Where's the ceremonies, TSN?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
They didn't bother showing either one, cut to commercial almost immediatly after both games.Went to analysts (Keenan) and some other guy upon return. Didn't even show the golds being given out. Very disappointing, this would have been shown if Canada was involved.:shakehead

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
I don't think I am breaking any state secrets when I say TSN is a Canadian broadcaster, and yes - they would have done things differently if Canada were playing. Shocking.

No one gets outraged if Russian TV doesn't cover Canada's games right to the bitter end. Does Russian TV even cover Canada's games?!? OMG!!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
They didn't bother showing either one, cut to commercial almost immediatly after both games.Went to analysts (Keenan) and some other guy upon return. Didn't even show the golds being given out. Very disappointing, this would have been shown if Canada was involved.:shakehead

Back at the World Juniors they showed the medal ceremony even though Russia won. Why? Because the WJC are popular here.

The fact that the game was on tape delay tells you that the tournament is taken as seriously here as in Europe. That is all.

obsenssive*

No one gets outraged if Russian TV doesn't cover Canada's games right to the bitter end. Does Russian TV even cover Canada's games?!? OMG!!

Russian TV (rossiya 2) covered every single game except for the relegation games in their entirety. I think they are the only IIHF broadcast partner to do that.

So yes, would be the answer.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Back at the World Juniors they showed the medal ceremony even though Russia won. Why? Because the WJC are popular here.

The fact that the game was on tape delay tells you that the tournament is taken as seriously here as in Europe. That is all.

They showed the World Junior one because Canada was involved(even though Canada lost). I reiterate: they show pretty much nothing if its a game not involving Canada even if its for a medal. I don't get why they can't even show a few lousy minutes. They sure shoved enough commercial breaks in.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
They showed the World Junior one because Canada was involved(even though Canada lost). I reiterate: they show pretty much nothing if its a game not involving Canada even if its for a medal. I don't get why they can't even show a few lousy minutes. They sure shoved enough commercial breaks in.

Nobody was watching the game. I'm sure they wanted to wrap up asap.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
It was disappointing that they didn't show the ceremony and disappointing that they didn't show the gold medal game live.

TSN dropped the ball in this one

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
They showed the World Junior one because Canada was involved(even though Canada lost). I reiterate: they show pretty much nothing if its a game not involving Canada even if its for a medal.

ONLY for the World Championships. World Juniors they do. I can remember when the Czechs won back in 1999 they show the medal ceremony after they beat the Russians in a shootout.
(always show the medal ceremonies at the Olympics - 1998 and 2006)

To reiterate this has everything to do with the lack of popularity of the tournament.

Did Sweden show the medal ceremonies of the Russia-Canada game at the WJC?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Nobody was watching the game. I'm sure they wanted to wrap up asap.

Good thing they aren't televising Cup finals when two "boring" teams make it

"Congrats to the Columbus blue jackets!" (show 20 seconds of hugging)

-Commercials
-Return to 90 second analysis of game not showing any post game celebrations
-10 second shot of captain holding cup
-OOh, look! 5 minutes have passed! Move on to next program PDQ!

vezna*

-Commercials

don't know about you but if CBJ goes from not making the playoffs to the SCF, i would watch that :laugh: are they hiring doug maclean as coach? :sarcasm:

it's insane to compare the SCF to this. seriously

alternity

Feb 17, 2010
Surrey, Canada

-Commercials

Are you equating the importance of the Stanley Cup finals to the World Championships in Canada?

I can understand disappointment, but not too many people will be up in arms about this one and I don't really feel TSN has dropped the ball in not catering to a select few when the audience doesn't really call for it.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Please see the rating of the SCF compared to the World Chapionships in Canada.
Even if Canada were in the Gold Medal game the SCF still wins by a mile.

VladNYC*

it's insane to compare the SCF to this. seriously

Yeah this is much more important. When are people going to understand that your domestic club league isn't god's gift to hockey? If the NHL disappeared tommorow, millions of hockey fans wouldn't care and there would still be awesome hockey other places. One of them is this great tourney, in which the rosters in any given game are better then any thing any club team can muster.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Yeah this is much more important. When are people going to understand that your domestic club league isn't god's gift to hockey? If the NHL disappeared tommorow, millions of hockey fans wouldn't care and there would still be awesome hockey other places. One of them is this great tourney, in which the rosters in any given game are better then any thing any club team can muster.
Important to who?;)

NHL hockey is the best in the world, KHL SEL SM Liga etc, can't compare. If the NHL and all its players dissapeared tomorrow hockey would be in the dark ages. Not to mention the rules and officiating are much better. Take all the nhl players out of the WC and you've got a garbage product.

obsenssive*

.... more ignorant north americans who have never even bothered to watch European club hockey, let alone the KHL.

vezna*

.... more ignorant north americans who have never even bothered to watch European club hockey, let alone the KHL.

i'm sure we're ignorant of the fact that even the best european players play in the NHL

vezna*

Stanley Cup history >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WC

i would give up canada ever winning gold again in WC if it means the Leafs makes the SCF every year

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
It was disappointing that they didn't show the ceremony and disappointing that they didn't show the gold medal game live.

TSN dropped the ball in this one

Why I'm surprised they even showed the game at all. Who would want to watch that?

VladNYC*

i'm sure we're ignorant of the fact that even the best european players play in the NHL

Between the small ice, the clutching, the fatigue and injuries of the players from the super long season, the Stanley Cup playoffs are a lower brand of hockey then is played in the WHC. In fact even the KHL playoffs are much more entertaining. There is no need to bash this tourney everytime Canada loses.

vezna*

Between the small ice, the clutching, the fatigue and injuries of the players from the super long season, the Stanley Cup playoffs are a lower brand of hockey then is played in the WHC. In fact even the KHL playoffs are much more entertaining. There is no need to bash this tourney everytime Canada loses.

i learned the past few days that there's no point arguing the significance of the SC to europeans.

KHL is filled with hasbeens and never-was. If that's more entertaining to you, then awesome

Tavaresmagicalplay*

It's a good tourny but I think you're overselling the quality of hockey.

Also there's no clutching and grabbing in the KHL? Then why is it guys like Igor Ulanov and Alexei Semenov who are prototypical clutch and grab dmen go over there and have success and why is it guys like Patrick Thoreson Niko Kapanen and Matthias Weinhandle come over and are 3rd 4th liners in the NHL and are all stars in the KHL?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Does it really matter that they didn't cover it? Would a TV station in Finland show the awards ceremony if it was Canada in the finals and they had been eliminated in the quarters?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->