Where will the Avs finish this season?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'll go with 4th. Chicago and St. Louis are the class of the division. Winnipeg will have a rough first year in the west. Minnesota isn't a very good team. Nashville has no offense. Dallas takes a step forward.

Chicago
St. Louis

Dallas

Colorado
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Nashville

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'm with Henchman on this. Hawks, Blues and Stars ahead of us, but Minnesota, Jets and Preds are behind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Preds will be better. Guaranteed.

I fail to see that. Their 'improvements' to their forwards is completely uninspiring. Hornqvist is their best forward, and when that is the case, you are in serious trouble. I think they will struggle to score more than 2.3 G/G.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I fail to see that. Their 'improvements' to their forwards is completely uninspiring. Hornqvist is their best forward, and when that is the case, you are in serious trouble. I think they will struggle to score more than 2.3 G/G.

Progression of younger players, stronger depth, Weber won't have a slow start after adjusting to a new partner, and Jones.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I put 4th. Chicago and St Louis are the top and between Min and Dallas...I can see us beating either of them or neither of them

Should make for an interesting division.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Progression of younger players, stronger depth, Weber won't have a slow start after adjusting to a new partner, and Jones.

I just don't see it. Weber had to be in his groove at the end of the season when they finished 1-9-1 with the 1 win over Calgary. Jones won't improve their defense in year 1.

Their forward lines are looking like this:

Stalberg - Cullen - Wilson
Bourque - Fisher - Hornqvist
Smith - Legwand - Forsberg
Hendricks - Gaustad - Nystrom

That is utterly terrible. There are a few 2nd line players like Cullen, Wilson, Fisher, and Hornqvist, a ton of 3rd liners, a 4th line, and a promising rookie.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Avs maybe have the best top 9 in the confrence, next to chicago. I think under a new coaching system they arebetter than st.louis. I put them second in their division.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Just enough to finish outside the playoffs. Winning the draft lottery.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I just don't see it. Weber had to be in his groove at the end of the season when they finished 1-9-1 with the 1 win over Calgary. Jones won't improve their defense in year 1.

Their forward lines are looking like this:

Stalberg - Cullen - Wilson
Bourque - Fisher - Hornqvist
Smith - Legwand - Forsberg
Hendricks - Gaustad - Nystrom

That is utterly terrible. There are a few 2nd line players like Cullen, Wilson, Fisher, and Hornqvist, a ton of 3rd liners, a 4th line, and a promising rookie.

I think you're mistaken on Jones. He can have a Myers type impact right away. As bad as that offense it might still be better than last season.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
We'll finish 6th or 7th in the division and I think bottom 5 in the league due to our D being the worst of the bunch and our eternal injury curse.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think you're mistaken on Jones. He can have a Myers type impact right away. As bad as that offense it might still be better than last season.

I might be, but I doubt it. Year 2 is a different story though.

I don't see the better offense... They lost:
Erat - Preds leading scorer at the time of the trade and the previous 2 seasons... 50-60 point player
Kostitsyn - tied for the scoring lead in 10-11 and 4th in 11-12... 50 point player when he cared
Halishuk - finished 6th on the team in goals the last two seasons.. 15g 10a 3rd liner can be be replaced by a player like Nystrom

Replaced them with:
Cullen - Wild #2C last year... hasn't scored over 45 points since 07-08
Stalberg - Only scored over 40 points once in his career.... will be worse in Nashville than Chicago
Nystrom - A 3rd/4th liner
Forsberg - a rookie that will be lucky to get 40 points next season

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
As high as 3rd, as low as 6th. Hard to predict how Dallas, Nashville and Minnesota do. And also hard to say how different the Avs will be. Will the changes be enough to make up a little for the woeful defense? What Varlamov will we see? Etc. On faith alone I'd rank them high not knowing the stuff from their own end, but the externals make it too hard to do anything but guess. In which case, it all depends on mood. Am I feeling pessimistic? Do I not want to look like a homer?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The advanced stats have Avs and Preds as two of the unluckiest teams last year so it's not unreasonable to see those two teams bounce back a bit. It's not meant to be taken as gospel of course but injury luck, shooting luck and being on the wrong side of a lot of a 1 goal and OT games will have a big impact over a short season.

At the same time both teams have some significant question marks (defense and goaltending for Avs and scoring/making the goalies look good for Nashville). But after the top two teams there is no team in the conference without significant question marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->