Where would you rather finish at the end of the regular season?

Where would you rather the Montreal Canadiens finish this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Why? he just turned 26, he's a pure gem for the kids developpement. he's still a very valuable player to have on your team. i don't see gallagher decliner, he has a VERY VERY Similar development curve than Marchand, craziest part is they play the same kind of game, same size, same weight but Marchand has been playing with bergeron for years, i would realy like to have a crystal ball and put gallagher on the bruins along Bergeron and marchand on the habs and compare their stats. Gallagher was going HARD before his 2 hands injury wich led to a bad season...
marchand realy broke out in his 7th year, 6th fulled season. if you remove gallaghers bad season from his hand injury, their season are almost the same and this year and if he follows marchand trend he would likely pull 60pts this season and start being a ppg player after that. That would be when kotkaniemi and peohling would join. I realy wouldn't rule it out. kid isnt fancy but he's effective.

He takes a lot of abuse with his style of play, I would be surprised if his body doesn't start to wear down in say 4 or so years. We could suck for a long time and Gallagher might be our best trade chip. If the Avs called and said we want him and we'll give you the Sens 1st for say him and Petry at 50% you have to take it. That said this management team wouldn't do imo. They will try to limp into the playoffs and we'll trade Gallagher when he's broken down and way past his prime unless we get a new GM.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He takes a lot of abuse with his style of play, I would be surprised if his body doesn't start to wear down in say 4 or so years. We could suck for a long time and Gallagher might be our best trade chip. If the Avs called and said we want him and we'll give you the Sens 1st for say him and Petry at 50% you have to take it. That said this management team wouldn't do imo. They will try to limp into the playoffs and we'll trade Gallagher when he's broken down and way past his prime unless we get a new GM.

As exciting as getting OTT's 1st is, that's a lot to give for a draft pick and getting rid of your only decent offensive RD while Weber is out. I understand that you want to tank, but this is a bot much. Sure would set us up for two shots at a really good pick in the first round, though.

Personally, I'd rather make such a trade for a bluechip prospect that will be a 1st pairing D or a 1st line C. It will be hard to sell getting rid of 3 30-goal scorers if we also move Pacioretty and, when we do move Byron, a 20-goal scorer to boot.

In one season, that would be 110 - 115 potential Gs out the door! WOW.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As exciting as getting OTT's 1st is, that's a lot to give for a draft pick and getting rid of your only decent offensive RD while Weber is out. I understand that you want to tank, but this is a bot much. Sure would set us up for two shots at a really good pick in the first round, though.

Personally, I'd rather make such a trade for a bluechip prospect that will be a 1st pairing D or a 1st line C. It will be hard to sell getting rid of 3 30-goal scorers if we also move Pacioretty and, when we do move Byron, a 20-goal scorer to boot.

In one season, that would be 110 - 115 potential Gs out the door! WOW.

in order to get what should be a top 5 pick pre lotto in what is shaping up to be a strong draft at the top, you will need to give up a lot. Maybe they get something else in return, who knows as it's a moot point since management isn't smart enough to see the ship has sailed.

I'd rather get picks then prospects, I want players that by the time they are here, MB, Julien are long gone.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Wouldn't trade gally, I'm all about the tank, but you need some veterans around or else you'll end up like the Oilers. I prefer to keep Gally around for some inspiration, role-model for our youth. Not interested in dealing him tbh, but like everyone, if a blow your mind offer comes up, you take it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wouldn't trade gally, I'm all about the tank, but you need some veterans around or else you'll end up like the Oilers. I prefer to keep Gally around for some inspiration, role-model for our youth. Not interested in dealing him tbh, but like everyone, if a blow your mind offer comes up, you take it.

but he's your best trade chip, career year, good contract. Most of our players we can trade, we won't get much for. If we were to rebuild, which I don't think we are, you have trade your best asset. Bring back guys like Pleks, washed up vets that can teach the young players, you don't need to keep Gallagher around when he's your best shot at getting something really good unless Price is back to his old ways, wants to be traded and the Habs eat a couple Million off his contract.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I get what you are saying but I don't think his value would be any higher than it is now, and this team needs more future assets.

I would feel happy for a guy like him to move on, as you'll never see a guy bring it game in and game out as consistently as he does. He belongs on a winner.

Even if you trade him, there's still other veterans around.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
but he's your best trade chip, career year, good contract. Most of our players we can trade, we won't get much for. If we were to rebuild, which I don't think we are, you have trade your best asset. Bring back guys like Pleks, washed up vets that can teach the young players, you don't need to keep Gallagher around when he's your best shot at getting something really good unless Price is back to his old ways, wants to be traded and the Habs eat a couple Million off his contract.
He's our best trade chip because he's a valuable player, you don't have to give everyone away to rebuild. He should be a part of the rebuild, we should be looking to move Weber/Price maybe Petry, Shaw, those types and Patches you have to move imo, you can't sign him long term, not now.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He's our best trade chip because he's a valuable player, you don't have to give everyone away to rebuild. He should be a part of the rebuild, we should be looking to move Weber/Price maybe Petry, Shaw, those types and Patches you have to move imo, you can't sign him long term, not now.

I agree. A rebuild will be God Awful if the youngsters aren't properly surrounded and that means more than just having veterans around. Skilled, dependable veterans who can lead by example count as much, especially when the going gets tough for a kid.

I don't think we can move Price -- especially if it's not what he wants. Even if he wants to move, he'll decide where he wants to go. We saw what the return was for Roy in the same predicament (although, hopefully, in a different scenario). Trading price won't net you as good a return as you would like and, for that, holding back salary sounds even worse.

Weber, I'd have traded if he hadn't been injured since I believe that the return would have been worth it. Now, I'd hold onto him as part of the rebuild, with weber as a mentor on the back end, hopefully for a PMD on the left side (no, not Mete, someone even better).

The rest (Patches, Petry, Shaw, Schlemko, Benn, Byron) I'd trade for maximum return. None of these guys will be part of the rebuild, IMO, and none are essential to mentor up and coming youngsters. Patches, petty and, perhaps, even Shaw and benn should hold some value, for different reasons. Schlemko? Unless he is showcased this year to establish a value after missing most of last season and looking only so-so upon his return, he isn't worth much on the market. Mind you, a late pick would be enough, IMO.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think the Price contract is movable, even if you eat 2 million per year. Noone should be committing to a volatile position like goaltending for 8 years, especially at a premium. I don't think he'd have value at 8-8.5 million x 8 years, let alone 10.5 x 8, but I like Price, so I am trying to put that aside so I can root for him going forward. That contract is beyond brutal, but MB announced it after letting Radulov/Markov walk thinking it would buy him a grace period with the fans, not realizing it was a terrible deal that most fans were against from the beginning.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

and if you don't trade your best trade chip, what's the point of it, to get mostly mid round picks? The rebuild could take several years, but he could speed it up if he's moved by getting a very valuable 1st round pick in what is looking to be a strong draft.

Weber you trade but the guy is looking at missing a full year of hockey and has a terrible contract. Sure we could retain to improve the return but until teams see he's 100% healthy and not impacted by the injury he's likely a Hab. He's got to go at some point since he should get us something good to really good depending on how his game is once he's back.

Price you can't trade, as in NMC so you can only trade him if he wants out and then he picks the team and then you have his contract to worry about. A very tough situation, our only hope is that he regains his form and wants out at some point. The way his contract is, he gets 30M over the first 2 seasons of the deal then 22.75M over the next 2. After that they stand a much better chance of moving him as long as he's playing well. He will be owed 31.25M over the final 4 years so if you retain some, and he's willing to go at least he won't make as much money.

Petry is a must trade for me as well, coming off a career year, we need to trade him at peak value.

Shaw is banged up but if he can stay healthy and play well then they should get something for him especially if they retain 50%.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
and if you don't trade your best trade chip, what's the point of it, to get mostly mid round picks? The rebuild could take several years, but he could speed it up if he's moved by getting a very valuable 1st round pick in what is looking to be a strong draft.

Weber you trade but the guy is looking at missing a full year of hockey and has a terrible contract. Sure we could retain to improve the return but until teams see he's 100% healthy and not impacted by the injury he's likely a Hab. He's got to go at some point since he should get us something good to really good depending on how his game is once he's back.

Price you can't trade, as in NMC so you can only trade him if he wants out and then he picks the team and then you have his contract to worry about. A very tough situation, our only hope is that he regains his form and wants out at some point. The way his contract is, he gets 30M over the first 2 seasons of the deal then 22.75M over the next 2. After that they stand a much better chance of moving him as long as he's playing well. He will be owed 31.25M over the final 4 years so if you retain some, and he's willing to go at least he won't make as much money.

Petry is a must trade for me as well, coming off a career year, we need to trade him at peak value.

Shaw is banged up but if he can stay healthy and play well then they should get something for him especially if they retain 50%.

I can't see Price not wanting out, I'd bet he'd leave in an instant if asked to waive, wouldn't you, but yeah I agree, noone is going to take that contract on, so we are stuck with him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can't see Price not wanting out, I'd bet he'd leave in an instant if asked to waive, wouldn't you, but yeah I agree, noone is going to take that contract on, so we are stuck with him.

I can't see MB ever trading Price though since that's got to be his last hope to turn things around. But hopefully he plays much better and in 4 years maybe he'll be sick of missing the playoffs and watching a crap team and if we eat say 3M a year that gets him to a 7.5M cap hit for the final 4 years while making around 7.75M in salary.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I can't see MB ever trading Price though since that's got to be his last hope to turn things around. But hopefully he plays much better and in 4 years maybe he'll be sick of missing the playoffs and watching a crap team and if we eat say 3M a year that gets him to a 7.5M cap hit for the final 4 years while making around 7.75M in salary.

Still think it'll be hard to trade 4 years of Price at 7.5, I don't see teams lining up to do this either. Weber still has value imo, contract is more a problem for the Preds than anyone else. I think he's our best trade chip tbh, he's still got the reputation providing he doesn't completely fall off a cliff after returning from injury. He makes the most sense to move as his best years will definitely be behind him by the time we are competitive. He's not in Dion Phaneuf status quite yet,, but if we hang on too long he will be.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Still think it'll be hard to trade 4 years of Price at 7.5, I don't see teams lining up to do this either. Weber still has value imo, contract is more a problem for the Preds than anyone else. I think he's our best trade chip tbh, he's still got the reputation providing he doesn't completely fall off a cliff after returning from injury. He makes the most sense to move as his best years will definitely be behind him by the time we are competitive. He's not in Dion Phaneuf status quite yet,, but if we hang on too long he will be.

It all comes down to how much will Price rebound, if he stays the same or gets worse then he's a Hab for life for sure. But if he plays anything close to what he has in the past, with the cap going up 7.5M for 4 years shouldn't be too hard to move imo.

Weber should be one of our best trade chips, this year his contract does get much better, as he went from making 12-14M in the first 6 years of the deal, now he's in the 6M over the next 4 years which if the injury doesn't impact his speed and game too much isn't bad at all for a top pairing D even though he's about to turn 33 in a week. The final 4 years he makes 6M with 3 and then 1,1,1. I still wonder if he even plays those final years out as he'll have a ton of wear and tear on him by then and after playing for years at 14M it can't be easy at 38 or 39 and 40 to play for 1M.

Plus we can retain if need be as his 7.857143M cap hit will hurt some teams for sure. We badly need him to play well when he comes back and hope that when MB is fired, he'll be moved to a contender for something good to really good. Gallagher, Weber, Petry and Pac are our main hopes to quicken the rebuild by trading for 1st rounders over the next 2 years.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't think the Price contract is movable, even if you eat 2 million per year. Noone should be committing to a volatile position like goaltending for 8 years, especially at a premium. I don't think he'd have value at 8-8.5 million x 8 years, let alone 10.5 x 8, but I like Price, so I am trying to put that aside so I can root for him going forward. That contract is beyond brutal, but MB announced it after letting Radulov/Markov walk thinking it would buy him a grace period with the fans, not realizing it was a terrible deal that most fans were against from the beginning.

I'll repeat again. Because of its format, Price's contract will be tradeable.

Without taking a 2 mil hit, right now, it's 71mil that the other team needs to pay over 8 years because he has already recieved a 13 mil bonus on July 1st, which is a little less than 9 mil per. Granted, the cap hit is still 10,5 mil. Take a hit of 2 mil, and it's 7 mil per to pay up on 8 years, with a cap hit of 8,5.

It becomes even better as a trade value after July 1st of next year, as he will have recieved another 13 mil on top of the 2 mil salary he'll make over the 18-19 season. This means Habs will already have paid 28 of the 84 mil of the contract even before Price has started the 2nd year of his contract. This means there will be 56 mil left to pay over 7 years, 8 mil per season to pay on average in salary. Eat up 2 mil on his contract in a trade, and the other team will only need to pay him 6 mil on average over those last 7 seasons, with a cap hit of 8,5 mil.

If Price plays well next season, despite the Habs losing anyway, Price will be very tradeable.

Reactions: DAChampion

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'll repeat again. Because of its format, Price's contract will be tradeable.

Without taking a 2 mil hit, right now, it's 71mil that the other team needs to pay over 8 years because he has already recieved a 13 mil bonus on July 1st, which is a little less than 9 mil per. Granted, the cap hit is still 10,5 mil. Take a hit of 2 mil, and it's 7 mil per to pay up on 8 years, with a cap hit of 8,5.

It becomes even better as a trade value after July 1st of next year, as he will have recieved another 13 mil on top of the 2 mil salary he'll make over the 18-19 season. This means Habs will already have paid 28 of the 84 mil of the contract even before Price has started the 2nd year of his contract. This means there will be 56 mil left to pay over 7 years, 8 mil per season to pay on average in salary. Eat up 2 mil on his contract in a trade, and the other team will only need to pay him 6 mil on average over those last 7 seasons, with a cap hit of 8,5 mil.

If Price plays well next season, despite the Habs losing anyway, Price will be very tradeable.

True enough oyz, when you look at the actual contract you might be able to get out from underneath it. I still think it'll be hard to extract any value in a trade, but you might be able to get out of the contract after you've paid a 3rd of it. Still don't see teams taking on a 10.5 million dollar caphit.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
True enough oyz, when you look at the actual contract you might be able to get out from underneath it. I still think it'll be hard to extract any value in a trade, but you might be able to get out of the contract after you've paid a 3rd of it. Still don't see teams taking on a 10.5 million dollar caphit.

A cash strapped team trying to move up will be interested and there will be a few of those. They won't mind the cap hit and will relish the lower salary.

Quick examples, Buffalo, Carolina and Zona

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A cash strapped team trying to move up will be interested and there will be a few of those. They won't mind the cap hit and will relish the lower salary.

People always talk about this, but how many such trades have we seen?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Quick examples, Buffalo, Carolina and Zona

I always hear about these teams needing the high cap hits to reach the floor etc which always sounds good in theory, but never really happens. I think the truth is a shitty cap hit is a shitty cap hit even for internal budget teams. They don't want that caphit limiting their flexibility anymore than anyone else. In fact, I'd argue even less so, they have to do more with less, so staying away from a 10.5 million dollar caphit is even more important to them. There are always other alternatives to get to the floor and ones that offer more flexibility.

I think those teams are actually less likely to take it on.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I always hear about these teams needing the high cap hits to reach the floor etc which always sounds good in theory, but never really happens. I think the truth is a ****ty cap hit is a ****ty cap hit even for internal budget teams. They don't want that caphit limiting their flexibility anymore than anyone else. In fact, I'd argue even less so, they have to do more with less, so staying away from a 10.5 million dollar caphit is even more important to them. There are always other alternatives to get to the floor and ones that offer more flexibility.

I think those teams are actually less likely to take it on.

I never talked about reaching the cap floor. I'm simply saying that cash strapped teams are never up against the cap, so they mostly always have room for Price's cap hit, and they'd stay away from his full salary, but if it can be reduced to 6 or 7 mil per year, that's the kind of discount they'd be looking for.

Your logic about them staying away from the high cap hit doesn't make sense.

People always talk about this, but how many such trades have we seen?
How many similar trades to Subban for Weber have you seen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OldCraig71

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I never talked about reaching the cap floor. I'm simply saying that cash strapped teams are never up against the cap, so they mostly always have room for Price's cap hit, and they'd stay away from his full salary, but if it can be reduced to 6 or 7 mil per year, that's the kind of discount they'd be looking for.

Your logic about them staying away from the high cap hit doesn't make sense.

Well not if they intend on staying at the floor it doesn't make sense, but I think teams would still want the flexibility to make a move, but yeah you're right, don't know what I was thinking there haha.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well not if they intend on staying at the floor it doesn't make sense, but I think teams would still want the flexibility to make a move, but yeah you're right, don't know what I was thinking there haha.

I have to say though, I don't think it will happen. I'm saying he'll be tradeable, IF he plays well and IF there's a will to trade him, whether it's his demand or the Habs.

But aside from him wanting to leave, I don't see the Habs doing it. Simply because if they need to eat up 2 mil on the trade, they will have paid him half his entire contract for ONE season of play. That would be disastrous, financially speaking, no way Molson signs off on that, unless, as I said, it's because Price wants to leave.

Imagine if it happened though. How bad this would look, on top of everything else. Just wow.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I have to say though, I don't think it will happen. I'm saying he'll be tradeable, IF he plays well and IF there's a will to trade him, whether it's his demand or the Habs.

But aside from him wanting to leave, I don't see the Habs doing it. Simply because if they need to eat up 2 mil on the trade, they will have paid him half his entire contract for ONE season of play. That would be disastrous, financially speaking, no way Molson signs off on that, unless, as I said, it's because Price wants to leave.

Imagine if it happened though. How bad this would look, on top of everything else. Just wow.

Yeah, agreed, it's not unthinkable to imagine Price might want to get the hell out of dodge at some point either, tbh, I'm surprised he's not there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad