Where would Luc Bourdon fit in, today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Assuming he never left in FA or anything, I'd speculate that his presence would have prevented MG from going after Ballard, but probably he would have still tried to land Hamhuis, so possibly top 4, or a respectable 5th.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
He had amazing physical tools. Needed to develop better habits in his own end, but if he made the transition, he'd easily have been a top 4 dman. Interesting to note that his partner in the Q, Letang, has become a premier dman. I wonder if Luc would have become Vinny to Letang's Richards.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Bourdon - edler
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Tanev - Ballard

Garrison signing did not happen

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
He wouldn't have been that good but he would be a steady performer in our top 6.

i think he had more offensive up side than Staal but not the same physical and defensive game. We could use Bourdon on PP we have now.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
I always though he would of turned out to be as good as Edler offensively better defensively but less physical. But i could be out to lunch. He hadent yet reached his full potential though that was clear.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Top-4 for sure, maybe even Top-2 if he developed his offensive game.

Edler - Bourdon
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Tanev - Ballard

Garrison never happens if we got Luc.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
As some said, top 4 easily. With top 2 potential IMO.

If he could play the right side, would have been perfect.

Edler - Bourdon
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

RIP.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Pretty pointless making a lineup with 4 years of roster decisions (instead of 4.5) and just throwing Bourdon in there.

The Canucks have made a concerted effort to get more mobile on the blue line since a couple of years after Bourdon's death, maybe they don't trade for Keith Ballard (or maybe they do and sit out UFA that year, passing on Dan Hamhuis) because they've got Bourdon in the fold. He'll maybe they don't even go in that direction because they can pair speedy guys up with slower players like Mitchell and Ohlund.

Maybe they pass on Christian Ehrhoff.

Maybe they dangled one of Bourdon or Edler for a young forward back when we were desperate for talent upfront.. Deal a defenseman for a legit forward instead of taking a shot on say, Steve Bernier.

Could have been anything.

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
Garrison, Ballard out. Some other defenceman here instead. I feel like Hamhuis has been on MG's list for awhile, and the other three have been here from the start.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Better than Edler that's for sure.

Doubt it.

Edler was better then Bourdon at the same age.

That said Bourdon would likely have been a quality top4 and a big asset.

He was big, fast, and had a great shot. Not sure about his defensive game but probably good enough to be a second pairing guy.

That was a major loss he would have been 25/26 now and just entering his prime. He was also a righty so yeah could have been a long term partner with Edler.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Doubt it.

Edler was better then Bourdon at the same age.

That said Bourdon would likely have been a quality top4 and a big asset.

He was big, fast, and had a great shot. Not sure about his defensive game but probably good enough to be a second pairing guy.

That was a major loss he would have been 25/26 now and just entering his prime. He was also a righty so yeah could have been a long term partner with Edler.

bourdon shoots left..

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Top-4 for sure, maybe even Top-2 if he developed his offensive game.

Edler - Bourdon
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Tanev - Ballard

Garrison never happens if we got Luc.

Garrison probably did, no Ballard as an insurrance deal for Hamhuis though

Edler Bourdon
Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Tanev

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sucks that he died. But it's hard to tell what he would have been.

He had a great shot and size and his mobility was decent.

Probably top 4.

May 31, 2006
Bottom pairing d-man. Big guy with a hard shot but he was an average skater with bad hockey sense.

Should have drafted Kopitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad