Where would Bergeron go in '04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If Bergeron was 2 months younger he would be an '04. Assuming he had won a "tryout with the Bruins" and had special exemption from the NhL to play if he made it, and then played like he did the past year, where would he go in the draft?

Beakermania*

He would go top 5 for sure, probably 3rd after ovechin and malkin.

Beakermania*

sharkyz15 said:
I would say top 15, top 5 is still way to high for him
If we didnt kno what he would turn out to be, I would say top 25 for sure

I would normally agree but this is a very weak draft year.

Thats why i say top 5 given the stipulations in the question.
If we don't know how he turns out, i say top 20 in this years class.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Beakermania said:
He would go top 5 for sure, probably 3rd after ovechin and malkin.

Not a top 5 for sure. Bergeron will never be a SUPERSTAR in the NHL. He will be a good player but nothing more. in the 2004 draft, all the player in the top 10 could turn to be better than Bergeron so I would say, if we know he would have a great rookie season, he would have goes in the top 15...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
sharkyz15 said:
If we knew what he would turn put to be
I would say top 15, top 5 is still way to high for him
If we didnt kno what he would turn out to be, I would say top 25 for sure

Last year "not knowing how he would turn out" they had him 45th.

"NHLwise" he outperformed them all although a 9(?) month older Zherdev was close.

Just wondering where he would be picked "knowing" what we "know".

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Not a top 5 for sure. Bergeron will never be a SUPERSTAR in the NHL. He will be a good player but nothing more. in the 2004 draft, all the player in the top 10 could turn to be better than Bergeron so I would say, if we know he would have a great rookie season, he would have goes in the top 15...

So we're cranking out "SUPERSTARS" at a 5 per year pace now?

Beakermania*

remember the guy was a top 6 forward on a division winning team, that's not bad.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Beakermania said:
remember the guy was a top 6 forward on a division winning team, that's not bad.

On a team that had no 2nd line forward, and this is the same guy who went missing in the playoffs, and only got the points he did because of Nylander

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
So we're cranking out "SUPERSTARS" at a 5 per year pace now?

No, but I would bet that all the teams with a top 5 pick are hoping for least a 70-80 point player or equivalent defenseman/goaltender. Heck, the Devils picked Parise at 17, and I'd be hesitent to trade him for Bergeron. Bergeron is now proven, and there's an awful lot to be said for that, but you can't fault teams for betting that other guys will be even better.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Blackjack said:
No, but I would bet that all the teams with a top 5 pick are hoping for least a 70-80 point player or equivalent defenseman/goaltender. Heck, the Devils picked Parise at 17, and I'd be hesitent to trade him for Bergeron. Bergeron is now proven, and there's an awful lot to be said for that, but you can't fault teams for betting that other guys will be even better.

I like Parise but I think 70-80 points is more likely for Bergeron. That said, you hold the majority view on this board that Bergeron has "no hope" of becoming a 70-80 point player.

Parise (7/28/84) is a full year older than Bergeron 7/24/85.

"IF" Parise makes NHL next year he will be two years older as a rookie than Bergeron was.

"IF" Parise gets 39 points as a 20 year old rookie it would seem reasonable to "hope" he will eventually be scoring70-80.

So WHY is it that Bergeron, at 18, is thought to have such a limited upside.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
rnyquist said:
On a team that had no 2nd line forward, and this is the same guy who went missing in the playoffs, and only got the points he did because of Nylander
You obviously didn't watch the series. Bergeron was one of Boston's best forwards and in fact, several of Nylander's points were a result of plays started by Patrice.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Ovechkin would be #1 in almost any draft, though I'd be happy with Bergeron as the #2 pick in the '04 Draft. His development has improved drastically and he shows all the NHL tools.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Granted this comparison is a little off, but go with me.

Bergeron 18 years old 16 goals (7 PP) 23 assists 39 points (2nd rounder)
Trevor Letowski 22 years old 19 goals (3 PP)20 assists 39 points.(7th rounder)

I include the rounds the players were drafted in to say that a lot of 7th rounders don't play in the NHL at 22 years old either. Similar to 2nd rounders at 18.

Letowski was impressive his rookie year on a decent Phoenix team and hasn't done anything much since.

So to say the Bergeron is will be a star, and he is proven, is a bit of a stretch.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
I like Parise but I think 70-80 points is more likely for Bergeron. That said, you hold the majority view on this board that Bergeron has "no hope" of becoming a 70-80 point player.

Parise (7/28/84) is a full year older than Bergeron 7/24/85.

"IF" Parise makes NHL next year he will be two years older as a rookie than Bergeron was.

"IF" Parise gets 39 points as a 20 year old rookie it would seem reasonable to "hope" he will eventually be scoring70-80.

So WHY is it that Bergeron, at 18, is thought to have such a limited upside.

Parise have a lot more upside then Bergeron. He can be a superstar with the set of skills he have. On the other end, Bergeron don't have anything to say he can become a star. He will be the kind of player who will be effective in every zone but nothing more. He will do the job and the coach will like him but he will never be a star...

***And by the way, he didn't prouve nothing. He had a great 1st season but maybe he will pan out at 50 points...

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
rnyquist said:

try watching a bruins game before making ridiculous and outlandish claims such as this

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Parise have a lot more upside then Bergeron. He can be a superstar with the set of skills he have. On the other end, Bergeron don't have anything to say he can become a star. He will be the kind of player who will be effective in every zone but nothing more. He will do the job and the coach will like him but he will never be a star...

***And by the way, he didn't prouve nothing. He had a great 1st season but maybe he will pan out at 50 points...

jealous habs fans...all i know is that bergeron will be better than both ryder AND ribeiro, and he doesn't go down to the ice when tapped on the pads

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
neelynugs said:
jealous habs fans...all i know is that bergeron will be better than both ryder AND ribeiro, and he doesn't go down to the ice when tapped on the pads
As much as i love Bergeron, i however am unsure that he will be a better player than Ryder. Time will tell i guess. As for Riberrio's, i have lost all respect for him and probably do all the other NHLers.
I would take Bergeron #3 in the Draft this year.
I am just glad he is a Bruin!!

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
neelynugs said:

I"m not jealous...just take a look at our farm team...YOU should be jealous!!! I think Ryder will score more goal then Bergeron so, Ryder will be a better scorer. For Ribeiro, with the last playoff, I lose some respect to. Overall, Bergeron will probably be a better player then Ribs but Ribeiro could put more point then Patrice.

So, will Patrice be better then: Ryder-NO
Ribeiro-Yes

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Freaky Habs Fan said:
I"m not jealous...just take a look at our farm team...YOU should be jealous!!! I think Ryder will score more goal then Bergeron so, Ryder will be a better scorer. For Ribeiro, with the last playoff, I lose some respect to. Overall, Bergeron will probably be a better player then Ribs but Ribeiro could put more point then Patrice.

So, will Patrice be better then: Ryder-NO
Ribeiro-Yes

I like Ryder but he IS 24. Bergeron is only 18. IF Bergeron's upside is limited to around 65 points as most on this board seem to think then you are probably right.

But if that's the case, Bergeron is approaching his peak. I see no sign of this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad