Where would Valimaki go in a re-draft?

Where would Valimaki go in a redraft?

• Total voters

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
But such an odd one, Valimaki has been very solid defensively (other than the 1st game) and has started to show a little flare on the offensive side. While kailer is supposed to be an offensive winger and he only has 1 pt to his name
Kailer has been pretty great defensively. Been on the PK too

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He made the bottom pairing on a team know for it's defense more than anything. He's not exactly ripping it up either, but playing as a bottom pairing D with sheltered minutes doesn't mean anything when it comes to future projections, especially one year after the draft, and especially given the defensive position.
O thats right there was a Valimaki vs Liljegren poll today. This post makes more sense after I remembered that :laugh:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He made the bottom pairing on a team know for it's defense more than anything. He's not exactly ripping it up either, but playing as a bottom pairing D with sheltered minutes doesn't mean anything when it comes to future projections, especially one year after the draft, and especially given the defensive position.

Uhh, yes it does. He's one of three defenseman drafted in 2017 to play more than 5 games so far this year, the others being Jokiharju and Heiskanen(go Finland!). He beat out a 24 year old Kulak for a spot and honestly beat him pretty handily. Kulak's not great but by no means looks out place in this league. The points don't show it but he's also been better than Stone, who's in his 9th year and is a quality bottom pairing defender.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
11-15

Players that are ahead

Hischier
Pettersson
Patrick
Heiskanen
Makar
Glass
Middlestadt
Necas
Brannstrom
Jokiharju
Thomas

For sure

He's in the next group.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Uhh, yes it does. He's one of three defenseman drafted in 2017 to play more than 5 games so far this year, the others being Jokiharju and Heiskanen(go Finland!). He beat out a 24 year old Kulak for a spot and honestly beat him pretty handily. Kulak's not great but by no means looks out place in this league. The points don't show it but he's also been better than Stone, who's in his 9th year and is a quality bottom pairing defender.

And Luke Schenn made the NHL at 18 and had a fantastic first season. Projecting years in the future this has no impact at all on who is better.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I could see him leapfrogging Foote and Brannstrom as the dmen taken just before him, but I don't think the teams that took a forward would consider taking a Dman instead. But those guys seem pretty close in calibre, so it's possible the teams still take the same guy.

I think he's easily in the same tier of quality of player as the 5-6 guys above him, but positional need is also a factor of BPA, so some teams took the forward due to need since the players were sitting in the same tier (and thus equal value in terms of BPA).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
And Luke Schenn made the NHL at 18 and had a fantastic first season. Projecting years in the future this has no impact at all on who is better.

So did Seth Jones, and just like Schenn what he did bears little to no relevance on what Valimaki will do. Much like the impact people on the internet bickering about where'd they'd go in a re-draft has on who is better. What actually does matter is that he is playing in the NHL in his D+1 year, that absolutely can be considered when projecting what kind of player he'll turn into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad