Where will the Jackets finish this season

Where will Jackets finish 2018-19 Season?

• Total voters

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ya, its not that easy to claim they suck, when they don't. You don't think the team is good, I/we get it. But, why force it? You just throw everything out there until something sticks, highlighted there, as major called you out on contradicting yourself in a matter of a couple sentences and during the same "point" being made.

Holy shit, pot calling the kettle black much?

Let me know where in that post I said the CBJ suck. Because I didn't. Unless you are implying that every non-playoff team sucks.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
PIT
WSH (by less than 3 points ahead of #3)
CBJ
PHI
---
NJD
NYI
CAR
NYR

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
PIT
PHI
WSH
CAR
------------------------------------
CBJ
NJD
NYR
NYI

TB
TOR
BOS
FLA
------------------------------------
BUF
MTL
DET
OTT

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I find it interesting that his model has us as being the 3rd most "top heavy" team in the league. It makes sense, thinking about how much we struggled last year, but I really thought our depth was better at F.
I've enjoyed so many articles in The Athletic and Dom's piece may have been my favorite yet. His model and assessments seem strong - spot on in pretty much every aspect. And I think he nailed it with the top heavy nature of this team, which is particularly pronounced at the forward. Indeed the second and third lines look interchangeable and NOT in a particularly good way.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've enjoyed so many articles in The Athletic and Dom's piece may have been my favorite yet. His model and assessments seem strong - spot on in pretty much every aspect. And I think he nailed it with the top heavy nature of this team, which is particularly pronounced at the forward. Indeed the second and third lines look interchangeable and NOT in a particularly good way.

Just using your assessment/reaction to that piece (which I agree was a great read) as a jumping off point, not to take issue with anything you specifically have said...

But I do find it interesting that until a couple seasons ago, the strength of the team was its depth and that it wasn't over-reliant on any one player or line for its scoring, and now, with the addition of an elite scorer (and all-around player, but that's not the point of this post) and the emergence of PLD alongside Panarin and the team's elite top D pairing, that all of a sudden its top-heavy.

I'm sure there are explanations for said (the drop-off of the veteran guys like Foligno and Dubi, the stalling of guys like Wennberg, Bjorkstrand and Jenner, etc), but in a macro sense it's funny to me.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
1. PIT (because, why not?)
2. WSH (may have a little Cup hangover but will be good)
3. CBJ (best goalie in the league, best top pair in the league, legit first line)
4. NJD (better than they seem)
5. PHI (terrible head coach/goaltending)
6. CAR (bad goaltending, can't put the puck in the net)
7. NYR (will be close to the middle of the league, but will get eaten by the division)
8. NYI (zero defense/goaltending, only one line that is threatening)

Again, this is a business. They finish this high because they don't trade Bread or Bob, because playoffs and ticket sales = $$$

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just using your assessment/reaction to that piece (which I agree was a great read) as a jumping off point, not to take issue with anything you specifically have said...

But I do find it interesting that until a couple seasons ago, the strength of the team was its depth and that it wasn't over-reliant on any one player or line for its scoring, and now, with the addition of an elite scorer (and all-around player, but that's not the point of this post) and the emergence of PLD alongside Panarin and the team's elite top D pairing, that all of a sudden its top-heavy.

I'm sure there are explanations for said (the drop-off of the veteran guys like Foligno and Dubi, the stalling of guys like Wennberg, Bjorkstrand and Jenner, etc), but in a macro sense it's funny to me.

The middle six looks worse, no doubt. I can think of several reasons:

1) This one is solely in the model, not reality - in Dom's model he evaluated Dubinsky as below-replacement in the 3C position, when we all know he'll either improve or lose those minutes. Dubinsky was a 4th liner last year.

2) Foligno has lost a step.

3) For other players the decline is likely just temporary - it's really hard to argue that last year is the new normal for Jenner and Wennberg.

4) Moving Cam to the topline changed the way things look. He scored 60+ points in 2016-17 when he was technically in the middle-six. Our topline then was Saad-Wennberg-Foligno - so we improved that topline across the board, but moving Cam came at the expense of the middle of the lineup. It didn't in any way make the team worse.

Bjorkstrand and Anderson aren't an issue, Dom rates them decently for middle six wings.

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
1. PIT (because, why not?)
2. WSH (may have a little Cup hangover but will be good)
3. CBJ (best goalie in the league, best top pair in the league, legit first line)
4. NJD (better than they seem)
5. PHI (terrible head coach/goaltending)
6. CAR (bad goaltending, can't put the puck in the net)
7. NYR (will be close to the middle of the league, but will get eaten by the division)
8. NYI (zero defense/goaltending, only one line that is threatening)

Again, this is a business. They finish this high because they don't trade Bread or Bob, because playoffs and ticket sales = $$$
My view was pessimistic, and I stand by it, but you have the right way of looking at this. We're a good team. Until we're not.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I always come in low, and this year's no different. The questions around this team have me anxious. I don't see us making the playoffs because aside from Panarin, and to a lesser extent Cam and PLD, I don't see guys willing/able to be consistent threats. I hope to be very wrong and for some magic to happen, though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I always come in low, and this year's no different. The questions around this team have me anxious. I don't see us making the playoffs because aside from Panarin, and to a lesser extent Cam and PLD, I don't see guys willing/able to be consistent threats. I hope to be very wrong and for some magic to happen, though.

Zach Werenski.

Reactions: db2011

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I believe they are a bubble playoff team with Panarin and Bob. Without them not so much, but that's why they play the games.

As for Panarin, if he was in Carolina or Phoenix do you think Cbus would be on his list? He randomly wound up in Cbus due to a trade so from his standpoint he has no allegiance to this team. If he did, he would have signed by now.

I hope I am wrong but I get the feeling that if Bob and Panarin both abandon ship that the morale will plummet and the team will sink to the bottom, then others will want out. This team is not on the verge of losing their best player they currently have, but the best TWO players they have EVER had! They are going to lose them both at the same time for nothing. How do you recover from that? This will be an organizational low point imo. I hope I am wrong.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
How do you recover from that? This will be an organizational low point imo. I hope I am wrong.

Since the season is bout to start, and the 'poll' becomes a bit obsolete, can we morph this into the 'the organizational low point' thread? I got a couple contenders...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->