Where would our prospects rank once (Ras, Z, Hronek, Cholo) make the DRW?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Where would our prospects rank once (Ras, Z, Hronek, Cholo) make the DRW?

I've read numerous sources in recent weeks that have our prospects ranked between #5-#7 in the NHL. So in 2019 (or sooner), once Ras, Z, Hronek & Cholo make the team full time, how would you rank us? Assuming they all make it & we get a top 5 pick, (both extremely likely).

1. Svech... likely to make it this year as a 3rd liner
2. Veleno...most underrated draft pick, this kid will be up sometime in 2019 (2 years earlier than projected)...a steal!
3. Berggren...very likely to make it in 2+ years

Only Saarijarvi, McIssac, Turgeon & possibly Lindstrom seem like they have an NHL future.

??
Kotkinsalo
Joe Hicketts
David Pope
Givani Smith
Keith Petruzelli
Filip Larsson
Christoffer Ehn
Alec Regula
Axel Holmstrom
Jack Adams

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Hard to say, prospects from other teams are gonna make the NHL as well. Prospect pools are always best in the summer after the draft.

But if you were to take that group of prospects and compare it to all of the current prospect pools, probably late teens or early 20s? Svech is probably not well regarded around the league and the other 2 guys were just drafted.

Obviously the next draft will boost it.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
While this is a true statement, it also doesn't factor in relativity. For instance if "they all typcially fall to the bottom of the league" then which ones would be top 1/3rd vs. middle 1/3rd vs. bottom 1/3rd. SJ for example has a weak prospect pool already, so by your reasoning they'd be lower than bottom 1/3rd? My point is our top 4 are here ready to compete now or by the end of the '18-'19 season at the latest. With Svech added to that group before '19 season being very likely. + Veleno very close...I think Veleno is on the opening nights roster in '19, starts on wing, replaces AA as 3rd line winger, AA gets moved for Dman, but boosts his value by showing he can be a "#3c", if Z sticks on the Z-AA-Vanek line, his point totals might look decent as well, further boosting his trade value. Their +/- will be horribad however.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
After another ~10 picks in 2019 including possibly a top 5, we will be ranked high. We won’t drop much in the time between either, most teams have their top prospects scheduled to make the NHL (remove Dahlin+Mittlestadt from Buffalo and they fall out of the top 10 probably).

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If you're subtracting our top 4 without subtracting the other teams' top prospects: Dead Last
If you're subtracting other teams top 4 or players likely to graduate: Too much work to find out and largely irrelevant

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
There would just be too many unknowns to answer this question IMO.

1) How did our other prospects develop?
2) Who do we draft in 2019?
3) Have we signed any young prospects out of College/Europe/CHL?
4) Who graduates from other prospect systems?
5) How did prospects in other systems develop?
6) Did other systems sign any prospects out of College/Europe/CHL?
7) Who do other teams draft?

How do you comparatively rank prospect systems with this many unknowns?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Unfair to compare to other systems but “Above average” if you took the top 4 from everyteam. Ranking scale is same as HF scale. Probably influenced by recench bias but I broke them into tiers: likely good NHLers, likely NHLers, possible NHLers who i dont expect but would not be surprised to see, and then everyone else. No ranking of goalies, dont know enough about them.

Likely impact NHLers
1A. Veleno 8 B
1B. Berggren 8.5 C
No other players have as high potential or skill level as these two. Veleno is closer, but Berggren may end up beast as well

Guys who will almost certainly play in the show: Then it gets dicey and depends on if you like NHL certainty, top potential even if unlikely to reach, or nearness more.

Svechnikov 7.5 D (close, and better than Turgeon who is also pretty much NHL caliber at this time, albeit not good one)
Turgeon 6 B+
Gustav Lindstrom 7.5 C-
Jared McIssac 7 C+
Joe Hicketts, 6.5 B

Potential to play in the Show for more than a cup of coffee

Salijarvi (8.5, E)
Alec Regula (8, D)
Givani Smith (7, C): if he can get faster, he probably can be a role player
Malte Setkov (6.5 D)
Otto Kivienaki (8, G): likely wont touch the NHL but has the talent to be better than any of them but first two

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After another ~10 picks in 2019 including possibly a top 5, we will be ranked high. We won’t drop much in the time between either, most teams have their top prospects scheduled to make the NHL (remove Dahlin+Mittlestadt from Buffalo and they fall out of the top 10 probably).

Buffalo has 3x 1st for 2019 draft. Don't think they aren't falling much at next summer rankings.

I think Detroit will be high long because we will be a crap team for another 1-2 years and draft high + have multiple extra picks. And even more possible picks coming from vet trades like Howard, Nyquist etc.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well that top 5 pick is a pretty darn good player in this draft. Who do they take with the Islanders high second rounder and their own. Also what do they do with the hopeful second first rounder for Nyquist or additional second rounder from Daley perhaps. They Wings are likely to get several high picks again that restock this discussion if they do a good job at the draft again.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
At the bottom because our team sucks, our general manager should be fired into the sun and we will sign Mitch Callahan to an 8 year 75M deal next year

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think Detroit will be high long because we will be a crap team for another 1-2 years and draft high + have multiple extra picks. And even more possible picks coming from vet trades like Howard, Nyquist etc.

This is pretty much it. Having a strong prospect pool is mostly about: (a) sucking and drafting high in the first and second rounds, and (b) trading vets at the deadline for additional picks.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Well that top 5 pick is a pretty darn good player in this draft. Who do they take with the Islanders high second rounder and their own. Also what do they do with the hopeful second first rounder for Nyquist or additional second rounder from Daley perhaps. They Wings are likely to get several high picks again that restock this discussion if they do a good job at the draft again.

I really hope you're right. Pulling for a big first half from Gus... let's throw him on Larkin's wing and in the middle of PP1 :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really hope you're right. Pulling for a big first half from Gus... let's throw him on Larkin's wing and in the middle of PP1 :laugh:

I want Gus with Rasmussen if possible. I think they should have chemistry. Really a line of Ras-Nielsen-Nyquist would be interesting. Nyquist is a player that thrives with space in my opinion. Between Rasmussen's ability to command the defenses attention in the corners and the net, plus Nielsen is consistently a net driver in terms of he takes appropriate lanes and occupies people it frees Nyquist up as a playmaker. I really think he should have a good year. We will see how the lines come together.

Reactions: mantha39

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
While this is a true statement, it also doesn't factor in relativity. For instance if "they all typcially fall to the bottom of the league" then which ones would be top 1/3rd vs. middle 1/3rd vs. bottom 1/3rd. SJ for example has a weak prospect pool already, so by your reasoning they'd be lower than bottom 1/3rd? My point is our top 4 are here ready to compete now or by the end of the '18-'19 season at the latest. With Svech added to that group before '19 season being very likely. + Veleno very close...I think Veleno is on the opening nights roster in '19, starts on wing, replaces AA as 3rd line winger, AA gets moved for Dman, but boosts his value by showing he can be a "#3c", if Z sticks on the Z-AA-Vanek line, his point totals might look decent as well, further boosting his trade value. Their +/- will be horribad however.
I don't think the rankings would matter. Instead of asking which flowers smell the best it would be which trash pile smells the least bad.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am one of the few that don’t tend to be negative. Yesterday was a ****show of a day for me personally.

Not going to lie, I thought you were being sarcastic...

Sorry to hear about **** going poorly tsweeney, keep your head up.

I know I certainly have appreciated having you around for more positive spin and in my opinion productive discussions in terms of a lot of threads around here.

Mike Puck

Feb 10, 2015
Swe
I don't quite get this Veleno is a steal hype. I mean, every team in the league wants C. Guy falls like 15-20 spots and meanwhile theres reaches around league like Kotkaniemi and Hayton in the top5. So at least half of the teams think theres something wrong with Veleno. Guy looks great when he cruises with the puck in the open ice but after he gets pressured I see lots of questinable plays. I've read many times he has "great hockey sense" etc. but I can't see his hockey IQ being anything too good which leads to poor decisions quite often.

I wonder if it's pure luck or poor player evaluation that Zadina and Veleno fell to us.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I was being sarcastic cause I thought you were.

Apologies my man. That really is something I would write when I'm being uber sarcastic too. But no, it was just an absolutely gutting day between midday tuesday and midday wednesday.
Things turning around now. For real though, I would imagine that our prospects would decline in rankings big time if those four got promoted and then at the next draft they'd spike back up.

That's why most of these prospect ratings start to tend to just be noise to me. I'd much rather have Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen at the pro level doing pro level things in their D or D+1 years and have a terrible prospect pool than all of them down and us have a sterling prospect pool.

This might sound bad, but I don't really focus on the success of the Grand Rapids Griffins. When they draft Veleno or Berggren, I'm thinking about them scoring goals and setting up plays in a Winged Wheel, not in those sweet sweet Griffins jerseys (seriously, I love the blue ones with the Griffin logo. They're sexy as hell).

If I can get 2-3 quality NHL players every other year from my drafting and development, that's all I really care about. The rest of the minor league team can be guys playing for the love of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad