Post-Game Talk: Where's all that talent Bob?....

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If it was the odd error that would be one thing but Drai hasn’t been committed on the defensive side of the puck for a long time.

This is a team that lacks a lot and therefore needs everyone buying in.
It is the odd error. By and large draisaitl is one of the best defensive forwards on the team at ES and on the PK.

The notion that he’s not committed defensively is flat out laughable.

Drai made a bad read on the 2nd GA. He didn’t realize Kane was coming up behind him. Once he did, he tried to recover but it was too late. It was a mistake. Those happen. Every player is going to make mistakes or have an off night. Difference for the oilers is that when drai or McDavid have an off night there is no one else on the team who will pick up that slack. So drai having a bad shift gets amplified and nitpicked and bitched about endlessly as if they are the culprit for this team being garbage.

It’s nauseating.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I want it from everyone. Leaders first. I don't care if our leaders are our best guys or our talentless hacks, as long was we have some that others will follow.

The point is we do have it. The 10 times a game Drai is saving somebody else out position (normally D) it doesn't get a mention. The one time he fails to pick up the read we're talking about it hundreds of posts. One play...

Drai is 23 and an increasingly responsible player that continues to improve and has continued to improve in all facets of his game, even during this season.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
But again this is specious. Drai is one of the best forwards we have at picking up the trailer, or Defensive responsibility or covering back for a D. His willingness to do this is clear every game. Looks like I have to get back to pointing out the instances when this occur. It happened multiple times even in the game in question, but I don't have it PVRed.

You pick out one example in a game where the Oilers made countless mistakes as a team, and where no one, even McD, was engaged and your answer = Draisaitl ;)

That's what this thread is reading like.

Finally, Drai is in a unique position on this club. he would be the leader on many other clubs in the NHL but he isn't on this one because McDavid.

But more to the point all of Lucic, Larsson, McD, Nuge, even Eberle and Ference had letters on this team. Drai never has had. just saying.

This is the most disrespected top player in the league. Only Laine comes close to getting the fan scorn (for some reason) that Draisaitl gets.

No, just to be clear... as I stated in my first post... I came into this thread and witnessed the P!$$1ng match and as a big fan of Drai, sorry... I'm surprised to see people defending him on that play. You can say it's one play, it happens to everyone... that's true and that's fine. But it's also a great example of what's wrong with this team... that it should be ok for each guy to have a play like that per night.

My rule of thumb is that if a team can limit to two mistakes per shift, you are winning most games. Most mistakes on good teams are invisible because a teammate compensates.... Some are tactical errors, errors of processing, physical errors, being beat by an opponents skill. Each of those are unavoidable. It's the mental errors of disengagement that are the killers.

We need some guys, with credential with their teammates, who can say, diplomatically: no, it's not acceptable to make those sorts of mistakes, I will hold myself to that standard and I hold you to it as well.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I want it from everyone. Leaders first. I don't care if our leaders are our best guys or our talentless hacks, as long was we have some that others will follow.
Sure. Do you honestly think Draisaitl’s dogging it?
He doesn’t care about winning?
He’s not pulling his share?

Edit.... saw your post above. I get it now.
Can’t disagree.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I think that's an absolutely accurate description. I don't disagree with a word of what you've said there.

But on our 2006 team, it would have been Pisani busting his butt back into the play first to see if there was a teammate he could cover for who might have blown his coverage. THEN he would have curled back toward the blue line to pick up "his" guy on the point once and if the opponent had sustained pressure in our zone.

It's the difference between satisfying the scripted requirements of your job vs being in great position to support the (I agree sometimes unavoidable) mistakes of a teammate.

on the 2006 team we had Pronger out there blacking out 50% of the mistakes made by the whole team with his 30mins a night of being god back there.

We don't have any D like that, quite clearly.

Mistakes occur, by everbody. The D on this club make a lot of mistakes. They haven't been particularly good this season, arguably due to injuries and D playing outside of their comfort zone.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
just cause Draisaitl is one of the few that scores a lot, doesn't give him "leeway" to be lazy on the backcheck under any circumstances

but it was a bad error and every player does it...it's not a constant thing IMO

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The point is we do have it. The 10 times a game Drai is saving somebody else out position (normally D) it doesn't get a mention. The one time he fails to pick up the read we're talking about it hundreds of posts. One play...

Drai is 23 and an increasingly responsible player that continues to improve and has continued to improve in all facets of his game, even during this season.

It is one play. That's what I'm talking about. I agree with you generally about Draisaitl.

Why are you defending that play? It does you no good. I don't know Draisaitl, but if he is the player I think he is, he's already told the boys it was an unacceptable play on his part.

Reactions: TB12 and Raoul Duke

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
No, just to be clear... as I stated in my first post... I came into this thread and witnessed the P!$$1ng match and as a big fan of Drai, sorry... I'm surprised to see people defending him on that play. You can say it's one play, it happens to everyone... that's true and that's fine. But it's also a great example of what's wrong with this team... that it should be ok for each guy to have a play like that per night.

My rule of thumb is that if a team can limit to two mistakes per shift, you are winning most games. Most mistakes on good teams are invisible because a teammate compensates.... Some are tactical errors, errors of processing, physical errors, being beat by an opponents skill. Each of those are unavoidable. It's the mental errors of disengagement that are the killers.

We need some guys, with credential with their teammates, who can say, diplomatically: no, it's not acceptable to make those sorts of mistakes, I will hold myself to that standard and I hold you to it as well.

I'm not defending Drai on that play. I called it out in the Pgt. It was a bad play. But it was one play, and like Dnicks and Spawn and others describe it was clearly a mistake. A blown read. Drai misunderstanding in the moment that two other players who he thought would be in position were not in position.

Without the D blown positioning on the play we're not even talking about that play.

Also, due to the comedy of errors in that positioning instance if Drai follows Kane all the way down to the scoring position (instead of a D covering that) then Drai is out of position for the ensuing play and blamed on that.. heh

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
They don't even have the roster for that. Half the roster doesn't even belong in the NHL.

xxxx-McDavid-Drai
xxxx-RNH-xxxx
xxxx-xxxx-Chiasson
Lucic-Kharia-Kassian

Klefbom-xxxx
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-xxxx

xxxx
Koskinen/Talbot

8 pieces short.

xxxx-McDavid-Drai
xxxx-RNH-xxxx
xxxx-xxxx-Chiasson
xxxx-Kharia-Kassian

Klefbom-xxxx
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-xxxx

xxxx
Koskinen/Talbot

This is mine, but I think that is being generous.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
on the 2006 team we had Pronger out there blacking out 50% of the mistakes made by the whole team with his 30mins a night of being god back there.

Mistakes occur, by everbody. The D on this club make a lot of mistakes. They haven't been particularly good this season, arguably due to injuries and D playing outside of their comfort zone.

Man it was great to watch Pronger play in an Oiler jersey.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It is one play. That's what I'm talking about. I agree with you generally about Draisaitl.

Why are you defending that play? It does you no good. I don't know Draisaitl, but if he is the player I think he is, he's already told the boys it was an unacceptable play on his part.

I'm defending the player, not the play, and in context of absurd comments in this thread that the player should be scratched the next game to "send a message"

Read back on the thread to see how I got involved in the thread.

you apparently missed that part of the "party" ;)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
xxxx-McDavid-Drai
xxxx-RNH-xxxx
xxxx-xxxx-Chiasson
xxxx-Kharia-Kassian

Klefbom-xxxx
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-xxxx

xxxx
Koskinen/Talbot

This is mine, but I think that is being generous.

Pretty much agree. Maybe Rieder can be 4 LW because the guy can skate, pk ... but when you're not producing meh. Now that they are paying Koskinen 4.5mil, good luck affording another goalie.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Sure. Do you honestly think Draisaitl’s dogging it?
He doesn’t care about winning?
He’s not pulling his share?

Edit.... saw your post above. I get it now.
Can’t disagree.

I honestly don't get it, because I don't follow what "It" is. Never making a mistake?

Its one of those instances where something is not being conveyed clearly. Being that you detected "it" heh, fill us in. ;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Pretty much agree. Maybe Rieder can be 4 LW because the guy can skate, pk ... but when you're not producing meh. Now that they are paying Koskinen 4.5mil, good luck affording another goalie.

Koskinen may be our teams next albatross contract.
Koskinen I think might be Swedish for Darling.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Sure, and our goaltending too has been suspect.

But just to put a perspective spin for you: until players lose the "offense does offense, D does D, G stops the puck" attitude, this team will continue to lose.

Drai's mistake there is the intellectual equivalent to Talbot or Koskinen forgetting to look around the screen in front of him to pick up the puck. Drai's main job there is to pick up a man. He gets so distracted he forgets his main job. It's analogous to Talbot/Kosko losing concentration and failing to even try to fight through a screen while a simple wrister hits the back of the net. You can't really fault them for not seeing it... or can you?

These guys have all got to start holding each other to the highest standard of HONESTY as teammates. Put in the honest effort on every play and good things will happen.

We don't have a Pronger anymore... but that's what he did... and, forgetting his obvious physical talent... that type of leadership was contagious.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It is the odd error. By and large draisaitl is one of the best defensive forwards on the team at ES and on the PK.

The notion that he’s not committed defensively is flat out laughable.

Drai made a bad read on the 2nd GA. He didn’t realize Kane was coming up behind him. Once he did, he tried to recover but it was too late. It was a mistake. Those happen. Every player is going to make mistakes or have an off night. Difference for the oilers is that when drai or McDavid have an off night there is no one else on the team who will pick up that slack. So drai having a bad shift gets amplified and nitpicked and *****ed about endlessly as if they are the culprit for this team being garbage.

It’s nauseating.

Sorry no. Drai is on the wrong end of a lot of those.

I don’t want him gone but I want him to make more of an effort on the defensive side.

Reactions: HK97

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Man it was great to watch Pronger play in an Oiler jersey.

Man he was good.

A one man maching on the blueline. Wingspan of an albatross, Defensive IQ through the roof.

That one year of Pronger was so satisfying as a fan. Truly one of the greatest defenseman ever.

watching guys like Larsson, Russell, Nurse, Klefbom, Benning etc flub pucks, miss defensive assignments and just plain be out of position so often makes you miss a guy like that

Just putting a prime Pronger with this team we win the cup.

Reactions: Raoul Duke and TB12

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
If it was the odd error that would be one thing but Drai hasn’t been committed on the defensive side of the puck for a long time.

This is a team that lacks a lot and therefore needs everyone buying in.

bang on. there's that bs that drivesailt tries to peddle about drai's defensive commitment.... honestly i wouldn't be as pissed with that complete brain fart if drai was more committed and set better examples defensively and just flat out overall reponsibility and playing the right way, battling the right way on a much more consistent basis.

i'm pissed because i've been seeing this pattern for 2 years now.... not all the time but like i've said, way more often than should be happening.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
It bothers me people call Drai lazy.

I think Drai is "Lazy" because he doesn't have the motor to keep up to McDavid for 25 mins a night.

It's a reason why when he was with Hall he faded in January, just plain spent.

Drai has to conserve himself because of having to play with McDavid which will result in "Lazy" plays. Coaches will have to learn how to manage the ice time of McDavids linemates for the next few years

Reactions: space321 and Duke74

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Just joining the "party" late.

For the record, I am a HUGE Drai fan. When he's trying he's legit one of the best players in the game. But come on guys... that's not a "mistake", it's a complete lack of effort, which is NEVER, EVER acceptable on a team sport, especially if you are meant to be one of its leaders.

I've noticed that Drai is one of those guys who coasts to the bench more than others, it frustrates me to see it... I'm sure he thinks it is meaningless, until it isn't. True maturity comes when you know enough to skate the full shift every shift... the only time you coast is when you are 100% sure you are in the perfect position on the ice and even then your head is on a swivel.

It's called being engaged. We are never going to be a winning team until we have guys that are fully engaged when they are on the ice and on the bench. After that... yes, there will still be mistakes, but a good team can always cover for a teammates honest mistakes.

It's the dishonest mistakes that kill you and destroy your culture.

bang on! it's about engagement. i love drais' size and skill and ability to make plays but his engagement level, far too often, is less than desirable.

love the quote about dishonest mistakes. bang on. i hate how some make it seem like it was just an honest mistake. it was blatantly irresponsible what he did on kane's goal. zero excuses for that. team was still in the game at 1-0. that 2-0 goal crushed the team.... especially how it went down with one of your best players making a complete a$$, lack of engagment and care play like that.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
No. You just can't have a controller disconnect moment like that. In a game that big. He just gave up.

Has nothing to do with how good he is. He is vital for this team.

When you see guys like him or McJesus busting their a**, it can motivate the rest of the bums we have on the team.

absolutely, it's more about how it affects the team rather than singling out one mistake. critical game, critical juncture of it, easy play to stop... makes a complete lack of effort and engagement play like that. inexcusable. this is supposed to be one of the team that you rely heavily on and you sit on the bench and watch him make a complete s*** play like that to put you down 2 goals??terrible leadership. if your best players do that, it really sucks the life out of the bench.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Exactly, and thank you. My first look at that is where is the left side D, where did they vacate to and how often does this serially occur on this team (lots)

The key is the bolded.
that's all it is. Its not about not trying, about being lazy, giving up. Its about a late read in the fastest game on the planet. I also think he didn't pick up Kane who maybe even came in on a line change. Anybody got the full back up on that play? Would be nice to see replays with all ice so you could pick up stuff like that.

The game looks easy on our cozy coaches with camera views that are looking down on the action and in SLOW MOTION. Not the same as being there.

bs. it was 100% either or a combination of laziness or complete disengagement on drai's part there. wasn't a difficult read to make. the center drive came and very obvious connor wasn't there for it and klef shifted over. not rocket science to cover up the late man as he was by far the best option to cover it.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I honestly don't get it, because I don't follow what "It" is. Never making a mistake?

Its one of those instances where something is not being conveyed clearly. Being that you detected "it" heh, fill us in. ;)

I assume he’s condemning the play, not the player, and that the player should take ownership of it.
(He probably did.)
These plays should be unacceptable in general.

I can’t disagree with that but I’m with you, there was more going on than just Drai’s misread.

I also think there’s more going on in this thread than criticizing one play. Oil fans like to eat their young and this is how it starts.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Some are tactical errors, errors of processing, physical errors, being beat by an opponents skill. Each of those are unavoidable. It's the mental errors of disengagement that are the killers.

We need some guys, with credential with their teammates, who can say, diplomatically:
no, it's not acceptable to make those sorts of mistakes, I will hold myself to that standard and I hold you to it as well.

:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->