Where's the ceremonies, TSN?

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
Does it really matter that they didn't cover it? Would a TV station in Finland show the awards ceremony if it was Canada in the finals and they had been eliminated in the quarters?

Yes :nod: (to the second question)

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Between the small ice, the clutching, the fatigue and injuries of the players from the super long season, the Stanley Cup playoffs are a lower brand of hockey then is played in the WHC. In fact even the KHL playoffs are much more entertaining. There is no need to bash this tourney everytime Canada loses.

Oh please. Canadians "bash" this tourney even when they win. :nod:

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Yeah this is much more important. When are people going to understand that your domestic club league isn't god's gift to hockey? If the NHL disappeared tommorow, millions of hockey fans wouldn't care and there would still be awesome hockey other places. One of them is this great tourney, in which the rosters in any given game are better then any thing any club team can muster.

Yeah, more important to you. To most North American fans it isn't even close. I'm not going to bash the tournament, it seems like a big deal in Europe (congrats to the Fins and enjoy yourselves, by the way), but it's just not a huge deal here. Maybe if it wasn't during the Stanley Cup Finals, it would be, but lets face it. To us, the SCF are much more important and much more interesting.

Why? Two main reasons, in my opinion. The first being that we watch our NHL teams all year, from October to April, just hoping to get to see them play for a few more weeks and a shot at the Stanley Cup. We aren't going to focus much of our hockey attention, after 82 games +, on a two week (I think?) tournament. The second reason being that in the WC, it's not a true show of the talent from each country. I'm not trying to say that if Canada or USA sent their best players they would win - it's the same for every country. It's not secret that the best in the world play in the NHL, and many stars turn down the WC, or are still in the playoffs.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Why the tournament isn't popular in Canada is irrelevant to the topic at hand. The fact remains that is isn't. This is why TSN had it on a two hour tape delay and did not show the medal presentations.

Would they have show the game live if Canada was involved? Of course. Just like some Euro countries would only cover the Gold Medal game of the WJC if their home nation was involved. It isn't rocket science.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Good thing they aren't televising Cup finals when two "boring" teams make it

"Congrats to the Columbus blue jackets!" (show 20 seconds of hugging)

-Commercials
-Return to 90 second analysis of game not showing any post game celebrations
-10 second shot of captain holding cup
-OOh, look! 5 minutes have passed! Move on to next program PDQ!

That's just because Columbus gets no respect in Canada though

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I never liked the American comedy Hogans heroes because it depicted Europeans as stupid neanderthals and made Americans look like the smartest, bravest, most loyal soldiers.

Then someone told me it was made that way for the benefit of their target audience......Americans.

I guess TSN not showing the medal presentations was because their target audience is Canadians and a lot of Canadians wouldn't watch the game. But if Canada was playing, well then they'd show the ceremonies.

People being people are prone to whine, (like the OP) but I give credit to TSN for even showing both the bronze and gold medal games.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Wow, even stupid Sport1 In Germany showed the whole ceremony and anthems for both
the 3rd place game and final.

It's a big part of the WC imo.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
People in Europe must be born without the ability to comprehend that MOST North Americans don't care about the European B-Cup Championships. It's all a matter of opinion. You Euros need to get it through your head that we don't consider the WC a significant or meaningful tournament. It may seem asinine to you, but many of you feel the same way about the SCP in comparison. To put it simply:

Europeans, your SCP is the WC.
North Americans, your WC is the SCP.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
These discussions are always hilarious because of the emotional investment people make in something so trivial.

Many Canadians act like total dicks about the WC on here. So keen to tell everyone how little they care, a bit too keen. In reality there's always a sense of insecurity involved, that some Euro upstarts may just for a moment forget that Canada is number one. I guess it relates to Canadian national identity and its problems.

Meanwhile Europeans get incredibly defensive and start making rather outlandish arguments. Hurt pride basically creates some interesting delusions. The Cup playoffs are obviously of a higher quality than the WC and I've yet to see a European player turn down the SCP because of the WC. Every European team was without a number of their best players and that happens every year. European guys will play with bad injuries in the playoffs but the slightest knock rules them out of the WC. Club hockey pays the bills and is the focus in a player's life and the NHL happens to offer the best and best-paid club hockey. National teams are diversions and often distractions , it's no different in soccer either.

So to sum it up, the WC isn't irrelevant, it has its own prestige and excitement. You have to play some good hockey against some pretty good competition to win it.

Is it best vs. best? No. Is it as big as the Olympics with NHL players ? No. Is the hockey as good as in the SCP? No. Doesn't mean it isn't a good tournament .

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Care care and care.

Who cares about what do others care? No one actually gives a **** what do others think, we have our party here and everyone is welcome to join, those who don't want, no one cares about what they say. Guys really thinking that we are thinking here what Canadians think? And everyone allready knew that many of them dont care about anything but themselfs, and only those times care when they win themself. Otherwise they wont care. Cool. Now lets move on.

Who wants to live their life thinking about what to others think about him. Everyone just live for yourself and be happy and **** about caring.

Whats the problem here?

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
WHC history in Europe is long and that is why it is so much appreciated in here. Europeans do not care so much about Stanley Cup finals, if their countrymen or favorite players are not playing. There are of course hard core fans, but not so many. Other North American sports series are even less followed, although you could see basketball, baseball, american football, nascar and others live from different sports channels.

Ice hockey not even near the most popular sports in Europe. Football wins the race 100-0 and I bet the Britons or Spaniards don´t even know that there was a WHC in Slovakia. Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Central Europe are hockey countries, but I guess Finland is the one of the few countries (if not the only one?) in Europe where hockey is the most popular sports.

So what is my point? It is that sports culture in each country is different and people value different things. If you ask a basic Finn that would he rather see Finland win gold or his favorite team to win SC, the answer is most likely the first option, although most agree that there are not all the best players playing any spring. However, Finnish NHL players themselves value SC much more and for them WHC is option B. After being eliminated in playoffs they often refuse to join the national team, which is IMO acceptable, because their main goal of the season has been lifting up Stanley Cup - not the trophy from WHC.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
People in Europe must be born without the ability to comprehend that MOST North Americans don't care about the European B-Cup Championships.

How could we not???
EVERY YEAR there are 7000 posts about how North Americans don't care. Pretty much the same posts every time.
I recommended a sticky before this tournament started to get all the tired arguments over with but unfortunately...

Believe me we get it and it doesn't matter to us.

We still love this tournament and watch.

This is not what this thread is about. :laugh:

Those who DID watch the game on TSN were OBVIOUSLY people who DID care and probably would have liked to see the ceremonies after the had already watched the game. So if you're going to show the game you might as well show the other 15 minutes after the game.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
Why the tournament isn't popular in Canada is irrelevant to the topic at hand. The fact remains that is isn't. This is why TSN had it on a two hour tape delay and did not show the medal presentations.

Would they have show the game live if Canada was involved? Of course. Just like some Euro countries would only cover the Gold Medal game of the WJC if their home nation was involved. It isn't rocket science.

True. I have watched both medal-games on our sports channel. They cut Czech medal ceremony completely (though they showed gold medal ceremony). I did not get to see "player of the game" once except for gold-medal game. So it is not NA-only thing. And it was *****. It reminds me of Center-Ice, with no pre/post game show I feel it is not worth the money ....

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Europeans do not care so much about Stanley Cup finals, if their countrymen or favorite players are not playing. There are of course hard core fans, but not so many. Other North American sports series are even less followed, although you could see basketball, baseball, american football, nascar and others live from different sports channels. .

I think a lot of people would follow NHL and even those other series a lot more if it wasn't for the time difference. I mean, to most of us it's just not really possible to watch matches that start at 2 am or 4 am etc.

I did, of course, follow Detroit (and the Milwaukee Admirals in the AHL) in the playoffs, which meant that on most nights I got about 3 hours of sleep. And I don't nap. Average people can't handle that, and most of those who could, just don't want to. You really do have to be a real fan of some team, not just a casual hockey fan.

I'd probably follow all of those series, if they were on at a more comfortable time of day. Well, not NASCAR, I don't give a **** about that...

Latex*

Well..

The thing that best represents the intrest towards the SC playoffs here in Finland is that unless there is a Finn scoring a goal the media coverage is close to zero. Seems comparable to the WC for Canadians.

95% of the people don't even know what the Stanley Cup is.. Finns just don't care.

+ Ville Peltonen (national team hero) is probably more appreciated as an athlete than Selänne or any other of our NHL players.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
These discussions are always hilarious because of the emotional investment people make in something so trivial.

Many Canadians act like total dicks about the WC on here. So keen to tell everyone how little they care, a bit too keen. In reality there's always a sense of insecurity involved, that some Euro upstarts may just for a moment forget that Canada is number one. I guess it relates to Canadian national identity and its problems.

Meanwhile Europeans get incredibly defensive and start making rather outlandish arguments. Hurt pride basically creates some interesting delusions. The Cup playoffs are obviously of a higher quality than the WC and I've yet to see a European player turn down the SCP because of the WC. Every European team was without a number of their best players and that happens every year. European guys will play with bad injuries in the playoffs but the slightest knock rules them out of the WC. Club hockey pays the bills and is the focus in a player's life and the NHL happens to offer the best and best-paid club hockey. National teams are diversions and often distractions , it's no different in soccer either.

So to sum it up, the WC isn't irrelevant, it has its own prestige and excitement. You have to play some good hockey against some pretty good competition to win it.

Is it best vs. best? No. Is it as big as the Olympics with NHL players ? No. Is the hockey as good as in the SCP? No. Doesn't mean it isn't a good tournament .

When asked, Elias said he would like to play if the Devils let him ... and GM had official statement that Devils will not let some players go, most notable was A.Volchenkov.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
+ Ville Peltonen (national team hero) is probably more appreciated as an athlete than Selänne or any other of our NHL players.

Not among any people I know. Perhaps your point is valid with other NHL players, but most people I know still regard at least Selänne and S. Koivu above Peltonen. Although the hype around Granlund is starting to go so far that he probably will soon be regarded higher than even Selänne among the casual hockey fans.

SwissButch

.. ehm no…
Sep 14, 2007
Murten
first off... if the Swiss TV shows a game (and they do all the medall-games) they show the awards ceremony... every time, doesn't matter which teams are playing. So I can't really understand why TSN doesn't... but who cares???

@ the guy who said the SC is a lower brand of hockey then the WHC... :help:

you can't be serious

won't comment on the KHL thing...

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris

Outlandish arguments ? Okay, which NHL team has a player like Alex Ovechkin in their fourth line.

Just on paper, take a look on Canadian, Russian or Czech rosters. Those teams would be steamrolling from Stanley Cup to another. On paper anyway ;)

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I think a lot of people would follow NHL and even those other series a lot more if it wasn't for the time difference. I mean, to most of us it's just not really possible to watch matches that start at 2 am or 4 am etc.

That´s probable. I still say that it would not interest large audience, if it was not on the national TV channel and free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->