Where would Sabres team finish in AHL?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
They've been called an AHL team over and over again. Where would the current team rank? Out of playoffs? Contender? Easily win?

I don't watch the AHL at all so I have no real concept of the overall level of play relative to the NHL. I've been to a couple of games over the years but that's not enough to judge.

I'm serious. The current team as constituted. No call ups already on the AHL in Rochester but the current 20-22 in Buffalo. Include Hackett or anyone else now up with the team today.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hodgson and Foligno were ~ppg players last time they played in the AHL. Deslauriers scored nearly 20 goals. The Sabres are terrible, but they would crush actual AHL teams.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
They would easily win. Guys like Grigorenko, Armia, Larsson, etc. who aren't fully ready to play in the NHL yet are legit top-6 players down there. Guys like Ennis, Girgensons, Myers, etc. would just dominate down there.

Even the totally inept (Aka: Meszaros, Benoit) would be above average AHL'ers.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
We'd win it. Ennis would be the best forward in the league by a mile.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
They'd win the Calder Cup. Just like that 0-16 Detroit Lions team would have won the NCAA National Championship if they played in a college conference.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
The gap between the NHL and AHL is ENORMOUS.

We'd dominate.

Hmmm....maybe you are onto something here! Switch to the AHL and become a dynasty!

:laugh:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The gap between the NHL and AHL is ENORMOUS.

We'd dominate.

Hmmm....maybe you are onto something here! Switch to the AHL and become a dynasty!

:laugh:

I don't doubt people who say we'd dominate but there are guys on this team who DO NOT make any other NHL team right now. Does that automatically make them top AHL players? The AHL I have seen is just terrible. It's so slow and the passing makes it almost unwatchable. I prefer junior for excitement.

And I question whether Meszaros would be even adequate in the AHL. When you fall, you fall fast in this game. Remember Rivet? We were still playing him and half a year later he could only make the ECHL.
There is a lot of junk on this roster that will be completely out of hockey extremely soon.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to call Rivet an ECHL player. He was playing near home in upstate New York as he wanted to do. He was probably really an AHL'er. If memory serves me right about that situation.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to call Rivet an ECHL player. He was playing near home in upstate New York as he wanted to do. He was probably really an AHL'er. If memory serves me right about that situation.

I don't. He was so slow at the end, it was downright scary.

As for the AHL, let's remember Nolan is still coach.:laugh:

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't. He was so slow at the end, it was downright scary.

As for the AHL, let's remember Nolan is still coach.:laugh:

Oh yeah, Rivet was slow as molasses. But I think he specifically wanted to play in Elmira because it was close to home or something and he just wanted to mentor young players and stuff. Had no aspirations to get back to the NHL.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
They would crush the AHL. If they lost a seven game series to any AHL team it'd be as big an upset as you can name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad