Where's Don Cherry??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Teezax said:
Anyone else find it weird that he has been invisible throughout the World Cup? was the network worried?

He is just not scheduled to be on the air during it.. they are using Burke and Hrudey instead so he isn't missing.. why he isn't there is another question of course.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Scottkmlps said:
I'm pretty sure he hasn't signed a new deal with CBC yet.

The deal was signed this summer - he is back for another year (if there is one - who knows what happens if the season is cancelled)...

so you have to assume that the contract did not extend to this tournament - which as someone said is a good thing as Don and international hockey should be kept far, far apart...

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Myself found Brian Burke absolutely EXCELLENT in that role. HE should be replacing the Redneck. Unfortunately for us, Brian will find another job somewhere in the league.

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
This would have been the perfect opportunity for Don to pick on the Europeans. :D
Actually, that probably explains why he wasn't there.

I think if there's no NHL, they should just have a 3 hour Coach's Corner every Saturday night. :yo:

High flyin' Habs*

Blackshad said:
Must be because there was too many french canadians in the team.

I think so too. Or maybe because Belfour wasn't on the team?

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Could you imagine him commenting on teams like Russia, Findland, and Germany? I dont think it would be pretty for all parties involved. They might have well just moved the FCC right into the studio he was doing his show from.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
SkateLikeTheWind said:
Could you imagine him commenting on teams like Russia, Findland, and Germany? I dont think it would be pretty for all parties involved. They might have well just moved the FCC right into the studio he was doing his show from.

Cherry did commentary during the 2002 Olympics...obviously he was very rah-rah Canada but I don't remember him saying anything particularly offensive about the other sides.

Cat Called Bobcat

Dec 3, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
colonel_korn said:
Cherry did commentary during the 2002 Olympics...obviously he was very rah-rah Canada but I don't remember him saying anything particularly offensive about the other sides.

Well, he did say this about the Russians, after a Russian medalist was stripped of medal in Nordic skiing due to doping:

"I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Russians, what kind of people they are, and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too."

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
kissmeimasensfan said:
Well, he did say this about the Russians, after a Russian medalist was stripped of medal in Nordic skiing due to doping:

"I've been trying to tell you people for so long about the Russians, what kind of people they are, and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism. They're quitters and evidently they take a lot of drugs, too."

:lol:

chicpea*

Here's some info at last about his 'vacation' :
Cherry was not part of the CBC's broadcast team for the recent World Cup of Hockey. He doesn't know why and wished he was back in the broadcast booth for it.

"It hurt," he said. "I didn't think it would hurt until I sat home and saw (Ron) MacLean and everybody else there. I'm thinking `Why aren't I there?' It bothered me."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=98928&hubName=nhl

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Honus Joglund said:
I'll bet they were holding auditions for Grapes' job. Hrudy, Brian Burke, Sean Burke. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved up the ladder on HNIC. :shakehead

More likely Hrudey will be moving up. I kinda like his style.

Brian Burke will get hired by someone. If not by an NHL team, he'll get offers from TSN and CBC to be commentators. Especially since CBC has given Healy the boot (Thank God).

Sean Burke hasn't retired, so he won't be doing stuff in the booth just yet.

chicpea*

ehc73 said:
More likely Hrudey will be moving up. I kinda like his style.

Brian Burke will get hired by someone. If not by an NHL team, he'll get offers from TSN and CBC to be commentators. Especially since CBC has given Healy the boot (Thank God).

Sean Burke hasn't retired, so he won't be doing stuff in the booth just yet.
I have to agree with you (not that I mind agreeing with you). Especially about Healey. :shakehead

As for B. Burke, I thought he did a great job, especially with Ron egging him on. But he needs to be a bit more comfortable. As Canuck fans, we're used to him, but not everyone else is I gather.

As for Sean Burke, he was mediocre at best. I don't like him as a player, and I don't like him as a broadcaster. His analysis is fine, maybe even good; but his delivery is stale. And as you said, he's still playing, so it's not an issue.

Hrudey is progressing leaps and bounds but, to be honest, he is no foil for Ron. For that, we need Don, or someone as equally aggressive, but who still knows hockey.

Now, with all that said - if there were ever someone to take Ron's vaunted position, for me it could be no one other than Ian Hanomansing. He is great! He knows his hockey inside out and loves the game. On top of that, he is very personable and a respected citizen, like Ron.

my worthless 2 cents.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad