Where would Konstantinov be ranked?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I see it the same way as you do, but I don't see the gaps to be as significant. I did see a lot of Foote being on the West Coast, but I just don't see Stevens during that time period being twice the player Foote was. He was better, but it wasn't night and day, IMO.

Konstantinov, had he played out his career, could have been better than Foote (especially considering how much he scored in a shut down role), and probably gotten close to the level of shut-down Stevens. But he'd never be the complete defenseman Stevens was prior to 94/95, which would hurt him in an all-time ranking.
I'm with you pit, I think they likely would have ended up Stevens/Konstantinov/Foote in the end, but thats all speculation on my part, I don't know if that would have translated into a Norris, though I wouldn't have been surprised to see him get a couple of nominations over the years.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I see it the same way as you do, but I don't see the gaps to be as significant. I did see a lot of Foote being on the West Coast, but I just don't see Stevens during that time period being twice the player Foote was. He was better, but it wasn't night and day, IMO.

Personally, if you take out the intimidation factor, Foote was better defensively than Stevens.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Another thing to consider would be a factor like how many more Cup would Detroit have won with a in-his-prime Konstantinov? 1998 of course, but would a Lidstrom/Konstantinov in their prime paired with those incredible forwards have been able to win one of more times between 1999-2001? Detroit's biggest weakness that time was a second pairing shutdown defenseman to go against the likes of a Forsberg/Sakic. That injury really might have derailed the last chance a team had at becoming a true dynasty. Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Murphy (and later Chelios).....I think Vladdie earns them at least 1 more Cup. That means you are looking at a shutdown guy who owns 4 Cups (or more) at the expense of Cups for Stevens and/or Foote. Is Stevens only had his 1995 Cup (and maybe 1 more) compared to 4 (or more) for Konstantinov, would that change things?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Geez I never realized Lidstrom has been around this long,talk about flying under the radar. I'd bet most marginal fans have barely heard of him.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
While I think it's premature to say he was a lcok Hall of Famer I believe it would have happened. I think he would have won the Vezina in 86 & 87 making it three in a row, with long playoff runs on an excellent team.

IMO he would have been the best goalie in the world from 84-90.

I think some guy named Hextall would have claimed otherwise. Or would the Flyers not even have drafted him had Lindburgh lived? I can't remember when they got his rights, but he would have obviously have pushed hard to become the starter (as he was in 1986-87) in Philly. Not saying he was better than Pelle (although I guess I DO think so, seeing as how we will never see Lindburgh's best years), but he was obviously pretty good in the late 80's (even though he was one of the dirtiest players in hockey at the time) and very early 90's.

JMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad