Where's the ceremonies, TSN?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Outlandish arguments ? Okay, which NHL team has a player like Alex Ovechkin in their fourth line.

Just on paper, take a look on Canadian, Russian or Czech rosters. Those teams would be steamrolling from Stanley Cup to another. On paper anyway ;)

They're good rosters but Canada lacks top end talent and Russia and the Czechs lack the depth in quality especially on D as seen in their "no defense" bronze game, and more importantly they are more or less randomly assembled and have no team cohesion which affects quality of play. Also, the WC includes several teams which are at a level of an AHL club maybe and the big teams tend to sleepwalk through those games, hell, a lot of guys on teams like Canada, Russia, USA sleepwalk through most of the games!

And I've watched most WCs and Stanley Cup playoffs since the early 90s, so there's plenty of experience to base this on.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
They didn't bother showing either one, cut to commercial almost immediatly after both games.Went to analysts (Keenan) and some other guy upon return. Didn't even show the golds being given out. Very disappointing, this would have been shown if Canada was involved.:shakehead
Maybe TSN doesn't want show to Canadians, that the participating players really care about winning the championship. You should've seen reaction from Mikko Koivu and Tuomo Ruutu when the game ended and when they got the medals. Koivu looked so happy that he looked like he's been using some fancy intravenous stuff:) When Czechs got their bronze medals, they (including Jagr) celebrated it quite a lot.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Maybe TSN doesn't want show to Canadians, that the participating players really care about winning the championship. You should've seen reaction from Mikko Koivu and Tuomo Ruutu when the game ended and when they got the medals. Koivu looked so happy that he looked like he's been using some fancy intravenous stuff:) When Czechs got their bronze medals, they (including Jagr) celebrated it quite a lot.

Lol, what about when Koivu got the trophy? Happy happy man. :D

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

See, my thing is I like to watch a lot of players, not just Canadian ones. Yes I realize it isn't the Cup and yes i realize they had low viewership.They bothered to show the game, all I'm asking for is a couple minutes of trophy presentation.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
They're good rosters but Canada lacks top end talent and Russia and the Czechs lack the depth in quality especially on D as seen in their "no defense" bronze game, and more importantly they are more or less randomly assembled and have no team cohesion which affects quality of play. Also, the WC includes several teams which are at a level of an AHL club maybe and the big teams tend to sleepwalk through those games, hell, a lot of guys on teams like Canada, Russia, USA sleepwalk through most of the games!

And I've watched most WCs and Stanley Cup playoffs since the early 90s, so there's plenty of experience to base this on.

That's why it's called a team game but the point was that there were some of best players in the world, and quite many of them this time around.

Canada is fine - Skinner and Tavares are awesome. Okay, enough derailing - sore losers :)

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town

Huh Team USA sleepwalk... Ah thats why they lost almost all their matches in 2010 ;) To be honest the big teams can "sleepwalk" as long as they got their best players, like in the olympics. In the WC its alot harder even for team Canada, Russia and the USA.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Huh Team USA sleepwalk... Ah thats why they lost almost all their matches in 2010 ;) To be honest the big teams can "sleepwalk" as long as they got their best players, like in the olympics. In the WC its alot harder even for team Canada, Russia and the USA.

There's actually been quite a few stories through the years of some teams being more interested in the bars of whatever cities are hosting it than the games themselves. You put 20 odd hockey guys into a different country, wives and girlfriends in a different time zone and there's plenty of time to goof around. They feel the wear and tear of a long season and play in a tournament that back home few care about, focus is extremely difficult.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Care care and care.

Who cares about what do others care? No one actually gives a **** what do others think, we have our party here and everyone is welcome to join, those who don't want, no one cares about what they say. Guys really thinking that we are thinking here what Canadians think? And everyone allready knew that many of them dont care about anything but themselfs, and only those times care when they win themself. Otherwise they wont care. Cool. Now lets move on.

Who wants to live their life thinking about what to others think about him. Everyone just live for yourself and be happy and **** about caring.

Whats the problem here?

Totally 100% agree with this post.

There are only a few Finns and Swedes in the Country of Canada. They don't constitute foor good enough ratings for TSN or any other channel to give two ***** about broadcasting the finals, etc.

If this had been Pakistan vs. India in the cricket finals, it would have received it's due attention (even if mainstream Canadians don't give a good damn about cricket).

It's all about the ratings.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Every year TSN goes to the expense of buying the rights and sending a crew over to broadcast the World Championships back to Canada. They are even broadcasting more of the tournament than they used to years ago; they never used to broadcast all 4 QF matches, 2 SF matches and the bronze and gold medal games. It's pretty obvious that there's a critical mass of people who do care about it.

It would have been nice to see the trophy presentation but seeing the games is what's most important to me and TSN delivered as they do every year.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
OMG, you people have no freaking memory. I don't know what happened to TSN this year, but other years, they did show the gold medal ceremony no matter if Canada was part of the game or not. I clearly remember last year when Russia lost, the Russians refused to wear their medals. As soon as they received their medal on their neck, they would take it off. I thought that was kind of classless and arrogant. That, I saw it on TSN and Canada finished 7th! Stop saying that Canada only shows games where Canada is involved.

Having said that, the interest of Canadian viewers for this tournament do affect airtime on TSN. I don't know, maybe they thought Canadians this year were even less interested? I don't know, but as far as I can remember, I do recollect many medal ceremonies where Canada was not involved.

Vladiator16*

OMG, you people have no freaking memory. I don't know what happened to TSN this year, but other years, they did show the gold medal ceremony no matter if Canada was part of the game or not. I clearly remember last year when Russia lost, the Russians refused to wear their medals. As soon as they received their medal on their neck, they would take it off. I thought that was kind of classless and arrogant. That, I saw it on TSN and Canada finished 7th! Stop saying that Canada only shows games where Canada is involved.

Having said that, the interest of Canadian viewers for this tournament do affect airtime on TSN. I don't know, maybe they thought Canadians this year were even less interested? I don't know, but as far as I can remember, I do recollect many medal ceremonies where Canada was not involved.

I for some reason remember 2009 and 2008 better.

Vladiator16*

WHC history in Europe is long and that is why it is so much appreciated in here. Europeans do not care so much about Stanley Cup finals, if their countrymen or favorite players are not playing. There are of course hard core fans, but not so many. Other North American sports series are even less followed, although you could see basketball, baseball, american football, nascar and others live from different sports channels.

Ice hockey not even near the most popular sports in Europe. Football wins the race 100-0 and I bet the Britons or Spaniards don´t even know that there was a WHC in Slovakia. Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Central Europe are hockey countries, but I guess Finland is the one of the few countries (if not the only one?) in Europe where hockey is the most popular sports.

So what is my point? It is that sports culture in each country is different and people value different things. If you ask a basic Finn that would he rather see Finland win gold or his favorite team to win SC, the answer is most likely the first option, although most agree that there are not all the best players playing any spring. However, Finnish NHL players themselves value SC much more and for them WHC is option B. After being eliminated in playoffs they often refuse to join the national team, which is IMO acceptable, because their main goal of the season has been lifting up Stanley Cup - not the trophy from WHC.
Great post.
Also, sometimes i wonder if some NHLers are too banged up and tired after such a grueling season and play offs. Plus sometimes cohesiveness and team chemistry beats randomly assembled talent.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
They should've shown it unless time was an issue and something tells me all it would've interrupted in world championship darts or another rerun of Sports Centre. People may have wanted to see it besides Team Canada fans butt hurt about the fact we were eliminated in the QFs.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I for some reason remember 2009 and 2008 better.
I remember those ceremonies too, but my point is that TSN does show medal ceremonies that don't involve Canada. In 2008 and 2009, Canada was part of the ceremonies, albeit with sad faces :(.

They should've shown it unless time was an issue and something tells me all it would've interrupted in world championship darts or another rerun of Sports Centre. People may have wanted to see it besides Team Canada fans butt hurt about the fact we were eliminated in the QFs.
I think if the gold-medal game was shown live, the ceremony would have been shown. TSN always cuts short non-game materials on non-live programmings.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Yea TSN usualy do a decent job. I don't know what happened there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad