1st line reconfig still offers chances for a top-scoring line a little different makeup. 3rd could still be a very strong defensive yet puck control line. Only thing is, this could set Bennett up for 4th line C. Win-win for team and Bennh could always be moved up for poor pergormance replacement for injuries, etc. Oops, I forgot about Derek Ryan? We may have too many bodies! Lots of options and potentials,for sure.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Leivo, like Czarnik, will thrive under elite players and also can produce a lot if given the ice time.
Despite my long-shot pick of Simon, you have good points on Leivo. I have often thought he has more to offer and with new scenery, teammates here and system, if given steady icetime with more productive players.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I'm going with Simon here, I feel he's going to thrive not being pressured to produce with the likes of Crosby. He can actually play his game and carve out a nice role for himself.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Leivo has the most obvious path to playing higher in the lineup, so from that standpoint it is easy to argue it's him.

That said, is Leivo a good bottom-six, or even 4th line fit if he cant stick it as a scorer? I am not so sure of that. Simon or Nordstrom seem like the stronger bet to be able to stick in a 4th line role.

Nesterov is interesting too. He is what he is, and hes either going to make this team and stay on it, or go back to Russia. I just cannot see him playing in the AHL waiting for a call up. I think though, he is insurance if it so happens that guys like Valimaki, Kylington don't appear ready.

My vote is for Leivo because I think he is the best player, but he is also the most likely to perhaps struggle to find his niche here.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I chose Leivo as he seems to have a bit more upside that the other two. Simon might surprise if he can play top six. But the real dark horse? Don't count out Buddy Robinson. A long shot, but it could be his last so I expect him to give some players a run for their money.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Leivo has the most obvious path to playing higher in the lineup, so from that standpoint it is easy to argue it's him.

That said, is Leivo a good bottom-six, or even 4th line fit if he cant stick it as a scorer? I am not so sure of that. Simon or Nordstrom seem like the stronger bet to be able to stick in a 4th line role.

Nesterov is interesting too. He is what he is, and hes either going to make this team and stay on it, or go back to Russia. I just cannot see him playing in the AHL waiting for a call up. I think though, he is insurance if it so happens that guys like Valimaki, Kylington don't appear ready.

My vote is for Leivo because I think he is the best player, but he is also the most likely to perhaps struggle to find his niche here.
IIRC the one of the biggest knocks Pens fans had on Simon was that he is pretty useless in a depth role, who knows though.

But I think no matter where he plays, Leivo should be able to produce. If you look at our 5 potential C’s at this point they all should be looked at to produce.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad