Where would Bergeron go in '04

Status
Not open for further replies.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
I like Ryder but he IS 24. Bergeron is only 18. IF Bergeron's upside is limited to around 65 points as most on this board seem to think then you are probably right.

But if that's the case, Bergeron is approaching his peak. I see no sign of this at all.

From what we have seen so far, Bergeron went from BantamAA to Midget AAA to Junior Major to NHL 2nd liner in 3 years.
How can somebody seriously assume that he has already peaked after such improvements in this short lapse of time?
Chances are that we will see him improving at a frenetic pace in the next two-three years also.His mindset and attitude are focused that way and he is a perfectionist in all aspects of his game.
The mental maturity exhibited this year warrants that call.

He will be a serious contender for a top spot in the NHL in the years to come.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
CBJSlash said:
Granted this comparison is a little off, but go with me.

Bergeron 18 years old 16 goals (7 PP) 23 assists 39 points (2nd rounder)
Trevor Letowski 22 years old 19 goals (3 PP)20 assists 39 points.(7th rounder)

I include the rounds the players were drafted in to say that a lot of 7th rounders don't play in the NHL at 22 years old either. Similar to 2nd rounders at 18.

Letowski was impressive his rookie year on a decent Phoenix team and hasn't done anything much since.

So to say the Bergeron is will be a star, and he is proven, is a bit of a stretch.

That comparison really doesn't make much sense. There two different types of players (Bergeron is by far more complete player), Bergeron is younger, Bergeron was a 2nd round pick and was coveted by Boston, and Bergeron has improved at a rapid pace for a couple years now, and that rapid pace improvement is still going.

A comparison of Letowski and Ryder is much more closer...

Bergeron reminds me of Yzerman, not skillwise exactly, but has great leadership potential, desire to win, and seems to have the potential to carry a team in the playoffs, much like what Primeau did for Philly this playoffs. I see that coming from him.

I also see a point per game player in him for the regular season. He definitely has the skills for it, I don't see how people who've watched him can say he don't have the potential to do so.

I really hope there's a next year, Bergeron is one of the reasons why I want to watch B's games so bad now, and I really want to see how he develops. I clearly am one who's got high hopes on the guy.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Looks like a few of you are still upset that the Bruins " stole " Bergeron in the 2nd round last year. That means that just about every team had at least one chance to draft him. He is a big part of the Bruins future and has " star "
written all over him - maybe ( please Hockey Gods ) even a " superstar ".

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Apart from Ovechkin and Malkin in this year's draft, who else has proved that he can step in the NHL this year and do as well as Bergie?
Also there is always a possibility that one of these two does not deliver the same.
The question really was:
In retrospect, where would you have drafted Bergeron this year? My answer: at the top as he is the best 18 years old last year in the NHL on a strong draft.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
chsb said:
Apart from Ovechkin and Malkin in this year's draft, who else has proved that he can step in the NHL this year and do as well as Bergie?
Also there is always a possibility that one of these two does not deliver the same.
The question really was:
In retrospect, where would you have drafted Bergeron this year? My answer: at the top as he is the best 18 years old last year in the NHL on a strong draft.

Also youngest of the top group!

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Just because a player breaks into the league quicker than other players doesn't mean he's going to be better long term.

I like Bergeron, but there's some over-reacting here. He's opened some eyes, but I bet most teams haven't changed their evaluations of him much from last year.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Knowing what we know, I would say top 10. And people please, give the kid more then one year before you start throwing the superstar label at him. And that goes for all rookies ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad