Where would be the most logical place to move a team?

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
A quick look at the NHL schedule shows that the same number of games are played during the week as on the weekends and sometimes more games during the week

And if you took a closer look at the schedule, you would notice that the schedule differs and is suited for each team (ie) Toronto Maple Leafs play every Saturday throughout the regular season.

No, not on occasions, but in looking at most schedules that would involve leaving early at least once a week. Very few employers are going to be happy with that.

Not every job is nine to five. Not every fan purchase tickets to every single game, many purchase mini-packs or buy tickets to individual games.

Just because 47,825 fans can afford to go to games does not mean they will go to games. There are other things in life besides hockey. If your assumption was true then every team in every league would sell out every game.

You do realize I only factored in one percent of the population? Southern Ontario has actual hockey fans…
I am quite sure Hamilton and the surrounding area can muster up a bit more than one percent…Next time your in Toronto, go try and purchase a ticket…Good luck.

Except New York had two NL teams that moved, two sets of fans heartbroken and looking for a new team (which is why the Mets came to New York) that hated the Yankees.

You obviously don’t know what it is like to be a hockey fan in Toronto…they are heart-broken every year.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
so they dont cover it because it's not that important to them , is that what you' re
saying?

High School cricket is more important to them than NHL hockey...

The NHL comes in slightly higher than dwarf wheel-chair wrestling. :D

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
its funny because when the thrashers were in the playoffs against the rangers, on one friday the free press had i believe nine PAGES of hockey, the atlanta paper had three ARTICLES.but atlanta is a better market than winnipeg:shakehead

lemieux32*

And if you took a closer look at the schedule, you would notice that the schedule differs and is suited for each team (ie) Toronto Maple Leafs play every Saturday throughout the regular season.

Wait, you said the "bulk of the games are on weekends, not that the Leafs play every saturday. You also did not specify a team, but said "NHL games." Changing tacts to be correct?

Not every job is nine to five. Not every fan purchase tickets to every single game, many purchase mini-packs or buy tickets to individual games.

Doesn't really address my point, but tries to sidestep it. Sure not every job is 9-5 (actually most are more like 8-5 these days, but I guess that's being picky) some work 5pm-2am, so while some may be able to try to leave work early others would have to miss work altogether

You do realize I only factored in one percent of the population? Southern Ontario has actual hockey fans…
I am quite sure Hamilton and the surrounding area can muster up a bit more than one percent…Next time your in Toronto, go try and purchase a ticket…Good luck.

You made the statement as if a sellout is guaranteed for a team in Hamilton forever while other cities can't possibly do that but you choose to ignore the realities of life. Once again you don't address most of what I said...that seems to be a trend with you.

You obviously don’t know what it is like to be a hockey fan in Toronto…they are heart-broken every year.

and you obviously have no clue what I posted or what occurred in New York. To be honest comparing crappy Leafs teams to people losing their team just mkes you look like a fool.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Wait, you said the "bulk of the games are on weekends, not that the Leafs play every saturday. You also did not specify a team, but said "NHL games." Changing tacts to be correct?

Doesn't really address my point, but tries to sidestep it. Sure not every job is 9-5 (actually most are more like 8-5 these days, but I guess that's being picky) some work 5pm-2am, so while some may be able to try to leave work early others would have to miss work altogether

You made the statement as if a sellout is guaranteed for a team in Hamilton forever while other cities can't possibly do that but you choose to ignore the realities of life. Once again you don't address most of what I said...that seems to be a trend with you.

and you obviously have no clue what I posted or what occurred in New York. To be honest comparing crappy Leafs teams to people losing their team just mkes you look like a fool.

what occurance (spelling?) in new york are you talking about lemieux32?

lemieux32*

what occurance (spelling?) in new york are you talking about lemieux32?

A comment was made about the Mets having fans in New York while the Yankees were their much longer. I explained how New York lost two NL teams and those fans, who hated the Yankees, were the biggest reason New York got an expansion team.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
its funny because when the thrashers were in the playoffs against the rangers, on one friday the free press had i believe nine PAGES of hockey, the atlanta paper had three ARTICLES.

Whoa... Now that's what I want to hear! Great! Assuming of course that it's true, and I have no reason to think not.
I hope it wasn't a one time thing, a special edition about hockey, which won't be seen again unless Atlanta again makes the playoffs. But thumbs up!

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
lemieux. Dude.

Every argument you are making applies to every NHL team.

I have correctly pointed out the Hamilton has more than 5,000,000 people within a 45 minute radius...in an area that in full of hockey fans...

How many American cities can claim make the same claim?

Why are you arguing that Hamilton cannot support a team when obviously it can....and will (See Jim Balsillie)

MORE THAN 7000 PEOPLE PUT DOWN DEPOSITS FOR SEASON TICKETS IN ONE DAY ALONE!!

And that was for the 2009 season!!

Give your head a shake...

btw, the Toronto statement was an obvious joke.

Last edited:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yeah, maybe you should. Don't see why you're offended unless that's your other account. :shakehead

My ego isn't so fragile that I can't discredit myself ocassionally. The same can't be said for everyone.

I don't see why you didn't answer my questions. :shakehead... or maybe to answer them it would be too threatening to your ego. They were:

Where did BrianSTC actually say anything about contracting the teams in Florida or any other southern city?

Where did you say anything to actually contradict what BrianSTC said in his first post?

And what actually did BrianSTC say that is incorrect?

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Whoa... Now that's what I want to hear! Great! Assuming of course that it's true, and I have no reason to think not.
I hope it wasn't a one time thing, a special edition about hockey, which won't be seen again unless Atlanta again makes the playoffs. But thumbs up!

i dont understand what you're saying.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
its funny because when the thrashers were in the playoffs against the rangers, on one friday the free press had i believe nine PAGES of hockey, the atlanta paper had three ARTICLES.but atlanta is a better market than winnipeg:shakehead

the date was april 13th and the news papers were the winnipeg sun( not the free press...oops) and the atlanta journal/constitution.

lemieux32*

lemieux. Dude.

Every argument you are making applies to every NHL team.

I have correctly pointed out the Hamilton has more than 5,000,000 people within a 45 minute radius...in an area that in full of hockey fans...

Full of fans of other teams, but in your fantasy world they are suddenly going to switch allegiances.

[QUOTE}How many American cities can claim 5,000,000 people within a 45 minute radius?[/QUOTE]
How about Paramus, New Jersey? How about Oxnard, California? Gary, Indiana? Waxahachie, Texas? Delray Beach, Florida? Athens, Georgia? Ann Arbor, Michigan? Framingham, Mass? Los Gatos, California?

Why are you arguing that Hamilton cannot support a team when obviously it can....and will (See Jim Balsillie)

MORE THAN 7000 PEOPLE PUT DOWN DEPOSITS FOR SEASON TICKETS IN ONE DAY ALONE!!

And that if for the 2009 season!!

When did I say anything about Hamilton not being able to support a team? I was simply pointing out the horridly flawed logic of your arguments trumpeting Hamilton. By the way stop getting so worked up and yelling, you'll have a stroke.

Give your head a shake...

I have...reading your posts today

btw, the Toronto statement was an obvious joke.

Yeah, surrrrrre.:shakehead

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
A comment was made about the Mets having fans in New York while the Yankees were their much longer. I explained how New York lost two NL teams and those fans, who hated the Yankees, were the biggest reason New York got an expansion team.

yes the city will always be a national league town even when the yanks win. when the mets win it always seems tht the whole city is behind 'em.funny how many yankee hats i see in winnipeg though. igrew up isles mets jets( from queens) .

GSC2k2*

When the Toronto Maple Leafs are in the playoffs, 95 percent of the ENTIRE population of southern Ontario (and a good percentage of all Candians) are following the team. It is front page news.

You see, it is crapola like this that is just so unnecessary.

Brian, there is no place where 95% of people ANYWHERE are even sports fans, let alone hockey fans. Every Saturday, 31 million Canadians do something otehr than watch the flagship hockey telecast which draws more Canadians to the TV than any other. The vast majority of Canadians have never set foot inside a rink, let alone played the game. Do you not understand that over 50% of the population are not the same sex as you, and (with apologies to those board members who are women) there is a VERY low rate of participation and/or interest in the sport as compared to men? Why do you need to engage in such hyperbole? Canadian hockey interest per capita is higher than in the US. Everyone grants that. There is no need to engage in exaggeration. However, tens (as in plural of ten) of millions of Canadians could not give a s**t about hockey. Not now, not ever.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
the date was april 13th and the news papers were the winnipeg sun( not the free press...oops) and the atlanta journal/constitution.

Oh, excuse my error in understanding... I thought that you were talking about 2 "Atlanta" papers. oops. :D

But 3 articles isn't bad, I suppose, for an Atlanta paper.

GSC2k2*

Southern Ontario has a population of 11,400,000.

The population of Hamilton and the surrounding area, lets say within a 90 minute drive would not be too unreasonable:

Hamilton has a population of 504,559.
Hamilton is 45 minutes from Toronto (pop. 2,503,000)
Hamilton is 32 minutes from Mississauga (pop. 668,550)
Hamilton is 43 minutes from Brampton (pop. 433,800)
Hamilton is 87 minutes from London (pop. 352,400)
Hamilton is 64 minutes from Markham (pop. 261,575)
Hamilton is 58 minutes from Vaughan (pop. 240,000)
Hamilton is 55 minutes from Kitchener (pop. 205,000)
Hamilton is 22 minutes from Oakville (pop. 165,500)
Hamilton is 13 minutes from Burlington (pop. 164,500)
Hamilton is 62 minutes from Richmond Hill (pop. 162,700)
Hamilton is 81 minutes from Oshawa (pop. 141,600)
Hamilton is 45 minutes from St Catherines (pop. 132,000)
Hamilton is 93 minutes from Barrie (pop. 128,400)
Hamilton is 44 minutes from Cambridge (pop. 120,400)
Hamilton is 50 minutes from Guelph (pop. 115,000)
Hamilton is 81 minutes from Whitby (pop. 111,000)
Hamilton is 59 minutes from Waterloo (pop. 97,500)
Hamilton is 33 minutes from Brantford (pop. 90,200)
Hamilton is 75 minutes from Ajax (pop. 90,100)
Hamilton is 72 minutes from Pickering (pop. 87,800)
Hamilton is 59 minutes from Niagara Falls (pop. 82,200)
Hamilton is 93 minutes from Clarington (pop 77,800)
Hamilton is 78 minutes from Newmarket (pop. 74,300)
Hamilton is 66 minutes from Norfolk (pop.62,550)

Total: 7,072,475

There is actually more towns but I believe we have surpassed the magic number.

Wow. Sorry, but you are completely nuts.

Tell you what. IF you can drive - just to pick but one lunacy you have just spouted - from Ajax to Hamilton in 75 minutes during a weekday (I am tempted to suggest even on a Saturday), I will never post here again.

Please refrain from discussing travel times unless you actually live here. The fact of the matter is - as i have outliend in a post of mine that has been discussed around here - is that the one-hour cutoff for travel time is Mississauga (and not all of it). There are approximately 2.5 million people living within that area, including Hamilton. A big number, for sure, but not 7 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Possible NHL expansion sites according to lemieux:

Gary, Indiana located near Chicago – Blackhawks average attendance 12,727 – rank 29
Blackhawks can’t even fill their own arena, but the NHL should put another team there just in case…

Paramus, New Jersey near New York – Islanders average attendance 12,886 – rank 28t - Devils average attendance 14,176 – rank 26
- Rangers average attendance 18,200 – rank 11

North America’s most populous city has three teams, two of which are bottom feeders for average attendance.

Oxnard, California near Los Angeles – Kings average attendance 16,659 – rank 16
- Ducks average attendance 16,363 – rank 20

LA has two team including the Stanley Cup champs, Anaheim, that barely makes it into the top 20 attendance.

Waxahachie, Texas near Dallas – Star average attendance 17,914 – rank 12
I smell expansion to Waxahachie!! The Waxahachie Weenies perhaps?

Delray Beach, Florida near Miami – Panthers average attendance 15,370 – rank 22
Do you really think the poor Panthers need any competition for their 15,000 fans?

Ann Arbor, Michigan near Detroit – Wings average attendance 20,066 – rank 2
At last! I smell hockey country!!

Framingham, Mass near Boston – Bruins average attendance 14,764 – rank 22
Ooops…we’re slipping again. Maybe we should try to fill up the Garden first, huh?

Los Gatos, California near San Jose – Sharks average attendance 17,422 – rank 14
Hey! Not bad…I think expansion is possible here…How bout the California Golden Seals?

Athens, Georgia near Atlanta - Thrashers average attendance 16,229 – rank 21
First We Take Manhattan….er…Nashville, then we take Atlanta

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Brian, there is no place where 95% of people ANYWHERE are even sports fans, let alone hockey fans.

Dude. It is an exaggeration. I was gonna say 99.9% but I thought that would be too obvious. I guess not. I am not gonna waste my time looking up exact figures in order to prove that there are a lot of hockey fans in the Hamilton area. It is obvious…

Please refrain from discussing travel times unless you actually live here. The fact of the matter is - as i have outliend in a post of mine that has been discussed around here - is that the one-hour cutoff for travel time is Mississauga (and not all of it). There are approximately 2.5 million people living within that area, including Hamilton. A big number, for sure, but not 7 million.

My bad.
Google maps.
Remember, the point to all this is that people are insinuating that Hamilton would not be an excellent hockey market.

The vast majority of Hamilton fans are obviously gonna to come from Hamilton. But Hamilton will draw fans from a lot farther than you think. I personally know several people who drive into Vancouver from Langley, Abbottsford, and Chilliwack to see the Canucks play on a regular basis. So it is not unreasonable to assume the same will be true for Hamilton.

Levizk

Feb 12, 2007
Monroeville, PA
Possible NHL expansion sites according to lemieux:

Gary, Indiana located near Chicago – Blackhawks average attendance 12,727 – rank 29
Blackhawks can’t even fill their own arena, but the NHL should put another team there just in case…

Paramus, New Jersey near New York – Islanders average attendance 12,886 – rank 28t - Devils average attendance 14,176 – rank 26
- Rangers average attendance 18,200 – rank 11

North America’s most populous city has three teams, two of which are bottom feeders for average attendance.

Oxnard, California near Los Angeles – Kings average attendance 16,659 – rank 16
- Ducks average attendance 16,363 – rank 20

LA has two team including the Stanley Cup champs, Anaheim, that barely makes it into the top 20 attendance.

Waxahachie, Texas near Dallas – Star average attendance 17,914 – rank 12
I smell expansion to Waxahachie!! The Waxahachie Weenies perhaps?

Delray Beach, Florida near Miami – Panthers average attendance 15,370 – rank 22
Do you really think the poor Panthers need any competition for their 15,000 fans?

Ann Arbor, Michigan near Detroit – Wings average attendance 20,066 – rank 2
At last! I smell hockey country!!

Framingham, Mass near Boston – Bruins average attendance 14,764 – rank 22
Ooops…we’re slipping again. Maybe we should try to fill up the Garden first, huh?

Los Gatos, California near San Jose – Sharks average attendance 17,422 – rank 14
Hey! Not bad…I think expansion is possible here…How bout the California Golden Seals?

Athens, Georgia near Atlanta - Thrashers average attendance 16,229 – rank 21
First We Take Manhattan….er…Nashville, then we take Atlanta

Good job at missing the guy's point entirely, and in essence helping to support exactly what he was trying to convey.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Try it with another thread, folks - this time, make the discussions relevant and not on each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->