Wheres the hype? D Michal Sersen

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by X-SHARKIE, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Watching a couple of games between Rimouski vs Moncton.... D Michal Sersen has caught my eye.

I looked him up and they have Sersen listed at 6-2 196. So he has the size and he should fill out around 220 because he looks like a tall 6-2, possibly 6-3. He looks like a thin guy, but he already likes to use his body, and he does a very fine job at it. He really works his own zone well, He excels at every aspect of the defensive game. I have yet to see him out of position to the point where he didn't end up making the play. Watching the tape, this guy looks like a really really smart player. He was lined up vs Martin Karsums in Game 2 alot, and Martin is a shifty guy with a good shot....Sersen took him out of the play, ever shift. He was really fun to watch, completely shut down his opponets....and he never let Karsums get his shot off. He did a great job block shots without making him self vulnerable to the next play. Sersen has some of the best positioning of any defensman in this draft i've seen. He was amazing in his own zone. He has a nasty side to him to. Sersen likes to hit, but more of a Adam Foot like hit, were he doesnt try to kill you but he'll punish you while he takes you out of the play. He pins his man on the boards and I hate to keep saying this, but he takes his man out of the play completely and constantly. He has very good awareness on the ice, not just in his own zone to. He has a great transition game. Never made a bad or dumb pass out of his zone. He makes the smart, safe play each time, he never makes a forward have to akwardly reach for the pass. It's always on his tape and the forward never had to break stride. He is a solid skater as well. He has solid agility, he has good closing speed, and once he gets going you can really tell this guy has a powerfull stride and long stride. Sersen worked the PP a few times. He was more of a QB playmaker kind of role player...I didn't see Sersen use his shot.... He was exeptional at creating chances on the powerplay though. He mostly got the puck to Crosby on most occasions. He was a stud on the PK.
    This is one of the smartest, most poised, most well rouned defensive packages in this draft. I think he's seriosly underated because he's a defensman in the Q.
    Anyone who was able to watch Rimouski all year, I would like to know if you saw the same.
    I'm calling it. Michal Sersen well be a steal in the 2004 draft if he slips beyond mid 2nd round. Safe pick with very good upside.

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  2. Guig

Guig Registered User

Thanks man! very interesting!

3. LaLaLaprise

LaLaLaprise lalalaprise -twitter

Sersen isnt very good. You must have caught him on a good day.

Rimouski fans will come in here and tell you different but he is overhyped.

He is a defensive liability. Did you see the prospects game when Schremp made him look like an orange pylon?

He reminds me of Tomas Malec but worse.

4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

He is also far from one of the "really really smart player", IMO. I've seen him do his best impersonation of Ulanov and completely forget his responsibilities and not coming back at all. He has lapses.

He is not bad, but seems 3rd-4th round quality at best.

One year in the Q when a Euro D is not overhyped is a bizarre year. There's often a D who gets extra attention for reasons that are often beyond me. Sersen is it this year.

5. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

From what I've seen he seems to have some good skills like his physical game and skating, but needs some work in his own end. He doesn't look that tall though. I though he was more 6'0-6'1 and not a very big frame either, but I have one or two of his games on tape I'll relook at him. Seems like a solid 3rd round pick.

I also like Tobin if he can work on his skating/foot speed, he might be worth a late round pick as he seems to like to hit from the little I've seen of him.

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Registered User

Home Page:
    Sarsen should go in the 3rd round, some night he is very strong and others we don't see him at all... but Rimouski miss him a lot when he was injured

as for Tobin, he is one of my favorite player either, he is always playing at 110% even when the team is down he is always on top, finish in the top 10 in hits ih the Q i think and scored more than 20 goals, i hope he'll get draft

7. LaLaLaprise

Sersen is 2004's version of Vagner

Not in skill or the way they play, but just the hype machine.

I agree Vlad, 3rd-4th round.

8. LaLaLaprise

Tobin will be picked most likely. He improved so much from last year.

9. Brock

Brock Registered User

Home Page:
    Gotta agree with Vlad and La La here.

Mind you I've only seen Sersen like twice besides the Prospects game, he's never, ever impressed me. Brutal in his own zone.

He's like Jiri Drtina, only scoring at a higher clip then Drtina ever did.

10. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

Yea but there has to be concerns about his skating/speed I would think. His size and physical game should get him drafted.

11. LaLaLaprise

Yeah of course. But you can teach a kid to skate :)

Tobin has power-forward qualities that would make him attractive in rds 7-9

12. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

I agree, that's where I see him. Over on the Habs board I was saying I wouldn't mind grabbing him as we need some size/physical players.

Where would you put him when compared to Bonneau ?

13. Darcy Wakaluk

Darcy Wakaluk Registered User

I thought Bonneau was just pretty much a scrapper, while Tobin is a guy who can appear on the scoresheet. Then again, with Sidney Crosby on your team, I don't reckon it's too hard to get your name on the scoresheet.

14. LaLaLaprise

Different players.

Bonneau is a goon with limited hockey skills.

Tobin is a hockey player. He can actually play the game.

15. Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac Registered User

NWO RCN
    Every time I seen him vs Cape Breton he was a god's talent and I say that in a humble way. Sersen was smart, physical and great on 1 on 1's / 2 on 1's in every game. He seemed to have great stickwork around the blueline and clear the puck well when under pressure. I was hypeing him after I seen him play for the 3rd time. One of his problems seem to be inconsistancy then.

16. dunwoody_joe

dunwoody_joe Registered User

Home Page:
    Perfect for a 3rd or 4th rounder: Raw skills, flashes of competance, needs work.

If consistency is what he's working on--then a 3rd rounder is adequate. If skating, then he starts dropping. If all that plus more, he's a late rounder, if at all.

Having never seen Sersen play I'll add nothing specific but--from X-Sharkies desription a 3rd or 4th round choice might be well spent.

17. Sweeney

Sweeney Registered User

Home Page:
    Tobin never played with sid Crosby, he's on a line with Pouliot and Stewart and when he's on the PP he's with Stewart and Hrdel, so he does not appear on the scoring sheet because of Sid, and by the way he's a 1st rounder in 2002

18. X-SHARKIE

Home Page:
    lol yess I did see Schremp make him look like a dear caught in headlights.

But he has really been a huge performer for Rimouski in the playoffs.

Mabey he took some nights off in the regular season, but judging from those playoff games...He looked like somthing special.

19. LaLaLaprise

1st rounder in 2002 doesnt mean anything :)

20. LaLaLaprise

You havent really seen any Rimouski playoff games.

Sersen is overrated because on some ights he looks amazing. Therefore people that catch him on a good night (you) hype him up to be amazing.

21. X-SHARKIE

Home Page:
    I never said he's amazing, I just really like his game. I really like what I see from Michal and he could be a damn good defensman.

22. LaLaLaprise

I know i wasnt bashing your opinion or anything :)

All i meant was that he is really streaky, like 1 game he could look amazing and the next horrible.

23. X-SHARKIE

Home Page:
    Very fair....Like I said, I've only seen a couple times. Nothing to right home about, thats what reason I brung his name up, so people like your self, who have been able to watch him more, could tell me if my viewings were justified.

Still, from what I saw, if he mentaly puts it all together, he could be a good one.

24. LaLaLaprise

Yup, when Sersen is on top of his game he is a really good defensmen. But he is 18 already, so its not to much of me to expect at leats some consistancy, especially when some 16 year old dmen are more consistant.

25. X-SHARKIE

Home Page:
    Your telling me about consistancy....I got a captain who put in 7 goals in the playoffs, six of those came in 2 games. Some people just can do it for a sustained about others can't :help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.